RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

235 mile road trip to check out a CPO Lexus 2009 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-11, 07:36 AM
nmtomcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I expected more from Lexus hearing about all the CPO commercials on TV.

So much for my Brandywine adventure. I will hold on a while longer before pulling the trigger on a vehicle.
It makes me just want to repair my old RX and just keep it going. It ran 10 hours straight without a whimper!
What a car!

Thanks to all for your input to this thread, you guys are great!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

-barryst[/QUOTE]

Barry,

I can pretty much confirm your impression of the Lexus CPO. I bought a 2009 Brandywine Mica RX350 this past January. The dealer had two of them in stock, a 2008 and a 2009. The 2009 had fairly high mileage (62,000), but was in great condition. It even had new Michelins, so the salesman said.

I noticed the moisture in the right headlight, and they replaced it. The also touched up some dings in the paint. The salesman told me it had new Michelins on it, but unfortunately, I didn't notice the tires were over 50 percent worn for a couple of weeks. The salesman could not "remember" telling me the tires were new, and the sales manager would not do anything about them.

A few months later, I was not happy with the way the RX was driving, and had an alignment at the best alignment shop in Albuquerque. They noted initially that the alignment was "way" out and that the front brakes were down to 20 percent of the brake pads left. At that time, I had only put about 2600 miles on the RX.

Taking the car back to Lexus of Albuquerque, they finally agreed to replace the front brakes and turn the rotors. The service writer showed me the CPO paper where the brakes and alignment were marked within CPO specs. After I made a few comments about the tech faking the information on the report, he admitted the tech and his supervisor were no longer there. I got the idea they were fired, but he did not verify that. He also checked the tire treads, but again, the sales manager would not do anything about them.

I have nearly always had used cars I was considering checked over by a trusted mechanic, but due to the CPO warranty, did not have that done this time. I am sure Manual would have caught just about everything that needed repair had he checked it.

I have purchased two Lexus RXs from this dealer, but clearly let them know that I would be going elsewhere for the next car I buy.

Neal

Last edited by nmtomcat; 12-25-11 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-25-11, 02:06 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryst
Sorry I didn't get back to the forum last night, I was still summarizing my thoughts of the day.

I was disappointed in what Lexus calls CPO vehicles that are supposed to be "ready for sale"
I personally believe it's wrong to blame Lexus, Just that it was a bad dealership experience that you had. Some dealers are better than others. Although I live in New York, that's why I went out to Jersey to look for and service my vehicle and even then there's no guaranty.

The first Brandywine with 35,000 miles had way too many scratches on the door handles and bumpers.
Also looks like it had a paint repair on the passenger’s side front fender. I did not like the repair someone attempted. It looked like orange peel finish, with the paint not looking as metallic as the drivers side.
Passenger side black leather armrest had a rip in the leather. Driver side window controls silver plastic benzel was also pretty scratched as well.

The second Brandywine RX was in the second row. 44,XXX miles. (The one I originally wanted) It had much better paint. (Except for some glue or epoxy someone dripped on the rear Lexus logo underneath the rear wiper). I was really interested in this car, until I started it up. It had such a "drone" noise (Muffler?) and vibration when in drive with foot on the brake. I couldn't believe they didn't hear and repair this! Salesman quickly says that can be repaired. It should have been done when it was "Certified". There was also 3 tires replaced, along with the battery.(Carfax Report) Why just 3 tires, and not all 4?
I think at this point you should of left. CPO or not, that would of been your issue if you left off the lot with it. Keep in mind, some sales people will do or say anything to get rid of that car. Each day it's on the lot it's costing them money. Be thankful you actually went out there and saw it for yourself.

Carfax and Autocheck are not perfect. A good idea in the future is to check Lexus own website. You can put in a VIN# and see if it's been serviced at it's facilities. You can goto Lexus.com and in the upper right side, it says Owner Resources, and then select My Lexus, or you can go to https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do and check the vin there.

I really was not happy, but went inside to see what the salesman would do for us.
Your time is valuable. I know you had your heart set on it, but 1.) it was close to the 50K mark and 2.) You discovered issues during the test drive. It would of been better time hitting the road to the next Lexus dealer. Don't let them waste your time, they're not there to save you money or to be your friend, they want to move cars off the lot.

When I purchased my USED 99 RX with 46,000 miles, was in much better shape when I purchased it at an Acura dealer!
Funny, because I purchase my Lexus from an Acura dealer also. They couldn't CPO it so I wind up buying a Platinum warranty.

I think those commercials with the pay your first month's payment were for new 2012 cars, but I could be mistaken. Sorry to hear that you didn't get the car that you wanted but think of it this way, it's a good thing you didn't get stuck with a car that would of been problems. Next time you head up this way, plan to check out a few dealerships, not just one. Also check back in these threads. In my short time being here, I've learned a lot and save a lot of money. Folks here have some really good insight. Think of this place as a networking tool.

Best wishes to you and your family and happy holidays.
Old 12-25-11, 02:24 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://youtu.be/szPE_YCjc6g?t=26s

One more thing about the tires. It was good that you checked them out or notice that 3 of four of them were replaced. I've been told that replacing tires is a way to hide problems with the steering and other serious issues with a car. I'm not saying it was the case with the vehicle you looked at, but you never know.

I've also learned from this site that you can look on the side wall of the tire and see when it was manufactured. There's four numbers next to the DOT area on the side wall. The first 2 numbers is the week the tire was made and the last 2 numbers is the year it was made in. So if you saw something like "1698" the tire was made in the last week of April, 1998. Also you can see if this tire was made around the same time the car was put into production which is on the label that's on the wheel well.

You'd think by going to a dealership you shouldn't have to check these thing, but it can save you time and frustration down the road.
Old 12-25-11, 05:01 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Three tires...??

Two tires plus the spare? Or, they used the spare as part of the replacement equation.

Just thinking.