RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Poorly sealed headlamp cause HID, Adaptive Headlight Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 10:31 PM
Peterpan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poorly sealed headlamp cause HID, Adaptive Headlight Failure

I noticed condensation on my 2008 RX350 driver's side headlamp. It started forming shortly after purchasing in 2008. The owners manual states it may not be a defect to see the dealer. I call the dealership and the service adviser said that as long as it was functioning correctly it should be okay. In February 2011 @ 68,000 miles the low beam went out. I replaced the bulb some $130 bucks later and the light still did not work but would flicker a little then go out. Took to the dealership and was told to repair the headlamp would be $2,072.43....I was floored! I immediately wrote Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department in Torrance, CA and asked for assistance. Two months later no reply so I sent a second letter and still no reply....certainly not what I expected from the company. Searching the net I have read other RX owners having the same problem. Has any other members had this problem and if so did Lexus assist in the expense? Thanks!!!! Pete

Last edited by Peterpan; 11-03-11 at 10:33 PM. Reason: should be sealed not seal
Old 11-04-11, 03:17 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, looks like you've past the 48 months/50K miles point so you're on your own. "Lexus Customer Satisfaction" doesn't apply after you're warranty has expired.
Old 11-04-11, 06:36 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Try talking to the Customer Relations Manager at your Lexus Stealership, maybe they would be willing to split the costs.
Old 11-04-11, 07:20 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterpan
I noticed condensation on my 2008 RX350 driver's side headlamp. It started forming shortly after purchasing in 2008. The owners manual states it may not be a defect to see the dealer. I call the dealership and the service adviser said that as long as it was functioning correctly it should be okay. In February 2011 @ 68,000 miles the low beam went out. I replaced the bulb some $130 bucks later and the light still did not work but would flicker a little then go out. Took to the dealership and was told to repair the headlamp would be $2,072.43....I was floored! I immediately wrote Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department in Torrance, CA and asked for assistance. Two months later no reply so I sent a second letter and still no reply....certainly not what I expected from the company. Searching the net I have read other RX owners having the same problem. Has any other members had this problem and if so did Lexus assist in the expense? Thanks!!!! Pete
Welcome to CL. If you do a search, tons of info on this issue. Good luck with your quest for a solution.
Old 11-05-11, 11:16 PM
soparkar
Driver School Candidate

I have Lexus RX330 with the same issue. I did lot of search online about this issue. I found that Lexus RX 330 models had bad headlight design and water goes inside the headlight. Lot of people complained about this to Lexus. Some of them even filed the law suites. But Lexus did not address anything.

I even called Lexus Torrance Head Office and explained them the issue. They asked me to take it to dealer. They worked with dealer and at the end they said since my car is no longer in warranty, they cannot fix this.

So regarding the issue, there could be two possibilities -

1. Your light bulb could be gone bad. If this is the problem, very easy to replace. Any auto shop can fix it for you.
2. Or Ballast, below the light assembly, is gone bad. Yes. Ballast can also go bad. Water leaks from the headlight and goes all the way to ballast. And then it will short circuit the ballast. Note: Ballast is supposed to be waterproof. But same issue - bad design by Lexus.

In my Lexus RX 330, ballast was gone bad. It had a big corrosion on it. So no wonder it can go bad. I can even send you the picture of my ballast. You will be surprised how bad it looks now.

Regarding purchasing a new one, I called Lexus dealer about the part. And you will be surprised to know that they told me $1010 for ballast. I cannot afford buying such an expensive part from dealer. So I searched on ebay. I found one similar to mine - Denso (Koito) original one from Japan for $86. I purchased it. I am waiting for it to arrive now. Below is the link on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230516035535...ht_1423wt_1060

I am going to take it to a auto shop next week after part arrives. So I can get it fixed.

I hope this helps.

Dont worry. It is poor design by Lexus. And you are not the only one who is facing this problem. We are all in the same pool...By the way, I am surprised. I thought Lexus might fix this issue in new generation i.e. RX 350. But looks like they did not. They are still making the poor design.
Old 11-07-11, 08:15 AM
Peterpan
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Condensation Causing Headlight Failure

Originally Posted by redrocks
Well, looks like you've past the 48 months/50K miles point so you're on your own. "Lexus Customer Satisfaction" doesn't apply after you're warranty has expired.
Already talked to service mgr....no luck. However, there is another dealer here in Atlanta that I am going to see this week...Thanks!
Old 11-07-11, 08:27 AM
Peterpan
Driver School Candidate

Default Headlamp Failure Due to Condensation

Originally Posted by soparkar
I have Lexus RX330 with the same issue. I did lot of search online about this issue. I found that Lexus RX 330 models had bad headlight design and water goes inside the headlight. Lot of people complained about this to Lexus. Some of them even filed the law suites. But Lexus did not address anything.

I even called Lexus Torrance Head Office and explained them the issue. They asked me to take it to dealer. They worked with dealer and at the end they said since my car is no longer in warranty, they cannot fix this.

1. Your light bulb could be gone bad. If this is the problem, very easy to replace. Any auto shop can fix it for you.
2. Or Ballast, below the light assembly, is gone bad. Yes. Ballast can also go bad. Water leaks from the headlight and goes all the way to ballast. And then it will short circuit the ballast. Note: Ballast is supposed to be waterproof. But same issue - bad design by Lexus.

In my Lexus RX 330, ballast was gone bad. It had a big corrosion on it. So no wonder it can go bad. I can even send you the picture of my ballast. You will be surprised how bad it looks now.

Regarding purchasing a new one, I called Lexus dealer about the part. And you will be surprised to know that they told me $1010 for ballast. I cannot afford buying such an expensive part from dealer. So I searched on ebay. I found one similar to mine - Denso (Koito) original one from Japan for $86. I purchased it. I am waiting for it to arrive now. Below is the link on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230516035535...ht_1423wt_1060

I am going to take it to a auto shop next week after part arrives. So I can get it fixed.

I hope this helps.

Dont worry. It is poor design by Lexus. And you are not the only one who is facing this problem. We are all in the same pool...By the way, I am surprised. I thought Lexus might fix this issue in new generation i.e. RX 350. But looks like they did not. They are still making the poor design.
I appreciate your advise and would you please let me know if the ballast correct the problem. I have stopped the condensation by sealing the headlamp around the edges. There was a gap large enough to slide a business card into it....just poor craftsmanship! Again, THANKS!
Old 11-07-11, 08:37 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Peterpan
Already talked to service mgr....no luck. However, there is another dealer here in Atlanta that I am going to see this week...Thanks!
Actually, some dealers have a "Customer Relations Manager", in addition to the Service Manager, find out if your deal has one.

Last edited by redrocks; 11-07-11 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-07-11, 10:33 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

call 1-800-25-lexus for faster response

good luck and keep us posted

Last edited by kickin8; 11-07-11 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 09:33 AM
Peterpan
Driver School Candidate

Default RX Lexus Headlight defect

I still have not got my headlight repaired and wanted to ask you did replacing the ballast correct your problem? I know the bulb is good and am considering replacin g the ballast. Thanks, Pete

Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]
Originally Posted by soparkar

I hope this helps.