RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Three- year battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 06:47 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
If you think that is bad, you should see my oil use ... I have used Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil High Mileage and lately a mix of Pennzoil Ultra w/Pennzoil High Mileage.... for oil filters, I have used Fram Xtended Guard, PureOne, Bosch, etc .... sorry, got off topic a bit.

Back to the battery topic, I would prefer to get another Panasonic, they are amazing batteries. In my Acura, it was still going strong at the eight year mark! But, I will probably get an Interstate.

As for the MG-B, it was my wife's car in high school (in the 80s) that we have restored ... fun car to take on a nice Colorado summer day.
How do you judge oil filters????
Yes, I know how you feel driving the MGB: I enjoy the BMW 'vert. here in FL.
Oil-wise, I have used Mobil1 for the past 25 years, and the 0W-40 is one of the few rated LL-01 or 04 for use in the BMW. [I'lls top there, or this will become another 'oil' thread!].
Old 02-01-12, 07:13 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
How do you judge oil filters????
Yes, I know how you feel driving the MGB: I enjoy the BMW 'vert. here in FL.
Oil-wise, I have used Mobil1 for the past 25 years, and the 0W-40 is one of the few rated LL-01 or 04 for use in the BMW. [I'lls top there, or this will become another 'oil' thread!].
Oil analysis by Blackstone labs and looking at the insoluble count ... all of the filters I mentioned have performed well.

Okay, back to the battery topic, when any of you went to the dealer for replacements, were they able to get an OEM Panasonic battery?
Old 02-02-12, 01:17 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

try Toyota dealer: you could probably get it cheaper.....
Old 02-04-12, 11:47 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

My RX is three years' old, practically to the day, and the battery died. Lexus replaced it under warranty. Newbattery is marked 84 months, but they told me that the Lexus batteries only last three years, at which point you call the dealer and are offered a 50% (pro-rata) discount on a new one. I remember having done this on a previous model, and the battery discounted cost plus dealer's installation fees ended up costing more than just buying a new (non-Toyota) battery elsewhere and just putting it in.
My BMW's battery lasted nearly seven years (Bosch), but it is situated in the (rear) trunk where it is better protected from heat.
Is everyone having the same 'life' with their Lexus batteries? Have some brands proved to last longer than others?
I can tell you based on first hand experience as well as my neighbors who have similar vintage RX all have had "premature" battery failures. The Lexus dealer who replaced my OEM under warranty said they have seen a fairly high number of RX with failed batteries after only 2 to 4 years whereas other Lexus vehicles seem to be doing fine with their batteries that last much longer. They don't know what's causing this "early" failure. Do keep in mind the OEM battery carries a FULL 84-month replacement warranty (no proration) so don't go out and spend your own money on an aftermarket battery if it is still under warranty (unless you want to). The Lexus technician who installed the replacement OEM battery on our RX actually said the 84-warranty would start from the day of the installation, not from the vehicle purchase date. If your vehicle is out of warranty but battery still is, then you have 2 choices: 1) call for Lexus road service which you'll have to pay to tow your vehicle in or 2) remove the dead battery yourself and take it into the dealership so they can give you a new one free of charge.
Old 02-04-12, 12:50 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusPia
I can tell you based on first hand experience as well as my neighbors who have similar vintage RX all have had "premature" battery failures. The Lexus dealer who replaced my OEM under warranty said they have seen a fairly high number of RX with failed batteries after only 2 to 4 years whereas other Lexus vehicles seem to be doing fine with their batteries that last much longer. They don't know what's causing this "early" failure. Do keep in mind the OEM battery carries a FULL 84-month replacement warranty (no proration) so don't go out and spend your own money on an aftermarket battery if it is still under warranty (unless you want to). The Lexus technician who installed the replacement OEM battery on our RX actually said the 84-warranty would start from the day of the installation, not from the vehicle purchase date. If your vehicle is out of warranty but battery still is, then you have 2 choices: 1) call for Lexus road service which you'll have to pay to tow your vehicle in or 2) remove the dead battery yourself and take it into the dealership so they can give you a new one free of charge.
Actually, I believe that the 84-month warranty is not a full replacement warranty. I had this issue with the previous RX, where the three or four year period before failure ended up costing more than getting a battery at a place like Autozone or similar. At the latest battery change, for the RX350, the technician told me the 84-month warranty was for full replacement only if failure occurred during the first two years. Otherwise, the cost of the battery was pro-rated. Re: your comment about certain 'failed batteries': It may be a sign of the times (i.e. Toyota/Lexus moving to cheaper and less durable batteries), or random events (in which case, I hope they have improved the life of the batteries prior to my 'new' battery installed). I'll know in about three years!
Old 02-04-12, 12:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

There's only one way to find out. The three-year old battery on my 330 was replaced by the dealer at no cost to me.
Old 02-04-12, 01:11 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Arrow

Actually, I believe that the 84-month warranty is not a full replacement warranty. I had this issue with the previous RX, where the three or four year period before failure ended up costing more than getting a battery at a place like Autozone or similar. At the latest battery change, for the RX350, the technician told me the 84-month warranty was for full replacement only if failure occurred during the first two years. Otherwise, the cost of the battery was pro-rated. Re: your comment about certain 'failed batteries': It may be a sign of the times (i.e. Toyota/Lexus moving to cheaper and less durable batteries), or random events (in which case, I hope they have improved the life of the batteries prior to my 'new' battery installed). I'll know in about three years!
I believe your technician who told you about the full replacement only for the first 2 years was totally misinformed since I know at least 5 others who have had their Lexus OEM batteries replaced after 3, 4 to 6 years free of charge. Something is wrong with your Lexus service dept if it provides you with this type of wrong information on such a common issue. A 84-month full replacement warranty means exactly that--full replacement of the battery anytime during the 84-month period. However, a 24/84-month warranty means it comes with a full replacement the first 24 months and proration comes in after that. I know for a fact Lexus doesn't have a 24/84 warranty on the OEM batteries.
Old 02-04-12, 10:46 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

I believe your technician who told you about the full replacement only for the first 2 years was totally misinformed since I know at least 5 others who have had their Lexus OEM batteries replaced after 3, 4 to 6 years free of charge. Something is wrong with your Lexus service dept if it provides you with this type of wrong information on such a common issue. A 84-month full replacement warranty means exactly that--full replacement of the battery anytime during the 84-month period. However, a 24/84-month warranty means it comes with a full replacement the first 24 months and proration comes in after that. I know for a fact Lexus doesn't have a 24/84 warranty on the OEM batteries.
I hope you are right. However - if you Google it - you will find

Took the old battery to the local Lexus dealer to discuss only getting 37 months on an 84-month warranty battery. At 37 months, their warranty only provided a $50+ credit against the purchase of a new battery FROM LEXUS. That was impossible for me to do on an Easter Sunday morning. (Lexus Owners' Club).
Different dealers in different States may have different policies.
As I wrote - I do hope you are right and I fill find out in about three years....
Old 02-04-12, 10:57 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

An ideal replacement period would be 4 years. Any longer than that it's recommended to be changed. You dont have to go by that, but it's just playing it safe. Also, before replacing a battery, get it load tested first. A battery that can start, still be charged, doesn't necessarily mean its good until you load test it.
Old 02-05-12, 08:40 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I know for a fact Lexus doesn't have a 24/84 warranty on the OEM batteries.
I replaced the OEM Panasonic (preventative maintenance); however, it did require a jumpstart once when the wife was cleaning out the car and listening to music. After the jump, it started back up fine, but I got nervous and replaced it before winter. At that time, I called the local dealership and the service writer wasn't aware of a full 84 month replacement. He said it was pro-rated beyond 24 months and quoted me $125 for a replacement. Maybe they look at if you service your vehicles at the dealership before making their decision or because mine had not failed completely and only required a jump .... not sure.

Last edited by cdnewton; 02-05-12 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 05:29 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had to replace the original battery in my 2008 RX350. It died about a month ago and I put it on a charger overnight. Worked fine until yesterday when I went out to go to work and it was dead. That was enought for me so I replaced it with one from Auto Zone
Old 02-11-12, 05:19 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Arrow

Originally Posted by stevies30
Just had to replace the original battery in my 2008 RX350. It died about a month ago and I put it on a charger overnight. Worked fine until yesterday when I went out to go to work and it was dead. That was enought for me so I replaced it with one from Auto Zone
Just curious as to why you replaced the factory battery with one from Auto Zone when your OEM battery was still covered under the 84-month full warranty and you could've gotten a new one from your dealer free of charge?
Old 02-11-12, 05:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just curious as to why you replaced the factory battery with one from Auto Zone when your OEM battery was still covered under the 84-month full warranty and you could've gotten a new one from your dealer free of charge?
Just look at pauljcl's post above. He got a $50 credit towards the purchase of another from Lexus and that was it. Not enough for some of us and especially those of us who are trying to cut their ties to the dealerships. I would rather deal with a company like AutoZone and not one that varies from location to location and person to person like the Lexus dealerships.
Old 02-12-12, 04:38 AM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AGM vs. flooded

Your BMW battery was very likley an AGM battery while the RX battery is a flooded battery. AGM's cost much more, but last longer.My 3-series AGM battery cost $175 to replace from a non-BMW supplier...and I looked long/hard and installed it myself. From a BMW dealer, it would have been much worse. An excellent non-Lexus/Toyota flooded battery (84 month) will cost you under $100.

Pick your poison.

- nopcbs

My RX is three years' old, practically to the day, and the battery died. Lexus replaced it under warranty. Newbattery is marked 84 months, but they told me that the Lexus batteries only last three years, at which point you call the dealer and are offered a 50% (pro-rata) discount on a new one. I remember having done this on a previous model, and the battery discounted cost plus dealer's installation fees ended up costing more than just buying a new (non-Toyota) battery elsewhere and just putting it in.
My BMW's battery lasted nearly seven years (Bosch), but it is situated in the (rear) trunk where it is better protected from heat.
Is everyone having the same 'life' with their Lexus batteries? Have some brands proved to last longer than others?
Old 02-12-12, 06:17 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Just look at pauljcl's post above. He got a $50 credit towards the purchase of another from Lexus and that was it. Not enough for some of us and especially those of us who are trying to cut their ties to the dealerships. I would rather deal with a company like AutoZone and not one that varies from location to location and person to person like the Lexus dealerships.
Well stated. The deal offered was the same as mentioned above. I've done much more business with Auto Zone than I have Lexus dealerships and I own 3 Lexus' and a Mercedes. I deal with dealerships as little as possible and do all the work I can on my own cars. And I'm blessed with a mechanic who has his own shop and specializes in high end automobiles if I need work done that I can't do.

Quick Reply: Three- year battery