RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Check those headlight bulbs..

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 08:23 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I think it's a housing design flaw, they can generate so much heat, and it doesn't dissipate effectively. Alsoy dad's were "smoked" the inside was charred looking. I bought some of those 5$ "blue bulbs" from princess auto, 60w they're brighter than the originals and the inner some looks neat in all 'blue' when off.
Old 02-09-12, 08:53 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It has nothing to do with the housing design. Apperently it's caused by NOT running them at full power (when they are being used as DRL, not high beam) which allows some sort of film to deposit inside the glass. When they are subsequently used as high beams and run at tthe proper temperature, these deposits overheat and melt the glass.

I encourage you to read the explanation given in the link I posted which explains it much better. It's the second post in this thread - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...16#Post2529616
Old 02-09-12, 09:00 PM
uginjeon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
So your bulbs were all melted and black as well? How long have those bulbs been in?
I just got this car and noticed my DRL does not turn on. I thought the previous owner disabled it. So I checked the HB and only one was working. I decided to replace both and one that was out is completely black, the one that was still working was like the picture you posted melted and halfway black. Now the DRL works...
Old 02-10-12, 05:14 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

What an idiotic DRL design. You would think, after all these years of having them mandated, that the manufacturers / bulb manufacturers would know of this problem and come up with a solution, though I will admit I've seen some vehicles with other DRL options besides the high beams at reduced strength - like fogs or LEDs in the bumper (new Ford Edge, Audi etc.)
Old 02-10-12, 05:39 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led drl

Or Lexus IS.
Attached Thumbnails Check those headlight bulbs..-2012-is350c-006b.jpg  
Old 02-10-12, 05:51 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RCY, The people would like to know did you reward your 10 yr daughter for pointing this out. I know you gave her credit here when started the thread, but did she get an extra scoop of ice cream or something? lol. It's good that you followed up on it and like you mentioned that it's a big difference after you changed the bulb.

Also I always learn something from this forum, didn't know some Lowes have an auto section. The link posted earlier helped me out and there's one near me.
Old 02-10-12, 07:35 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

She wants to help me change the oil when it's due. I have a 12 year old boy as well, but he's only interested in skateboarding, snowboarding and girls. Oh well...lol.

By the way, checking your bulbs is as easy as just looking into the high beam section of the headlight housing from the front of the car. You can easily see the bulb from there - no need to actually remove it to inspect it.
Old 02-10-12, 09:02 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
She wants to help me change the oil when it's due. I have a 12 year old boy as well, but he's only interested in skateboarding, snowboarding and girls. Oh well...lol.

By the way, checking your bulbs is as easy as just looking into the high beam section of the headlight housing from the front of the car. You can easily see the bulb from there - no need to actually remove it to inspect it.

rcy, I checked mine last night. And unless they were Sylvania bulbs from the factory, they were replaced sometime before I bought it. They are not blistered, but do have a weird brown substance starting on the bottom of the bulb.
Old 02-10-12, 09:51 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Probably replaced...my factory bulbs weren't Sylvania.

That brown substance is probably the start of the deposit that is mentioned in the link I posted...Halide something or other. The bulb should be completely clear when new. If the explanation is sound, then when you run your high beams at full strength, this brown deposit is what overheats and melts the bulb.
Old 02-10-12, 10:08 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=rcy;7007895]Probably replaced...my factory bulbs weren't Sylvania.

That brown substance is probably the start of the deposit that is mentioned in the link I posted...Halide something or other. The bulb should be completely clear when new.If the explanation is sound, then when you run your high beams at full strength, this brown deposit is what overheats and melts the bulb.

Got ya. I think I `ll put some new Sylvania cool blue bulbs in tonight. I always liked those bulbs.
Old 02-10-12, 10:13 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Just don't spend too much on the replacement bulbs, because they'll just end up the same way with time (if they are halogen bulbs).
Old 02-10-12, 10:33 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rcy
Just don't spend too much on the replacement bulbs, because they'll just end up the same way with time (if they are halogen bulbs).

Well, your going to think I`m really ****. But I only use my high beams during winter time. Never use them over the summer time, Why? Because of the BUG`s!! I hate drawing all those bugs at night! I know,.........there is something wrong with me, but it all started when I lived in Louisiana. The insects down there were like small birds for crying out loud.

Last edited by lexus114; 02-10-12 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-10-12, 03:25 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus114
Well, your going to think I`m really ****
Not think, know....based on your obsessing over oil...lol.
Old 02-10-12, 03:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Had never seen that section in Lowe's and I do have a tendency to wander around a bit in the store looking. I see what you found at the above URL for the single pack, however, it does not show as being available local. Still, good to know for future info and it may be of use to others if they try looking for a pickup location in their zip code area.
Took a spin past my local Lowe's today while out on the road. Had the printout of the part number off the web page with me. They confirmed they do not carry in that store nor any in the area. Could not even order it.
Old 02-11-12, 01:32 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Had a chance to check the high beam bulbs in my 2004 RX330 this afternoon. Though they are a little black, they are actually in good condition, IMO. Do not seem to be distorted by heat in any way.
Attached Thumbnails Check those headlight bulbs..-img_20120211_163016.jpg  

Quick Reply: Check those headlight bulbs..