RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

90K Timing Belt Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 12:42 PM
doverrx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 90K Timing Belt Service

I've read lots of suggestions about when to get the 90k service done (mostly after 90K), who could do it (Lexus, Toyota, or independent), and how much. Unfortunately in my area (Delaware), the Toyota dealers charge more than the Lexus dealer or won't do anything but oil changes. Also, there are no mechancs that work on Toyota/Lexus vehicles in my town. Has anyone taken parts to a Lexus dealer to service their vehicles to save money? Sewell has a timing belt and water pump kit for less than $300. I will be contacting the dealer to see if I bring the parts will they use them. By the way, there are two TSBs, 0050-05 and 002-04, i'll be asking about. Also, I will have them ckeck my wheel bearings because they are making that humming noise I've read about in a couple of posts. So it may not be a total waste.
Old 02-19-12, 01:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

As this is a one time service event, have you considered going outside your area and make a travel day event out of it? What about Newark ToyotaWorld? Would not hurt to give them a call to see what they can do for you if you have not called already.

In regards to the wheel bearings, do you have AWD? Just curious. Seems they are the ones having this issue.
Old 02-19-12, 01:12 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be very surprised if a Lexus dealership would use parts that you brought into their shop. I would continue to look for an independent shop to do this work. Surely there is a shop in other Delaware towns that can do a timing belt.
Old 02-19-12, 02:26 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I would be very surprised if a Lexus dealership would use parts that you brought into their shop. I would continue to look for an independent shop to do this work. Surely there is a shop in other Delaware towns that can do a timing belt.
Most dealerships won't warrantee their work if you bring in your own components. More often than not, the parts the guest brought are wrong as well. They will likely refuse to avoid headaches on their end.

While the 3.3 isn't the hardest belt in the world, it is an interference engine and having a cam spin while attempting to install the belt can (rarely) result in bent valves. If you've got an open recall for the crank pulley and it does require replacement (not all do), most dealerships will give you an hour's labor discount for the overlap with the pulley replacement. Most, not all.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-12, 03:20 PM
doverrx330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
As this is a one time service event, have you considered going outside your area and make a travel day event out of it? What about Newark ToyotaWorld? Would not hurt to give them a call to see what they can do for you if you have not called already.

In regards to the wheel bearings, do you have AWD? Just curious. Seems they are the ones having this issue.
Yes AWD. It sounds like it is comming from the front. Has there been an issue to the point of a recall. I have the extended Platinum Warranty which should cover the wheel bearings if they need to be replaced.
Old 02-19-12, 03:25 PM
doverrx330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Delaware has a lot of local garages but haven't dealt with them. Haven't found one in the bigger towns that works on Toyota/Lexus. Know some shops that work on Fords, Chevys, Dodges, etc but not Toyota/Lexus. Seen a video on replacing the water pump and want someone with experience on theses engines becuase I plan to drive it until the engine dies. Don't want someone working on it and it dies prematurely because they have more ego than talent.
Old 02-19-12, 04:20 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by doverrx330
Delaware has a lot of local garages but haven't dealt with them. Haven't found one in the bigger towns that works on Toyota/Lexus. Know some shops that work on Fords, Chevys, Dodges, etc but not Toyota/Lexus. Seen a video on replacing the water pump and want someone with experience on theses engines becuase I plan to drive it until the engine dies. Don't want someone working on it and it dies prematurely because they have more ego than talent.
Considering that you would like to drive this car for a long time, I would recommend the dealer for the timing belt if there are no comparable shops in your area. If you ask around, you will probably save no more than $150 on labor for a well-trained and well-tooled mechanic. My estimate is a $50/hr difference for three hours.

In the part of Canada where I live, none of the Toyota dealers will touch a lexus. The labor rate at my dealer is about $130/hr and reputable independent shops are about $90-95/hr.

As for parts, a garage may save you maybe tops $100 if part is from OEM. If you want a Lexus part, the garage will buy it from the local dealer so no savings for you there.

Then there's the warranty, if dealer does it all, part and labor is warranted for one year and 90 days, respectively, and usually good for US and Canada (in case you go for a long drive north of 49th).

Save on brakes, oil changes, etc. by going to Costco or others, but for the timing belt, I'd say go to the dealer.

Lastly, if you go where you bought your car, you normally get a Lexus loaner and free interior and exterior cleaning. That's at least worth $80. Mind you, they won't lend you the IS-F, SC, or LS but everything else should be available.
Old 02-19-12, 04:30 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Yes AWD. It sounds like it is comming from the front. Has there been an issue to the point of a recall. I have the extended Platinum Warranty which should cover the wheel bearings if they need to be replaced.
No recall, just something I have seen as a pattern here at Club Lexus. If you are complaining about wheel bearings you seem to almost always have AWD. Glad you have an extended warranty to cover the work. Wonder if they would do both sides even though only one is making noise?
Old 02-19-12, 05:09 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

No recall, just something I have seen as a pattern here at Club Lexus. If you are complaining about wheel bearings you seem to almost always have AWD. Glad you have an extended warranty to cover the work. Wonder if they would do both sides even though only one is making noise?
Just an aside for clarity: the recall has nothing to do with the wheel bearing. The pulley that does pertain to the recall is on the front right of the car, and makes noise when it fails (extremely uncommon)

Couldn't hurt to have the dealer investigate it for you and give you a quote. If it is a bearing, any aftermarket could take care of it for less than the dealer.
Old 02-19-12, 05:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RandomTech
Just an aside for clarity: the recall has nothing to do with the wheel bearing. The pulley that does pertain to the recall is on the front right of the car, and makes noise when it fails (extremely uncommon)

Couldn't hurt to have the dealer investigate it for you and give you a quote. If it is a bearing, any aftermarket could take care of it for less than the dealer.
Sorry you were confused.

Talk of the pulley issue was not even mentioned. The OP mentioned about a possible problem with wheel bearings in the last part of the original message and part of the conversation that followed dealt with that item.

The OP has also confirmed that they have the extended Platinum Warranty and are hoping that it will cover any wheel bearing expense when they do take their RX to the Lexus dealer for that and the two TSB's they wanted to be looked into.

The discussion thread seemed clear to even this old man.
Old 02-20-12, 06:04 AM
RandomTech
Rookie

I'm saying I've seen a failing pulley mistaken for a front right wheel bearing.
Old 02-20-12, 09:15 AM
doverrx330
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I called them and they quoted $620. I asked how much would it be to replace the water pump, if needed, and they quoted $250. Total of $870 is still LESS THAN HALF the Lexus dealer would charge. Coureous, did you live in Delaware or know someone in DElaware that used Newark ToyotaWorld?

Again Thanks
Old 02-20-12, 11:53 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks. I called them and they quoted $620. I asked how much would it be to replace the water pump, if needed, and they quoted $250. Total of $870 is still LESS THAN HALF the Lexus dealer would charge. Coureous, did you live in Delaware or know someone in DElaware that used Newark ToyotaWorld?

Again Thanks
Be sure to get a new accessories belt if not already included in the price. Check hoses, too.

Grew up in PA. Almost went to UoD to study engineering before deciding to stay in-state. No connections with Newark ToyotaWorld. I was in FL before they even opened. Thought it odd you could not find a Toyota dealer in your area who would touch your Lexus for the timing belt. I do have a number of contacts in the auto and racing industries, so I placed a quick call. Their name came up. YMMV. Not sure if they run a shuttle or anything like that to the local mall. I always enjoy walking around instead of sitting and waiting anything more than half an hour. My local Toyota runs a shuttle to a nearby country club or local mall complex.
Old 02-21-12, 09:34 AM
gusar
Driver

You have to trust the guy. There are always small details which can be missed.
Old 02-22-12, 10:32 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the going cost? 870+ for tb/wp? More then I would have thought.

Quick Reply: 90K Timing Belt Service