RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Inflated Pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 06:29 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Inflated Pricing?

I love my Lexus vehicles and I am on my 5th one now. I intend to make that a 6th Lexus once we are ready to move on (read when the current RX has been "driven into the ground" - I'm going to be waiting a long while ). If anything I would be getting a later model RX.

I was reading a motoring thread the other day and someone posted an answer to an article that got me thinking. The motoring thread incidentally was related to the new RX model that will be released in the near future.

The poster had made a comment around the line, Why not just buy a Toyota Kluger Grande as it has pretty much everything the RX would. Now me and my curiosity decided to do some checks and frankly there is not that much difference from an options point of view between a newer RX and a new Toyota Kluger. In fact the only real differences would be (i) the badge (ii) the automatic retracting steering wheel (iii) the body and (iv) I believe a heated steering wheel. Other than that, most stuff that used to be "uniquely Lexus" (or higher end Luxury vehicles) are now found in your common car.

Of course technology as it gets cheaper means that all these things work their way down to the basic car and hence that's why you see things like integrated bluetooth or electric windows etc. etc.

I guess where this is going is what is to make the RX stand heads and tails above something like a Toyota Kluger Grande. Especially given that the RX and Toyota share running gear. Is the 10's of thousands of dollars real worth that much, or is it all for the badge (an example here in Australia is that the Kluger costs $30000 less than the top of the range RX)?

This is comparing a Lexus to it's direct competitor (and parent company) Toyota. This is not worrying about other Luxury high end vehicles like Mercs, BMW's etc. Is the idea of a Luxury vehicle being diminished by the fact that general cars now have most of the features that you would get on your Luxury vehicle? What makes a Lexus these days stand out from a Toyota (especially coming down to features)?
Old 02-15-12, 07:12 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

that is a tough one, however interior finish might be somewhat better....Also the sound deadening materials used for a quieter ride.
Old 02-15-12, 09:25 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

RX def have better soundproofing.....
Old 02-15-12, 09:49 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kickin8
RX def have better soundproofing.....
Yeah, and squeaking panels...
Old 02-15-12, 10:07 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Does not the Lexus come with a longer warranty?

Was always of the impression that part of what you were paying extra for was the dealer experience. Was to have been an "A" ticket ride, however, I give it a "C-" at best.
Old 02-15-12, 02:14 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Lexus: Better Fit & Finish, better material qualities, and more quality control. And, like mentioned more features.
Old 02-15-12, 03:26 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
Lexus: Better Fit & Finish, better material qualities, and more quality control. And, like mentioned more features.
I would agree in part, but Toyota specifically have improved their grade and have as good a fit & finish (from what I have seen) against the RX. The aforementioned features are a couple of little extras but is it enough to justify the 10's of 1000's of dollar difference though?
Old 02-15-12, 07:27 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
I would agree in part, but Toyota specifically have improved their grade and have as good a fit & finish (from what I have seen) against the RX. The aforementioned features are a couple of little extras but is it enough to justify the 10's of 1000's of dollar difference though?

At the end of the day you are the only that can decide if it is worth it or not.

Also the same can be said about nissan and infiniti or volkswagen and audi, or honda and acura

Last edited by MrBruin09; 02-15-12 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-16-12, 06:34 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by adam8065
At the end of the day you are the only that can decide if it is worth it or not.

Also the same can be said about nissan and infiniti or volkswagen and audi, or honda and acura
I agree with that, and I would always buy a Lexus over a Toyota. Just thought it and interesting conversation to have. Also I understand Nissan/Infiniti & Honda/Acura (Luxury arms of each) but how does the Volkswagen and Audi fit together? I understand that Volkwagen owns Audi, but under the badge they still have 2 distinct Luxury mainstream vehicles (like the Passat CC for VW and the A8 for Audi).
Old 02-16-12, 07:27 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
I agree with that, and I would always buy a Lexus over a Toyota. Just thought it and interesting conversation to have. Also I understand Nissan/Infiniti & Honda/Acura (Luxury arms of each) but how does the Volkswagen and Audi fit together? I understand that Volkwagen owns Audi, but under the badge they still have 2 distinct Luxury mainstream vehicles (like the Passat CC for VW and the A8 for Audi).
Well in the U.S. the most expensive VW CC is around $40,000 give or take while the Audi A8 starts off at $77,000. I believe the VW CC is based off the Audi A5 sportback.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/25/a...-a5-sportback/

Last edited by MrBruin09; 02-16-12 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-16-12, 07:46 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Historically speaking there is a difference between Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura when compared to VW/Audi.

With each of the Japanese brands the luxury divisions came many years after the primary brand's creation with the sole expressed idea of creating luxury vehicles. Those luxury divisions did not exist previously as separate entities.

With the German brands you had VW and Auto Union existing as separate companies for many years and only later coming under the same umbrella. Same could be said of Fiat/Alfa Romeo/Lancia/Ferrari/Chrysler, all the GM divisions as well as those at Ford.