RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

About to Buy an 07 350 - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-12, 11:27 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The white flakes will be in the air vents. They come from the a/c. They do not affect output. The a/c part may have been changed out already at the 9/6/06 service "compressor".

Check the front bumper for paint peeling off. Mine has that problem.

Make sure all the trim around the roof rack is there. When I got mine, the trim was barely holding on. It just pushes back down into the crease.

Make sure the rear cargo door motor operates properly. It should open and close smoothly and should open all the way to the top.

Take off the left cover under the hood and make sure the power steering fluid is at the appropriate full mark. If it is not, it could be an indication of the steering rack leak.

The brake fluid was supposed to have been changed at 50,000 miles.

The under hood picture looks dirty. Have them clean it.

Make sure your HID lights look evenly bright. Mine are starting to dim. Might be able to get them to put new bulbs in for you. Make sure the headlight washers work.

Make sure the center console slides properly.

Make sure the rear cargo shade latches don't rattle. They can put felt on them to stop it.

Make sure the gas tank shield has the foam on it, otherwise it will make noise.

Good luck.
Old 04-20-12, 02:26 PM
afakhori
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
The white flakes will be in the air vents. They come from the a/c. They do not affect output. The a/c part may have been changed out already at the 9/6/06 service "compressor".

Check the front bumper for paint peeling off. Mine has that problem.

Make sure all the trim around the roof rack is there. When I got mine, the trim was barely holding on. It just pushes back down into the crease.

Make sure the rear cargo door motor operates properly. It should open and close smoothly and should open all the way to the top.

Take off the left cover under the hood and make sure the power steering fluid is at the appropriate full mark. If it is not, it could be an indication of the steering rack leak.

The brake fluid was supposed to have been changed at 50,000 miles.

The under hood picture looks dirty. Have them clean it.

Make sure your HID lights look evenly bright. Mine are starting to dim. Might be able to get them to put new bulbs in for you. Make sure the headlight washers work.

Make sure the center console slides properly.

Make sure the rear cargo shade latches don't rattle. They can put felt on them to stop it.

Make sure the gas tank shield has the foam on it, otherwise it will make noise.

Good luck.
Wow! Thats a great list! Thanks so much for your input! A lot of that are little things I wouldnt have thought of, and seem to be specific to the RX. I called the dealerships that did the services before but they wouldnt give me any additional information on the "compressor" service (or any other for that matter) because technically, I'm not the owner yet. Silly.
Old 04-23-12, 09:35 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Wonder if the OP bought it?
Old 04-23-12, 10:51 AM
afakhori
Driver School Candidate

Yes the OP did! :-) The wife is happy with the new ride - except she's now trying to figure out a way to transfer her contacts from her iphone to the nav. I think because it's a 5th gen Nav I'm going to need to figure out a roundabout way to do it. Thanks again for all the help!
Old 04-23-12, 12:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by afakhori
Yes the OP did! :-) The wife is happy with the new ride - except she's now trying to figure out a way to transfer her contacts from her iphone to the nav. I think because it's a 5th gen Nav I'm going to need to figure out a roundabout way to do it. Thanks again for all the help!
One at a time, one at a time... I believe for that model. Regardless of the phone. Is discussed in the Owner's Manual. If you did not get one with your car you can order one for free from Lexus. It is also searchable at:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do

Be sure to have your VIN and register your vehicle with them.
Old 04-24-12, 06:31 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

I was able to transfer my phonebook using a droid phone by using a program called bluetooth file transfer. I downloaded all my contacts into a csv file and uploaded the phonebook to the Lexus.

If you search here you might be able to find someone who did a mass transfer using their Iphone.
Old 04-24-12, 08:19 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting how different units handle the same issue, my Kenwood doesn't store the phone book, it automatically loads it every time I get in the car.
Old 04-24-12, 10:47 AM
afakhori
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! I did some research and it looks like im gonna have to transfer her contacts to my android and upload it from there - the Iphone 4s protocol doesn't support the way the 5th gen nav imports phone numbers.

I checked over the car when I got to the dealer, and left him astonished. I guess he had never seen anyone crawl under a car with a flashlight before! I went over every inch of it and aside from a few knicks and scuffs it was in damn good condition - the only thing I found was the previous owner (or their kid) decided to shove about $6 worth of change in the tape deck. The dealer called in a tech, 2hrs later I was good to go.

The Nav disc that came with it is 5.1, Do you guys think it's worth the money to upgrade to 11.1?
Old 04-24-12, 11:04 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The Nav disc that came with it is 5.1, Do you guys think it's worth the money to upgrade to 11.1?
Get it when you need it. In the meantime you can just look out for a good sale. Perhaps when 12.1 comes out you can get the older edition. For now, enjoy your RX.
Old 05-08-12, 05:28 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Been looking around for a few weeks. Mostly at RX330's. Tell me why I shouldn't be running, not walking, to bank right now for this one. 2007 RX350. Has AWD, NAV, silver with black interior(my favorite combo) and 39,000 miles. Older guy bought it 2 years ago, certified used from local Lexus dealer. He then spent most of last summer in the hospital and passed away. His brother, a friend of friend, inherited it. The battery was dead so he had it towed back to the dealer. They installed a new battery, new brakes, and new set of Michelin tires. The service history is perfect. The brother was going to keep it but has decided his Chevy pick-up is a more practical vehicle for him. He is asking 20,000 for it. He said he knows he could get more, but to him it's just a pile of cash taking up space in the garage and he wants it gone. I am inclined to help him out. I printed off Adam's checklist to take with me on Saturday when we check it out. He works second shift and I work 5AM-5PM so that's the soonest our schedules meet up. Is there any good reason I shouldn't be all over this?
Old 05-08-12, 07:40 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ghuns
Been looking around for a few weeks. Mostly at RX330's. Tell me why I shouldn't be running, not walking, to bank right now for this one.
The price is right for that vehicle. If everything checks out, I say buy it.
Old 05-08-12, 11:59 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

keep in mind: CPO warranty are not transferable.....
Old 05-14-12, 12:44 PM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
keep in mind: CPO warranty are not transferable.....
Yea, that was the first thing I checked on, bummer.

It all checks out. Guy bought it CPO at 22k, put 16k on it and it has sat in the garage for close to a year. I think the only thing it is lacking is the Mark Levinson system and the rear DVD. It's even got XM radio. Off to the bank now and pickin her up tomorrow afternoon.
Been reading up on the NAVI system overrides, thinking that will be the first order of business.
Old 05-14-12, 02:21 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! Let's see some pics!
Old 05-15-12, 07:02 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

I bought my 2007 RX new and it has 68K on it. I have never had a single problem with it. I replaced the tires and battery and that's it. The car has been dealer maintained and all scheduled service has been done according to the manual. I couldn't be happier with it but the Claret 2013 RX I looked at while mine was being serviced this morning was tempting.

I think $23K is a little too much to pay, since they only offered me $18K trade-in for mine, in mint condition. Mine has all the bells and whistles, including satellite radio, nav, leather, etc. I also added a $500 trailer hitch to tow a boat but I have never towed anything with it. I recommend going to JD Power web site and enter the car's specs and see what it would be worth if you owned it and were trading it in. Then, you can see how much profit the seller wants to make. That will strengthen your negotiating position.

Consumer Reports doesn't recommend the extended warranties. I would get a CarFax to see what the maintenance history is. If it has a good history, decline the extended warranty. If it doesn't have a good history, then look for another car.

Quick Reply: About to Buy an 07 350 - Thoughts?