RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

don't laugh: old honda to old RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 07:10 PM
Maggie101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't laugh: old honda to old RX

looked at a 2009 RX 350 in Oakland, CA dealer with 63K mi and all records. oil changed every 5k. Warranty up to 70k. $ 25.8k: FWD, no navigation\backup camera. I have researched myself into delerium. I went out and drove one today. very nice... friends laugh anything will feel better than a 94 honda accord. They are not (initially) willing to negotiate at all. Trade in is 1,100. Is a 2009 with 60k too much? It has been on the lot 111 days.... they said they are going to move it out. they only keep cars 120 days. I can't try shoes on alone without asking an opinion.... so what do you think? M
Old 02-20-12, 07:37 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I think you should be able to get it cheaper....Check Cars.com, etc. I bought my RX400h last March for 25k out the door with 88k miles. It has every option.....(2008)
Old 02-20-12, 07:41 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

See these:
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/used/le...Id=2102&rn=150
Old 02-20-12, 09:15 PM
Maggie101
Driver School Candidate

Thank you ! I am looking. What I did like about it was one owner and oil changed consistently. 20k mi a year would have to be highway miles...is that a good thing or bad? My goal, based on working backwards keep it under $275-ish a month. with 12k down and a credit union loan at 2.99%. So i would have to have them come down 800 and give me 1200 for the trade in. I am waiting for their mechanic\point check report.
Old 02-21-12, 06:31 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

I would look for one with navigation and backup camera, it is truely a very nice upgrade and you should be able to find one in that price range. For FWD and none of those features I think the price is too high....
Old 02-21-12, 07:08 AM
Cynwatsn
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased a 2007 RX350 with 66K for $21K. I did the same as you want to do, I paid half and financed the rest to keep the payment down. It does not have a navigation system and I do not miss it. I do wish I had a back up camera. I had rear sensors in my previous vehicle. I am in the process of upgrading my stereo system by adding a Vias Thech IPod/IPhone integration unit. I will be happy with that. Over all I all very satisfied with the car. I don't regret spending that amount of money since I know I will keep this one for long time.

For what I have read so far, there are some advantages asociated with having a navigation unit in the vehicle not necessarily associated with the navigation itself. Such as the anti-theft detection by GPS and emergency assistance which both requires subscription. Also, you can add a video with a Vias unit.

66k may seem as a lot miles for a car but cars are running longer than they used to if they are well taking cared off. I never really cared for a car other than just a mean to get to place. Now that I have "my" Lexus (so I remind my husband with humor) see cars differently.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 02-21-12, 10:34 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it a CPO car? I would strongly recommed a CPO if you plan to get a used one....

You could probably sell your Honda for more on Craigslist.....
Old 02-21-12, 01:07 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Maggie101
Thank you ! I am looking. What I did like about it was one owner and oil changed consistently. 20k mi a year would have to be highway miles...is that a good thing or bad? My goal, based on working backwards keep it under $275-ish a month. with 12k down and a credit union loan at 2.99%. So i would have to have them come down 800 and give me 1200 for the trade in. I am waiting for their mechanic\point check report.

That should be very do-able for them. If not, move on.
Old 02-21-12, 06:55 PM
Maggie101
Driver School Candidate

You are all wonderful thanks so much! It is not a CPO they will only cover it to 70k. I will continue to look online tonight and give them a call see what they are up to in term's of dealing. He did say the rearview camera you can have added on for couple hundred? I totally agree if they come down 800 and give me 1200 for 94 accord that would put it at 23.8K before taxes and exactly where i want to be... i have read that the BIG checkup is at 60K so i will see what they have performed. thanks again! M
Old 02-22-12, 04:31 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Maggie101
He did say the rearview camera you can have added on for couple hundred?
I would be extremely cautious here. You can buy a camera of ebay with a screen for cheaper than that. What he would be doing is some aftermarket stuff and wouldn't be genuine, just to make sure you aware of that. The RX's with Nav have a lot of stuff integrated with the screen including the backup camera. Personally from what others are saying here, I would keep looking and find one for a better price and with better options.
Old 02-22-12, 07:26 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Actually the 60k is nothing more than fluids and oil change...The RX350 does not have a timing belt so the biggest service would be at 125k miles for the spark plugs....
Old 02-22-12, 02:16 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I was in the same boat about 8 months ago

I was in the same boat about 8 months ago.

I had a 2000 Honda Accord and the tranny went bad twice and it only had 108,000 miles on it.

Traded it in and the dealer gave me peanuts for it (Blue book said it was worth $3400 and dealer only gave me $1500). He nip pick everything about the car. I thought about the craigslist thing but I knew there were things wrong with the car that I didn't want to repair. Once the dealer took it, I try not to look back at it. I said it was his problem now.

Anyway, for a 2009 FWD without Nav/Backup camera at this point in time I think you can do a little better. The car is costing the dealership money every day it stays on the lot. Like others have mentioned, look around some more. If the dealer sense that you're really interested in this car it leaves a little less incentive to negotiate with you.

Basic Warranty is is 48 months or 50,000 miles from IN SERVICE DATE. Just because it's a 2009 the in service date was probably sometime in 2008. So you should always try to find out the IN SERVICE DATE. at 66k you're over the basic warranty. My vehicle is still under 50k but the in service date was 11/2008 so my basic warranty would be up in November 2012.

From what I understand and was told by a dealership, if it was CPO, they would cover it from the date you purchased it for 3 years. The manufacture warranty is from in Service Date.

Drive train is 72 months or 70,000 miles, again from IN SERVICE DATE. This is probably the warranty the dealer is talking about. Always ask so that you're clear and have it in writing which warranty they are referring to.

Emissions is 96 months or 80k.

I purchase mine with AWD, Nav and backup camera, heated seats, 18 inch rims at the time it had 27,449 miles on it for $29k and two months after I purchased it, I saw a similar one with the color I really wanted had a little more millage for $500 cheaper. Oh well.

Gas and your insurance, you will see a big change. I live in an over populated city, so my city miles suck, but the highway driving is just as good if not better than my 2000 Accord. Although 0 to 60 is a little over 7 second, it's not meant for racing but it does have the power you need. Whether its myself or 5 people in the car, I don't feel the drain as I did with the Accord when having a heavy load. This SUV drives more like a car, but I had to get use to parking, which was never my forte anyway. Get accustomed to the looks now that you're driving a Lexus and how well other folks treat your car. Although very subtle it would be a big difference from an Accord.

If you decide to get one without navigation / backup camera, there's a gentleman in here by the name of Carver, he had his RX 330 customize with one. If you look at his signature, it will have a link with pictures of what he had done.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Hope I wasn't too long winded.
Old 02-22-12, 03:25 PM
Maggie101
Driver School Candidate

i do think i am going to move on. the input on the rear camera\integration,, what waranty covers, as well as In Service date are all news to me. Thank you! M. ( if i put the money under my pillow maybe the Lexus RX350 genie will leave it on my driveway and poof.. the 94 accord will be gone? if THAT has worked for anyone you know where to find me)
Old 02-22-12, 04:04 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Go to the Lexus dealership...they should have a bunch of 09 CPOs.....
Old 02-23-12, 06:51 PM
DavidTB
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought a 2008 awd with only 22000 miles on it for $28,000 with a CPO warranty. No nav or back up.

Quick Reply: don't laugh: old honda to old RX