RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New to Me 07 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 09:19 PM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New to Me 07 RX350

Picked up the wife's RX on Tuesday. Bought it from the estate of a friend of a friends brother. Needed some interior cleaning. I told the wife that it would be good mother/daughter bonding time. As for the rest of it, it's all good. Brand new tires, brakes and battery just before we bought it...

My wife gave it a bath today. I just walked out to the garage to get a pop and noticed this...

Bummer. Oh well, I have a caulking gun, a tube of clear silicone and I'm not afraid to use it.

The guy we got it from found the window sticker and sent it home with my buddy whom he works with. Holy crap, thins thing was 47K new I noticed that the factory warranty is 6 years/70K miles. Does this transfer to multiple owners? I know that the CPO warranty doesn't but not sure about the factory.

All in all, I really like it. I have always loved BMW's for their build quality, but always balked at buying one for a lack of long term reliability. The RX is right up there in build quality and I intend to find out if it's reliability lives up to it's reputation.
Old 05-20-12, 01:17 AM
uginjeon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulation. That's a great car. When we bought the RX330 used, I sent to be detailed. Which is like getting a new car afterwards.

Basic warranty is 4 year / 50,000 miles and I believe drive train is 6 year / 70,000 miles. I would definitely go see a dealer and see if you're covered for the headlight anyways.
Old 05-20-12, 03:19 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you really enjoy it!!
Old 05-14-19, 08:37 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

7 years, 220K mile update...

My wife and I were arguing about when exactly we bought this car. I knew I was right, and knew I could pop in here and prove it.

Still the best car we have ever owned. Regular maintenance, replaced both rear wheel bearings, and one near death experience with the rubber oil line on the front of the motor is all the work this thing has ever required.

Bought her a "new to her" 2015 RX on Saturday. Fingers crossed it lives up to its predecessor.
Old 05-14-19, 09:23 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

So did you trade in the 07 or are you a 2 RX family now?
Old 05-14-19, 09:53 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DennisMik
So did you trade in the 07 or are you a 2 RX family now?
My son took it back to St Louis with him. He's in the process of moving and had some stuff to haul back. More room than his Acura TL. He'll bring it back over Memorial Day. He mentioned that maybe he'd want it. He hunts and fishes a lot. His TL isn't great for hauling 8-9' fly rods.

We'll see what happens. I was actually shopping for a new car for me when our neighbor mentioned getting rid of their RX. Made us an offer we couldn't refuse so I bought it for the wife.

She said I could have it, she's still perfectly happy with her 07, even prefers it in some ways, but I have no interest in driving either one. I prefer driving my 6 speed manual Audi A4. Even though it's a flaming pile of dog crap compared to the RXs, it's much more fun pile of dog crap.

I'll keep shopping for me, probably for another Audi. Another 6 speed manual, but this time one that starts with an "S".
Old 05-23-22, 11:10 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

10 year, 240,000 mile update...

Son has had the old RX for three years. Only put 20K on it, since he had a company car. He changed jobs and decided to buy a new car so he brought the old girl home last weekend.

It had a HORRIBLE vibration when braking. Rotors all looked really bad for about 3/4" around their outer edge. Put new pads and rotors all around and cleaned her up a little. Also had to order a new molding for the driver's side rear door. It just fell off one day after a trip through the carwash.

Now looking for a new home for the old girl.

Wife has been driving it and tried to convince me to keep it and sell her 2015. She just prefers driving it. And while I don't doubt this car will hit 350K, I don't want to push our luck.

And I gave up my dream of another 6 speed Audi with an "S" in the name. I've realized I will probably never reach the maturity level where I'll posses the restraint to drive one, and stay out of jail.

So I settled for another "A" car, this time a 6. The 3.0 supercharged V6 is plenty peppy...

New to Me 07 RX350-lpej1pll.jpg

The following 3 users liked this post by ghuns:
01LEXPL (05-25-22), nitalice (06-01-22), spinellib (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 07:27 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

Is that a black interior in the RX? Nice.
I wish my RX had the black leather.
The following users liked this post:
ghuns (05-24-22)
Old 05-24-22, 04:00 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Selling it is on hold right now as I noticed a small puddle of coolant where my wife parked it yesterday. After a bit of snooping around I fear that the water pump is leaking.
Old 05-25-22, 05:16 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ghuns
Selling it is on hold right now as I noticed a small puddle of coolant where my wife parked it yesterday. After a bit of snooping around I fear that the water pump is leaking.
If its under/around the passenger wheel area, definitely the WP. Recently had it happen, a week before it was going in to get the Timing belt/WP done lol
Old 05-25-22, 05:36 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
If its under/around the passenger wheel area, definitely the WP. Recently had it happen, a week before it was going in to get the Timing belt/WP done lol
Yep. Runs down the passenger side of motor behind the crank pulley and around to the back where it drips off the edge of the oil pan...

New to Me 07 RX350-k8ernzgl.jpg

Only really leaks for about 15 minutes after you shut it off. Drips a few tablespoons worth before it quits.

Had a buddy who wanted it for his 15 year old, soon to be driving kid. He can fix about anything so I offered it to him for a grand less than we'd agreed on. He passed.

So last night I ordered a WP, 2 idler pulleys, tensioner pulley, thermostat, and serpentine belt. The current serpentine belt is original.

I'll fix it up next weekend and then hopefully sell it for closer to the ridiculous current KBB value of it...

New to Me 07 RX350-zulk5ykl.jpg

Old 05-25-22, 07:04 AM
spinellib
Intermediate

I don't understand how used Hondas are selling for crazy-high prices but used Lexuses (especially the RX's) are not.
(2018 Honda Element or HRV are selling for almost the same price as new. Makes no sense.)
Just my opinion, but I see a lot of value in these 04-09 RX's at the current price range.
The following users liked this post:
Felix (05-25-22)
Old 05-25-22, 08:18 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spinellib
I don't understand how used Hondas are selling for crazy-high prices but used Lexuses (especially the RX's) are not.
(2018 Honda Element or HRV are selling for almost the same price as new. Makes no sense.)
Just my opinion, but I see a lot of value in these 04-09 RX's at the current price range.
My wife and I had to think hard about whether to sell the 240K mile '07 or the 100K mile '15. She actually prefers to drive the '07. And after I do the WP, it should be good to go for quite awhile.

I was shocked at what KBB says the value of the '07 is, but I was even more shocked when I went to cars.com and searched for '15s, around 100K miles, within 250 miles of me.

Cheapest one I found was asking $24K.

I didn't pay that much for ours three years and 45K miles ago.
Old 05-25-22, 10:35 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

My wife and I had to think hard about whether to sell the 240K mile '07 or the 100K mile '15. She actually prefers to drive the '07. And after I do the WP, it should be good to go for quite awhile.

I was shocked at what KBB says the value of the '07 is, but I was even more shocked when I went to cars.com and searched for '15s, around 100K miles, within 250 miles of me.

Cheapest one I found was asking $24K.

I didn't pay that much for ours three years and 45K miles ago.
The rule for 2021-2022: If you don't need a car - don't buy it now. If you really need a car -- buy a brand new, since 2-3 y/o are priced higher than the new one.
Old 05-25-22, 02:33 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

And after I do the WP, it should be good to go for quite awhile.
It sounds like your wife wouldn't be driving a lot of miles per year.
So, sure, why not keep it around for another 5 years.

(Although, 15K miles/year is kind of a lot. But if you're only driving 7K or 8K miles a year, that's fine for an old car.)

Last edited by spinellib; 05-25-22 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: New to Me 07 RX350