RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

04 RX330 AWD New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 05:04 PM
fourstar32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 RX330 AWD New Owner

Hi, my name is Will and I recently bought my first Lexus, an 04 RX 330 AWD, from my mom. I was previously a toyota owner, but I love the comfort, style, and luxury of the RX. My mom bought it as a certified pre owned and then she racked up some serious miles, mostly highway, but almost 168,000. I love the RX but im afraid the transmission is about to go and I dont want to be on the hook for some 5G's on a car with 168,000 miles. I am considering replacing the timing belt, tensioner and water pump (the are due at 160K, had this done by my mom at 80K) and keeping the RX til it hits 200K. But at the same time I dont know if it will go to 200K without some serious repairs, the transmission feels kind of jumpy at times. Could this be the computer adjusting to my new driving style? I need some honest feedback because I love this car and Lexus but I am a broke recent graduate who cant sink several thousand in a car with this many miles. Please give me some honest feedback on what I should do and If you know of any RX's with over 200K miles. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and best regards to all,
Old 05-19-12, 05:22 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread is fun...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...m-in-love.html
Old 05-19-12, 05:35 PM
fourstar32
Driver School Candidate

For the record I only paid 7K for the RX and that price was what really convinced me to buy it, I read those old posts and they are outdated, I need some new feedback people these 04s got to be getting up there in miles! Please help because I need to determine if I should sell it or keep it (I got offers for 9-10K on it as is)
Old 05-19-12, 05:38 PM
fourstar32
Driver School Candidate

And 225K is not a good example, I would sell it right after it hit 200K, I would be looking to keep it 2-3 years, I just got a great job and should be able to buy a new or CPO by then
Old 05-19-12, 08:05 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't change the timing belt until at least 180K. Search timing belt in this forumand you will see why, but since I have done that job 3 times on 3 different vehicles (friend's and mine), I would trust the belt is not even close to wearing down yet with only 80K on it. I'm on my second one, and I wont' change it for at least 110 K maybe 125K if I keep the car that long.
Old 05-19-12, 08:24 PM
fourstar32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
I wouldn't change the timing belt until at least 180K. Search timing belt in this forumand you will see why, but since I have done that job 3 times on 3 different vehicles (friend's and mine), I would trust the belt is not even close to wearing down yet with only 80K on it. I'm on my second one, and I wont' change it for at least 110 K maybe 125K if I keep the car that long.
I really appreciate the feedback, in the older threads i read that most timing belts are good for at least 120K and show no signs of wear. However, when i start it up, the belt makes a squealing noise. Was told this is the tensioner but not sure. This belt now is just shy of 90 K so it should be good for another 30. It was originally a NJ car, and I just moved it to florida with me, so Im not sure if the squealing has anything to do with the ridiculous humidity and moisture in the south florida air
Old 05-20-12, 12:18 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fourstar32
I really appreciate the feedback, in the older threads i read that most timing belts are good for at least 120K and show no signs of wear. However, when i start it up, the belt makes a squealing noise. Was told this is the tensioner but not sure. This belt now is just shy of 90 K so it should be good for another 30. It was originally a NJ car, and I just moved it to florida with me, so Im not sure if the squealing has anything to do with the ridiculous humidity and moisture in the south florida air
New to Florida? The heat and humidity levels are nothing yet. Wait until July and August.
Old 05-20-12, 02:06 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

For the record I only paid 7K for the RX and that price was what really convinced me to buy it, I read those old posts and they are outdated, I need some new feedback people these 04s got to be getting up there in miles! Please help because I need to determine if I should sell it or keep it (I got offers for 9-10K on it as is)
My 04 has 60k on it... and I bought it with 58k back in October. Lol. It sounds like you're more for selling it than keeping it. Just go ahead and do that, since you do plan on a new ride sooner rather than later.
Old 05-20-12, 03:20 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow so many new owners this week on the forum. Very cool!!
Old 05-20-12, 06:22 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Here's an idea

Hi, my name is Will and I recently bought my first Lexus, an 04 RX 330 AWD, from my mom. I was previously a toyota owner, but I love the comfort, style, and luxury of the RX. My mom bought it as a certified pre owned and then she racked up some serious miles, mostly highway, but almost 168,000. I love the RX but im afraid the transmission is about to go and I dont want to be on the hook for some 5G's on a car with 168,000 miles. I am considering replacing the timing belt, tensioner and water pump (the are due at 160K, had this done by my mom at 80K) and keeping the RX til it hits 200K. But at the same time I dont know if it will go to 200K without some serious repairs, the transmission feels kind of jumpy at times. Could this be the computer adjusting to my new driving style? I need some honest feedback because I love this car and Lexus but I am a broke recent graduate who cant sink several thousand in a car with this many miles. Please give me some honest feedback on what I should do and If you know of any RX's with over 200K miles. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and best regards to all,
Take it to a tranny shop and let them look at it. It simply might need a new screen and fluid flush. You bought a Lexus, now is not the time to start pitching pennies. C'mon man
Old 05-20-12, 07:03 AM
toughlex21
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2004 RX, which I bought brand new. I now have 231,000 miles on it. No major issues. The transmission never was super smooth, in fact there was a TSB to reprogram it. It did help but not perfect. I waited until 140K to change the timing belt (probably too long to wait and was lucky it did not break). The only other compaints i have is a leaking radiator (I'm on my second one). These radiators were known to leak and Lexus did send owners info on that back in 04-05. My other complaint is a dash rattle but that has been there since the time I bought the car. Never had it fixed because i didnt want my dash removed so i lived with it. You should get many more miles out of the car with proper maintenence. Good luck to you!
Old 05-20-12, 08:01 AM
fourstar32
Driver School Candidate

nope been here for over 6 years, but the car is new to florida so Im wondering if that has anything to do with the squealing only at start up
Old 05-20-12, 08:06 AM
fourstar32
Driver School Candidate

And pinching pennies? Nah I ain't a millionaire but im far from broke. Just don't want to sink a ton of money into a car with 170K miles, I think that anyone with any financial sense would do the same thing. And I don't know where you get that Im more fore selling it, like I said I love the car and 04 was the year that the RX get many awards from JD Power and many other companies, prob best model year for the RX (read it for yourself). Toughlex thank you, you are one of the few who actually helped answer my question. I know about the radiator problems and that was replaced long ago. This car is a cream puff people it was my moms so she made sure all the maintenence got taken care of, its not like im buying from some knucklehead
Old 05-20-12, 08:13 AM
fourstar32
Driver School Candidate

Look im basically asking for people who has 2nd gen RX's with over 200K miles and no major repairs. Some how we got these people asking if i just moved to fl, talking about a car with 60K, and telling me im pinching pennies when I'm buying a 40K car for 7K. Please keep your posts limited to 04-05 RX's with over 200K or anything about replacing the timing belt/tensioner/squealing or transmission issues, thank you and best regards
Old 05-20-12, 09:08 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Our 2004 RX330 was purchased new in November 2003 and is getting ready to turn 160K. The only issues we have had are:
--brake rotor warping
--when cold out, an annoying creak on the passenger side of the dash/near the pillar
--paint chipping on the mirrors

Otherwise, it has just been routine maintenance. No issues with the transmission (never had the TSB applied), but we have had a fluid exchange performed every 30K. Also, you can easily go 110K on a timing belt/water pump, so you have time on it.

You could always try and reset the ECU (although you will likely have to reset your power windows afterwards) to clear out any memory.

For us, it has been a very reliable vehicle that we would definitely purchase again. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 04 RX330 AWD New Owner