RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus has turned into a big disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 12:30 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

They do have some stupid issues once in a while, but they are over all a great vehicle.
Old 03-26-12, 12:32 PM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus114
They do have some stupid issues once in a while, but they are over all a great vehicle.
Exactly! Lexus reliability is great except some very stupid failures.
Old 03-26-12, 06:07 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
I think you summed it up perfectly! Great vehicle but stupid crap that adds up.... just has become a disappointment for me after a while.
Old 03-27-12, 01:27 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus

I am on my second Lexus RX in the past 10 years. And I would never buy any another type of vehicle again.

Ive had a few problems with my two RXs. But nothing like the Fords, Chevys and Chryslers I have owned in the past.

You bought a used 9 year old car. Did you expect it to run trouble free forever?
Old 04-09-12, 05:32 AM
Nostics_RX
Driver School Candidate

First, your dealer just sucks. Well, I own a 2004 RX Bamboo with the same side mirror paint issues. I bought the car used at 40k miles CPO at a very reputable Lexus dealer in Dallas. Very low maintenance. I just changed the timing belt @ 150k miles, way late in my opinion. This car has been a solid performer, I probably have no more than half of the common complaints of RX owners. I had a couple of recalls but not to the extent that it bothered me. I don't obsessed about this car, a little squeeks and pop in the interior is expected for a 9yo car (manufactured in 03). Lexus are a very good brand, you just happen to pick a bad apple.

We can only guess on how the original owner operated/maintained your RX. Luxury brands are not immune to abuse. You did not pay 44k dollars for your RX so don't expect a 44k dollars luxury SUV. You still have to do your due diligence when buying used car, be it Lexus or Benz. My take is you've gotten a bad used RX and a horrible Lexus dealer. I'd hate to be in your position.

I've been so happy with my Lexus experience that I just bought a used 2005 GX470 fully loaded from the same dealer. I needed a 7 seater this time for weekend trips.
Old 04-09-12, 06:34 AM
JuliusvN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
//...

Again we would have recommended a few things if you were purchasing a used RX330 with out of warranty condition. But hopefully you keep the car and start enjoying it. We have a vast amount of DIY’s and a ton of what to watch out for. Members have saved money using the tips found here and have also encouraged them to send in their findings, give and take//...

It's a shame that the OP hit upon a problematic vehicle.

While there have been some interesting opinions expressed in the thread I think the excerpt I've culled from Mandyfig's post says it all really.

A bit of groundwork - and a trawl through the Forum - may well have better prepared Gavinw35 for RX ownership, although not necessarily for the problematic dealer.

&Gavinw35 - I do hope you get things sorted out soon and continue to enjoy your RX for a long time to come.
Old 04-16-12, 08:32 AM
Gavinw35
Rookie

The vehicle was purchased with all of the service records so it appears to have been maintained.. It is a great car to drive I had parked it and have been driving our other car and drove the Lexus this weekend to run some errands for the first time in a while. The car does have a great ride and is overall pleasing to drive... Just still all I see when I am approaching the car is those peeling mirrors! Frustrating at the least.. I will most likely keep the car to the 100,000-105,000 mile mark and if I can still get a decent price for it. If not ill keep it as an extra set of wheels around the house. Just wish the ownership experience was a little bit easier and it would be a huge help if I didnt have to wonder how badly im going to get screwed over every time I have to go to the dealer...
Old 04-16-12, 06:54 PM
gt1209
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel bad for you. My wife's 09 RX 350 had the same condensation problem and the right headlamp was just replaced under warranty.

However, I feel like you should either fix it and enjoy it or fix it and dump it.

You might as well hire a professional auto shop to repair the paint peeling and enjoy the vehicle. If you feel like the vehicle has nothing to offer to you, then again, you might as well repair to sell it at a higher price. I think you could recoup 50% of the repair cost and sell it 2X faster than selling it as is.

I'm sure some people would gladly take it off your hands as RX should have relatively high resale value, if all your problems are fixed. I drive a 95 Avalon without paint peeling problem so I'm sure you could find a less expensive extra set of wheels.
Old 04-17-12, 12:44 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

It simply is not the best experience considering how we take care of our car. If I didnt put in the time to have it serviced by the dealer or have it washed and waxed then fine my fault. However, this is not the case. I believe we are going to be keeping it as an extra car and just not go through the hassle of selling it. Maybe ill list it on craigslist and whatever happens happens (the car is almost paid off mines well keep it). Im currently looking into replacing it with the new Jaguar XF. Time will tell.
Old 04-18-12, 03:21 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default We have an 04 and nary a problem

We got it used at a Lexus dealer. It was practicaly certified. Love it.

All in all, Lexus is still the most reliable lux brand. Sorry about the troubles you've had
Old 04-20-12, 06:34 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Mirror refinish alternative

Originally Posted by Gavinw35
The vehicle was purchased with all of the service records so it appears to have been maintained.. It is a great car to drive I had parked it and have been driving our other car and drove the Lexus this weekend to run some errands for the first time in a while. The car does have a great ride and is overall pleasing to drive... Just still all I see when I am approaching the car is those peeling mirrors! Frustrating at the least.. I will most likely keep the car to the 100,000-105,000 mile mark and if I can still get a decent price for it. If not ill keep it as an extra set of wheels around the house. Just wish the ownership experience was a little bit easier and it would be a huge help if I didnt have to wonder how badly im going to get screwed over every time I have to go to the dealer...
When we bought our 09 PB new, I installed a couple of those chrome mirror covers. Got them from Sewel; they are Toyota parts from Japan. Was concerend about those big mirrors getting pock marked with stone chips and the chip guard didn't stick. These work great; no chipping and they set off the car. You may check into those as an alternative to repainting; easy peel and stick installation and fit fine.