RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Check those headlight bulbs..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 12:44 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Check those headlight bulbs..

So my 10yr old daughter says to me (after driving to ski resort and home at night, once in my 2006 RX400h and once in Mom's 2010 Equinox), Mom's high beams are brighter than yours.

Now, I know that bulbs deteriorate over time, and these are probably the original (since March 2005) high beam bulbs, AND we have daytime running lights here in Canada, so the bulbs are on continuously, so I decide to swap in some new bulbs. I have HID low beams, but the high beams are 9005. I grabbed some Sylvania Xtravision (cheaper than Ultravision, Nighthawk Platinums etc etc.)

When I took the old ones out, I quickly discovered why the output was so low.

Any idea why both bulbs would have done this, or is just and age/heat thing (or maybe when they were installed, someone's oily fingerprints were left on the bulb- I know that's a big no no with these bulbs, so I used gloves putting my new ones in)

Don't think I need to point out which are new and which are old...lol

Old 02-08-12, 01:11 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow. good thing you changed them. Now you can rub it in to moms face that yours are brighter than hers again...
Old 02-08-12, 01:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
Now, I know that bulbs deteriorate over time, and these are probably the original (since March 2005) high beam bulbs, AND we have daytime running lights here in Canada, so the bulbs are on continuously, so I decide to swap in some new bulbs. I have HID low beams, but the high beams are 9005. I grabbed some Sylvania Xtravision (cheaper than Ultravision, Nighthawk Platinums etc etc.)
Daytime running lights are a standard feature for the RX here in the states as well.

Notice much difference with the new bulbs in place?
Old 02-08-12, 02:54 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Haven't tried them at night yet (will tonight and update).

Apparently, this is a known side effect of using the high beams at less than full power as the majority of DRL systems do (although I have seen newer cars using the fogs as DRL, or the marker lights if they're bright enough (like the 1996 to 1999 or so Dodge Caravans). I guess DRLs don't have to be white, just meet a certain level of luminence?

See this post for explanation of why it happens

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...16#Post2529616

and if you have DRLs that use the high beams at low power and the bulbs are somewhat old, I would suggest you have a good look at them.
Old 02-08-12, 03:03 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rcy
See this post for explanation of why it happens

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...16#Post2529616

and if you have DRLs that use the high beams at low power and the bulbs are somewhat old, I would suggest you have a good look at them.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 02-08-12, 04:44 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Wow...went out for a drive on some dark country roads north of where I live and the difference was dramatic. Much more light further down the road and to the sides as well. Whether this was because I switched to Xtravision (a step up from standard halogens) or because the old bulbs were so badly melted and blackened, or (more likely) a combination of the two it was very noticeably brighter.

I'm glad I only spent $29.99 on the Xtravisions and not $79.99 on the Sylvania zxe, or GE Nighthawk Platinum ($69.99) or anything else, since I'll probably be swapping new bulbs in annually, or maybe bi-annually.
Old 02-08-12, 05:37 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

While I have the stock halogen H11 bulbs for low beams, the high beams are 9005 -- same as yours. So, this is definitely good information to look into. Think pricing should come in somewhat lower than $30 here in the states. Only problem I have heard about the aftermarket bulbs is that they do not always have the longest of lifespans. So, you might want to keep the old bulbs around just in case. Though, this problem may be more user error (ie. touching the bulb) than anything else.
Old 02-08-12, 05:46 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

I threw the old ones out. The light output was so bad I wouldn't want them back in, plus, it was mentioned at another forum that the bulb when it's melted like that, can break quite easily.

I had several different bulbs in my hand at the parts store, and sylvania had a handy chart on the back of the package. The more expensive bulbs had a whiter light and more distance ahead and to the sides, but the lifespan was less than the Xtravisions. For the amount that I use the high beams at full power, I'm happy with the Xtravision.

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/produc...ce-series.aspx
Old 02-08-12, 09:00 PM
uginjeon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you in the States, did you know Lowe's have small auto section? They have the Sylvania Silverstar 9005 for $15ea. and the Xtravision for $5.50ea. I just replace them myself with the Xtravision and the old bulbs did look like that.
Old 02-08-12, 09:26 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uginjeon
For those of you in the States, did you know Lowe's have small auto section? They have the Sylvania Silverstar 9005 for $15ea. and the Xtravision for $5.50ea. I just replace them myself with the Xtravision and the old bulbs did look like that.
Something they are rolling out only in certain areas? What section was it located? Lighting?
Old 02-08-12, 09:48 PM
uginjeon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No not at the lighting. For Xtravision 9005 my local Autozone had them for $15ea. and by luck I searched google and found one at Lowe's for 5.50. I went to my local store and there were like three left at aisle 12 at the end with wiper blades. Very small section. The employees didn't even knew about them.

try here: http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFoQ8wIwAg

Last edited by uginjeon; 02-08-12 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 10:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

No not at the lighting. For Xtravision 9005 my local Autozone had them for $15ea. and by luck I searched google and found one at Lowe's for 5.50. I went to my local store and there were like three left at aisle 12 at the end with wiper blades. Very small section. The employees didn't even knew about them.

try here: http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFoQ8wIwAg
Had never seen that section in Lowe's and I do have a tendency to wander around a bit in the store looking. I see what you found at the above URL for the single pack, however, it does not show as being available local. Still, good to know for future info and it may be of use to others if they try looking for a pickup location in their zip code area.

Have seen a twin pack of of the Sylvania XtraVision 9005 on sale for $25 at Pep Boys.
Old 02-09-12, 07:11 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

So your bulbs were all melted and black as well? How long have those bulbs been in?

Seems like a common thing, as I suspected based on the explanation at bobistheoilguy as to why it occurs.

I encourage you all to check your bulbs.
Old 02-09-12, 10:43 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
So your bulbs were all melted and black as well? How long have those bulbs been in?

Seems like a common thing, as I suspected based on the explanation at bobistheoilguy as to why it occurs.

I encourage you all to check your bulbs.

Checking mine tonight!
Old 02-09-12, 02:50 PM
DavidTB
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the first things I noticed on the Lexus was how much more lighting there was to the sides over my Rodeo.

Quick Reply: Check those headlight bulbs..