RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

About to Buy an 07 350 - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 09:03 PM
afakhori
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to Buy an 07 350 - Thoughts?

Hi all!

Depending on if the wife buys this RX I may be the new guy around here. I've been lurking for a bit but now it's down to signing some papers. We found this 07 RX350 FWD nav and upgraded rims at lexus of santefe
http://www.lexusofsantafe.com/Vehicl...-NM/1711955253

it's got just under 70k, new tires, 50% brake pads and seems good all around. There were a few rock chips on the hood, so they said they'd repaint it for us and tint the windows. all said and done we're getting it for 23k OTD. Decent deal?

As those who are a lot more familiar with these (I drive V8 4runner :-) ) is there anything else I should be looking at? any concerns or questions I should bring up to the dealer? I looked up the vin and it has a decent service history, and it had its 70k service done last month by the dealer. Any worries or issues with this engine? Transmission concerns? Anything?

Thanks for your input. If all is Kosher, I'm going to fly down there on saturday, give it a good look-over and drive it home to CO.
Old 04-19-12, 06:53 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

How long is the period the dealer will be responsible if there are any issues after purchase?
Old 04-19-12, 09:25 AM
afakhori
Driver School Candidate

I don't think they are. I think there is a 5 day/1000 courtesy guarantee, but I'll be immediately driving it about 700 miles. I can buy an extended warranty through my bank

https://www.penfed.org/route-66-extended-warranty/

https://www.penfed.org/WorkArea/Down...?id=2147484930 <- Brochure.

It's about $1900 for 3 years or 36000 miles. I'm usually pretty wary of extended warranties, but I haven't dealt with lexus repairs yet.
Old 04-19-12, 09:59 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by afakhori

As those who are a lot more familiar with these (I drive V8 4runner :-) ) is there anything else I should be looking at? any concerns or questions I should bring up to the dealer? I looked up the vin and it has a decent service history, and it had its 70k service done last month by the dealer. Any worries or issues with this engine? Transmission concerns? Anything?

Thanks for your input. If all is Kosher, I'm going to fly down there on saturday, give it a good look-over and drive it home to CO.
Have them run it through the car wash and look to see if there is any water in the headlights. Quick and easy thing to test for and they should not mind doing it.
Old 04-19-12, 10:06 AM
afakhori
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Have them run it through the car wash and look to see if there is any water in the headlights. Quick and easy thing to test for and they should not mind doing it.
Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure they do that! I'm just looking for fogging/leakage, right?
Old 04-19-12, 10:38 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure they do that! I'm just looking for fogging/leakage, right?
Any problem will be obvious -- both fogging and/or moisture. Usually does not happen with a hand wash or a pressure washer, but a touch-less car wash system will more than likely turn up any problems.
Old 04-19-12, 11:51 AM
afakhori
Driver School Candidate

Any problem will be obvious -- both fogging and/or moisture. Usually does not happen with a hand wash or a pressure washer, but a touch-less car wash system will more than likely turn up any problems.
Good to know!

I just got the paperwork from fedex now, and as I look over it - i have a 15 day/500 mile warranty. Driving it home to CO. Driving it home will be 422 miles, so After 3 days I'll be SOL unless I buy a warranty.
Old 04-19-12, 11:58 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Good to know!

I just got the paperwork from fedex now, and as I look over it - i have a 15 day/500 mile warranty. Driving it home to CO. Driving it home will be 422 miles, so After 3 days I'll be SOL unless I buy a warranty.
If you are interested in an extended warranty, you might try talking to the following individual who has provided quotes and contacts to others here at Club Lexus. Does not matter where you purchase it as long as it is a "Lexus" warranty you should be good. Those third party ones are hit-or-miss.

Not sure if he can help you with the vehicle being out of warranty though.

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Old 04-19-12, 12:04 PM
afakhori
Driver School Candidate

If you are interested in an extended warranty, you might try talking to the following individual who has provided quotes and contacts to others here at Club Lexus. Does not matter where you purchase it as long as it is a "Lexus" warranty you should be good. Those third party ones are hit-or-miss.

Not sure if he can help you with the vehicle being out of warranty though.

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Thanks! I actually emailed him this morning, HAHA! Hopefully he comes through
Old 04-19-12, 12:18 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can only buy a Lexus extended warranty if the vehicle is still under the Lexus factory warranty. At 70k miles this vehicle does not qualify. Since this vehicle is being purchased from a Lexus dealer wouldn't it be a CPO vehicle and covered to 100k? If not, you better find out why.
Old 04-19-12, 12:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Since this vehicle is being purchased from a Lexus dealer wouldn't it be a CPO vehicle and covered to 100k? If not, you better find out why.
Not all used Lexus vehicles sold from the dealer are CPO. They seem to cherry pick a few which come with the warranty but also with a premium price. Others may have too many miles or age to qualify for CPO. An '07 probably would not qualify.
Old 04-19-12, 12:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Lexus says, "6 model years or newer/less than 70,000 miles" so this vehicle would perhaps "just" qualify.
Old 04-19-12, 12:30 PM
afakhori
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
You can only buy a Lexus extended warranty if the vehicle is still under the Lexus factory warranty. At 70k miles this vehicle does not qualify. Since this vehicle is being purchased from a Lexus dealer wouldn't it be a CPO vehicle and covered to 100k? If not, you better find out why.
I spoke with the dealership manager, since you're right - usually they certify them under 70k. He said the reason it's not certified is that they wanted to keep it at a certain price point. A certification instantly adds about 3k to the purchase price. He assured me that there are no other reasons that it is not certified aside from keeping it at a certain price point.
I'm going to have the sales associate pull the records for me, so I can look over what the mechanic said when they first got it at that dealer, a little over a month ago.

I attached a pdf of the service history, and here is the link to the carfax:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=CBT_4
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Service history.pdf (76.2 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by afakhori; 04-19-12 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-20-12, 04:19 AM
RxInAtl
Driver School Candidate

The two 'pricey' things to check for are the white particles on the dash when using the heater and the leak in the steering rack. These two seem to plague all of the 2007's. A quick forum search will pull up lots of info on these.
Old 04-20-12, 10:58 AM
afakhori
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help! I fly out tomorrow morning and should be at the dealership by 11am mst.
I'll be sure to crank the heat to check for white flakes, along with a leaking steering rack, and headlight condensation.
Anything else, just let me know! I appreciate all the help and look forward to being part of the community!

Quick Reply: About to Buy an 07 350 - Thoughts?