RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Major Water Leak - Desperately Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-22, 07:17 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cfh13427
Thank You, I will do this, it's mainly the front Paas carpet that gets Soaked, the water drips off the LF visor onto the seat and carpet. And the headliner gets soaked on that side Too!
I've got the taped the Sunroof off with Blue Painters Tape for now, I don't like doing that either! Thanks Again, Chuck
This won't be too positive, but I've invested a TON of time into this... To the point, I made additional holes in the grommet & tried redirecting the hose to outside of that "pocket" and directly outside the car. I've cleaned it 3x, front to back inside the rocker.

All of these hours yielded nothing... still wet. I got pissed at this POS sunroof setup, since no one used the sunroof - I ran a bead of urethane all around, unplugged the stupid thing and left it alone.
Numerous times I dried it out & extracted water and it was fine for ~1yr.

Now, I notice & think its coming through the useless roof rack... Lifted a trim piece, and saw some rust... Had the hunch as the rear carpets were now getting wet in the same vehicle above. Went to drive it after a heavy rain, and the seat belt was wet-ish/moist.

Next project, rip the POS roof rack off, sand off, clean & seal with more urethane and reinstall the roof rack.

It's a shame I have to put so much work into something so little...
The following 3 users liked this post by 01LEXPL:
Margate330 (07-29-22), MattRX (09-23-22), SJM (07-29-22)
Old 07-29-22, 09:07 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 961 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
This won't be too positive, but I've invested a TON of time into this... To the point, I made additional holes in the grommet & tried redirecting the hose to outside of that "pocket" and directly outside the car. I've cleaned it 3x, front to back inside the rocker.

All of these hours yielded nothing... still wet. I got pissed at this POS sunroof setup, since no one used the sunroof - I ran a bead of urethane all around, unplugged the stupid thing and left it alone.
Numerous times I dried it out & extracted water and it was fine for ~1yr.

Now, I notice & think its coming through the useless roof rack... Lifted a trim piece, and saw some rust... Had the hunch as the rear carpets were now getting wet in the same vehicle above. Went to drive it after a heavy rain, and the seat belt was wet-ish/moist.

Next project, rip the POS roof rack off, sand off, clean & seal with more urethane and reinstall the roof rack.

It's a shame I have to put so much work into something so little...
I park under a carport and dont drive in the rain if I can help it so have no idea if I have leaks or not.
To take the roof rack off, I think the headliner has to come out to get to the bolts maybe.
Sounds like fun!
Old 07-30-22, 04:09 AM
TonyCee
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by draco
I have suffered what some people on the forum have mentioned before, in that my car has wet carpet, particularly in the passenger footwell and I have also noticed on the driver's side as well. My car did have a funky smell quite a few weeks ago, but after a couple of weeks of good strong sunlight and heat that smell went away. At the time I thought maybe some water had spilled and it just needed to dry up.

Yesterday we had a bucket full of rain. Quite heavy and strong. I didn't notice anything yesterday when I got to my car as it was still raining. However this morning I found that the smell was back (that wet carpet / mouldy smell) and I had a few minutes before the next train arrived. I checked quickly and found that the passenger side (in Australia it's the left side of the car facing forwards) carpet had a small wet patch.

Anyway got home after work and proceeded to find out what might be causing the problem. I dismantled part of the passenger side and lifted up the carpet and found that all underneath (the padding / noise proofing) was soaked wet.

I removed the plug that normally sits there and the amount of excess water from that plug to the garage floor was more than I was expecting

** Drain Plug **

I asked my wife to point a hose at the sunroof to see if I could spot where the water was coming from. I noticed that just underneath a big electrical bank sitting just above the carpet, water was basically running out of this hole.

** Close up of the hole where water is pretty much running straight through, basically someone turned a tap on and it just leaks straight into the carpet **

As you can see the closeness to the wiring is dangerously close.

I tried to see if the sunroof holes were blocked and they looked okay. I took some whipper snipper string and tried to feed it down the sunroof holes, but alas did not see where this would come out. I tried searching under the car, but couldn't find the spot where the water would normally drain out. The string went in and I fed it through, but eventually I hit a block somewhere but I don't know if this is a problem or just the string couldn't twist to get where it needed to.

Can anyone help here please? I need to find out why there is water spilling into my cabin at the footwell. This has started to ruin my carpet and getting into the car with that smell surely isn't good for my or my family's health. Does anyone know where this is meant to be draining out underneath the car? How do I fix this leak without spending a fortune? I urgently need assistance here.
Make sure both drain lines for the A/C, that extend bottom of the vehicle, are clear. Use a "Puff, just Puff" of compressed air to achieve this. As I posted earlier, I discovered that my floor leaks appear to generate at the center console where the A/C unit sends air to the rear passenger's.
The following users liked this post:
fred9xx (07-30-22)
Old 09-23-22, 01:18 PM
Shaquille
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
Well the car is going into Lexus on Wednesday/Thursday next week to investigate the issue. From what I have described to Lexus (although it is yet to be confirmed) they have advised that it sounds as though one of the drain holes might have become dislodged and hence why the water is pouring out where it is. I called Lexus and Toyota only, as they would be best to investigate this issue and the difference is $12 for the labour cost per hour. Lexus obviously is the more dearer one but seeing as they will have everything for it (as Toyota like to pretend they don't know anything about Lexus) it is the best dealer to go to. Also Lexus will give me a complementary car (which you still pay for) whereas Toyota won't. So hopefully my the end of next week, I will know what the problem is and how much it's going to cost to fix it.

Would it be fair to say that the storm that really caused this was heavy enough to dislodge the pipes in the car so that I could see if insurance would cover it?
mine went in , don't know what the dealership is doing , but billing me 2000 , my wires were all soaked on thr bottom right passenger foot side , all water on the mat aswell , lexus dealership, told mr they will dry everything out , fix blown fuses 189 dollars per hour so they calculated 2000 dollars as per hours , i still think it is a robbery as i can understand parts being expensive but labor 2000 , who gets 2000 per day as a labour .
Old 09-23-22, 03:08 PM
cfh13427
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaquille
mine went in , don't know what the dealership is doing , but billing me 2000 , my wires were all soaked on thr bottom right passenger foot side , all water on the mat aswell , lexus dealership, told mr they will dry everything out , fix blown fuses 189 dollars per hour so they calculated 2000 dollars as per hours , i still think it is a robbery as i can understand parts being expensive but labor 2000 , who gets 2000 per day as a labour .
Hi, That's what the dealers around here (Fairfax Virginia) charge P/Hr.
The Tech gets paid a certain amount "Per Unit" hour, and it's Nowhere near that amount!
Every job is assigned a "Per Unit" hour, determined by the Manufacturer.
The amount the Tech is paid, is determined by his Experience level and his value to the Dealer and Most Important- the "Unit Hour" that job is given.
The Techs are No Longer paid 50/50 of the labor rate the dealer charges You! , those days are Gone.
The Tech makes his $$$ if he completes the Job in Less time than the Job calls For.
if the job pays 5 "Unit Hrs" and he completes it in 3 hrs, he still gets paid for 5! and You get billed/charged for 5 hours.
If it takes him longer to complete the job than is called for, and No Extenuating Circumstances, then You still are charged the original 5 hours, but that Rarely Happens!! The Customer is Almost always charged for the "Additional Labor Time".
That's just the way it is!
BTW, Toyota and Lexus are just about the Only Manufacturers that has the Water Leakage problems with the Sunroof!! On these cars the Sunroof Seal is NOT meant to be 100% Watertight/Waterproof!! More like 75%!
They count on Many Poorly routed drains to drain the water that easily gets past the sunroof seal!
A Very Poor Design, and it hasn't been fixed Yet!!
I just replaced the Sunroof Seal in my 2005 Lexus RX330 with a New Factory OEM seal. After seeing how it's made and installed, it's No Wonder they Leak!!
PS- it's Very Easy to seal the Roof Rack around the Bolts, the bolts come out from the Top, the headliner doesn't need to be dropped or anything like that.
I removed my Roof Rack to repaint it and to remove the Cross Bars!
I Hope this Helps!
Old 03-06-23, 04:44 PM
spins06
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water on the floor, driver side

I noticed driver’s side floor is very wet in my Lexus RX 3500, 2007 (at the picture it’s already dry)

Does anybody know what could be a reason?

Last edited by spins06; 03-06-23 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Updates
Old 03-07-23, 06:16 AM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

Classic water leaking into the cabin. Culprit is usually water seeping through the bolt holes of the roof rack. This can also happen on the rear side where the other set of bolts are. I took out the racks and applied sealant to the bolts and stopped the leaks. Good luck.
Old 05-01-23, 01:38 PM
SimCity
1st Gear

Default How?!

Originally Posted by schicmg
2009 RX350. I solved my wet carpet saga after many attempts.

The forward sunroof drains terminate in the A-pillar where there is a grommet between the A-pillar and the rocker panel. This grommet was plugged with debris allowing the lower A-pillar to fill with water and drain into the footwell. Clear the debris and never had wet carpets again. Chasing the drain hose with a wire WILL NOT clear this, they are not connected.

Looking down into the base of the A-pillar. Drain tube seen on left. Grommet after cleaning.

Same grommet before cleaning.
Ok so this looks like you've figured this out. Is there any videos of how to get to this area to clean it out?
Old 11-19-23, 04:40 PM
mbphifer
8th Gear

Took my Rx 2018 in water on fuse junction box drivers footwell..caused engine light to come on, code read O2 sensorl Dealer dried it, scraped some corrosion and light has been off two wks. Said if it happens again replace box and harness $6200, $2000 of that for laborl. Still cant get wire all way thr drain sunroof tubes nor compressed air. Need to go in from the bottom next.