RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Long time member....first time Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-12, 01:02 PM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long time member....first time Owner

Hi everyone!

I just picked up an 07 RX350 and so far I enjoy everything about the vehicle. I originally signed up for this site on my quest to purchase and IS or SC300 a few years ago but now I feel like I officially belong

I drive quite a bit so mpgs are important to me. Anyone have any great tips? I am hoping to average around 20mpg.

Any tips, service tricks to making it run forever? I have 75k on the clock and it was dealer serviced and current.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-12, 01:39 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the RX Forum. My 2007 has been a joy to own with virtually no problems. I mostly put on highway miles and my mpg has averaged about 23mpg. I do burn premium fuel as per Lexus recommendation. I service the vehicle every 5K and almost always have it done at the local Toyota dealership. They are much less expensive compared to the Lexus dealership.

You should register at the Lexus Owner's website. The complete Lexus service history of your vehicle will be there as well as any warranty work or recalls.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 01-17-12, 03:15 PM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Welcome to the RX Forum. My 2007 has been a joy to own with virtually no problems. I mostly put on highway miles and my mpg has averaged about 23mpg. I do burn premium fuel as per Lexus recommendation. I service the vehicle every 5K and almost always have it done at the local Toyota dealership. They are much less expensive compared to the Lexus dealership.

You should register at the Lexus Owner's website. The complete Lexus service history of your vehicle will be there as well as any warranty work or recalls.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Great info. Thank you. Just signed up

I am on the dealership full tank but will be sure to run premium. How long did it take your avg. MPG indicator on the menu to become realistic. On my test drive I was around 5mpg and in one day of driving I am up to 13.8mpg. I know I should be averaging around 20-25
Old 01-18-12, 06:32 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Welcome again...

Post pics fo your 07.
Old 01-20-12, 02:03 PM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

All salty and in winter mode already...

Old 01-21-12, 05:12 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

A couple tips on getting better gas mileage.

Seek out stations that still sell gas without ethanol added. You can find these stations in almost every state if you look. If you live close to one, it is worth fueling there for an added couple MPG. Here is a Pure Gas finder: http://pure-gas.org/

Next, as already mentioned, burn the recommended octane fuel. In my case it is less costly per mile to burn premium than regular as I can drive further per gallon with premium. This is only readily measurable on my freeway/highway driving however, and not apparent in city stop and go driving. The RX is a great highway cruiser but uses more gas to get up to that speed than a lighter sedan. I'd also suspect you are in an area that has winter fuel formulations which will tap your MPG even more.

If you are driving mostly city stop and go your mileage is likely not to get much over the 15-16 MPG mark. Just go easy on the throttle and it will improve. The RX is a rather heavy SUV so it's just physics. "a body in motion tends to stay in motion and a body stopped takes a lot of energy to get it moving."

Congratulations on your RX. I find mine to be one of the most comfortable and enjoyable vehicles I've ever owned. I hope your is as well. And, welcome back to the forum. You will no doubt encounter questions and the members here are among the most friendly and willing to help you will find anywhere.

Don't forget to check out our supporting vendors. They offer great advice and discounts on products for maintaining your ride.
Old 01-21-12, 07:56 AM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

Thank you very much.

I ran through my tank from the dealer and I assume they put 87 octane in it. I switched to premium and the MPG average went up to almost 18 mpg which is great.

I had a Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee which was averaging 11 mpg so 18 makes me smile, but averaging close to 20 would really be fantastic. I do not do too much stop and go driving but I drive around town with a mix of highway and lets call them town streets rather than city streets at a rate of 40k per year so getting nearly double what I was with the Jeep would make the lexus pay for itself and as you mentioned, it is definitely a very comfortable vehicle to drive alot of miles in.

I had a Buick Enclave prior to the Jeep and while my experience was not good with mine, it was fairly comprable to the Lexus is ride quality. However the Lexus being a touch smaller handles much much better and the I would say is a bit "sportier" than the Buick.
Old 01-21-12, 07:59 AM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by 2TurboZ
Great info. Thank you. Just signed up

I am on the dealership full tank but will be sure to run premium. How long did it take your avg. MPG indicator on the menu to become realistic. On my test drive I was around 5mpg and in one day of driving I am up to 13.8mpg. I know I should be averaging around 20-25
I have found the Navigation System Info Menu on gas mileage as not being very accurate. It is best to check it manually by dividing miles driven by gallons of fuel at fill up.
Old 01-21-12, 07:59 AM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

And I do not know if it is ok to talk about but I feel like I got a pretty good deal.

75k 1 owner for $19,400
Old 01-21-12, 08:07 AM
Rainbird

For a 2007 with 75k, navigation and premium plus package, the price you paid is about right. It is difficult to tell from the photo but is the color Millennium Silver Metallic or the Savannah Metallic?
Old 01-21-12, 08:58 AM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

Its the Millennium Silver Metallic.
Old 01-21-12, 09:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Congrats 2TurboZ on your new RX. It looks like you've already tested out the 350 in the snow. Comes in handy on a day like today with a few inches of the white stuff on the ground. The RX handles great. Never been stuck once. Your mileage will definitely improve over time. Just follow Jim's tips. There are some great experts here that can help out with any questions or concerns you may have and make your RX experience the best. Enjoy!
Old 01-21-12, 09:54 AM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

Thank you...I was originally looking to get into an 06 Hybrid at the local lexus dealer but was a little leary of the Hybrid technology and the 06 interior/nav didnt impress me nearly as much at the 07. Then I started to look for an 07 Hybrid in my price range and closest I could find was 250 miles away. So I opted for the gas engine as I am atleast able to do most maintenance on it myself.

I really enjoy the RX so far....and I feel already that it would be hard to get another vehicle down the road. I think in 3 or 4 years I maybe be opting for a newer Hybrid RX to replace this one. Driving 40k a year....I tend not to have vehicles for longer than that.

Thank you all for the warm reception!