RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Fuel Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 09:58 AM
martini84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Stabilizer

I have an 2007 RX350 and I was wondering what is the best fuel stabilizer I can use for my car. My car needs premium gas also. Any suggestions please?

Happy Memorial day and thanks to our veterans!
Old 05-27-12, 10:26 AM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

I use Seafoam. Directly on gas tank (when near empty and then fill up). Works for me. Every 5K miles.
Old 05-27-12, 10:40 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are driving normal mileage and using premium fuel you shouldn't need to add a fuel stabilizer. On the other hand if you are storing the vehicle or filing up infrequently a stabilizer would help.
Old 05-27-12, 10:50 AM
martini84
Driver School Candidate

cool, thank you both.
Old 05-30-12, 12:26 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

May I ask why you need a fuel stabilizer ?
Old 05-30-12, 04:09 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an old Corvette that is stored at least four months out of the year and I sometimes (intentionally) forget to put fuel stabilizer in it when I store it for the winter. The car ALWAYS starts and runs just fine. If you are driving your car on a normal basis there isn't ANY logical reason to buy and use fuel stabilizer. Someone is trying to sell you something you don't need, imo. Sort of like Marvel Mystery Oil that someone on a Corvette forum said was good for adding to engine oil after an engine rebuild as well as put into a gas tank! Wow! It works as both a lubricant and oils agent?

Forget about oil and fuel additives on a conventionally driven car, imo.

Last edited by Grumpa72; 05-31-12 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-30-12, 11:30 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
I have an old Corvette that is stored at least four months out of the year and I sometimes (intentionally) forget to put fuel stabilizer in it when I store it for the winter. The car ALWAYS starts and runs just fine. If you are driving your car on a normal basis there isn't ANY logical reason to buy and use fuel stabilizer. Someone is trying to sell you something you don't need, imo. Sort of like Marvel Mystery Oil that someone on a Corvette forum said was good for adding to engine oil after an engine rebuild as well as put into a gas tank! Wow! It works as both a lubricant and oils agent.

Forget about oil and fuel additives on a conventionally driven car, imo.
+1. I store my BMW for four to five months a year, and have never used fuel stabilizer. Never had a problem.
Old 05-31-12, 07:25 AM
neilaz
Driver School Candidate

I use a stabilizer for any fuel being stored for more than a month due to the ethanol. If you don't have ethanol it is not as likely to absorb water and then have that water fall out of suspension.
Old 05-31-12, 07:45 AM
tfischer

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Fuel stabilizers are pretty inexpensive, and I doubt that there is much difference between the brands. It is not something to be added to the car on a regular basis, only when leaving a car unattended for several months or more, such as storing a convertible over the winter, or leaving a car in Florida during the summer. Considering the small cost, it's not a bad idea in those circumstances. I don't drive my convertible much during the 3 or 4 winter months here in Ohio, and I usually add stabilizer just for the heck of it.
Old 05-31-12, 08:41 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neilaz
I use a stabilizer for any fuel being stored for more than a month due to the ethanol. If you don't have ethanol it is not as likely to absorb water and then have that water fall out of suspension.
Before storage, I fill up the tank as completely as possible. This is to prevent fuel contact with air. Why would ethanol's absorbed water 'fall out of suspension' when ethanol (i.e. alcohol) is known to absorb humidity/water rather than release it?
Old 06-01-12, 07:09 AM
neilaz
Driver School Candidate

Maybe this will help: Ethanol is a hygroscopic liquid, meaning that is readily attaches to water. It it also fully miscible (mixable) with water. In very small amounts this is not a problem. But when the saturation exceeds a specific amount is becomes a major problem called Phase Separation. The amount of water Ethanol can safely absorb is dependent on the temperature of the fuel. At 70°F it is .5% (.005) of the volume. If it exceeds this amount the Ethanol and water will fall from suspension and sink to the bottom of the tank forming an Ethanol /Water layer that can produce acids and cause major engine failures. Look around and you will find a lot of info on this.
Old 06-01-12, 12:25 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neilaz
Maybe this will help: Ethanol is a hygroscopic liquid, meaning that is readily attaches to water. It it also fully miscible (mixable) with water. In very small amounts this is not a problem. But when the saturation exceeds a specific amount is becomes a major problem called Phase Separation. The amount of water Ethanol can safely absorb is dependent on the temperature of the fuel. At 70°F it is .5% (.005) of the volume. If it exceeds this amount the Ethanol and water will fall from suspension and sink to the bottom of the tank forming an Ethanol /Water layer that can produce acids and cause major engine failures. Look around and you will find a lot of info on this.
With a full tank, there is little chance that the saturation point will be reached, other than if it was reached previously, which is most unlikely since problems would have occurred.
Old 06-01-12, 10:02 PM
willyb0b
Pole Position

STA-BIL with a fresh tank of gas. You can go 1-2 years depending on how much you use. Directions are easy to follow on how much to use and the stuff is pretty cheap.
Old 06-02-12, 04:01 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by willyb0b
STA-BIL with a fresh tank of gas. You can go 1-2 years depending on how much you use. Directions are easy to follow on how much to use and the stuff is pretty cheap.
FWIW, here is a link to a $2.00 rebate on STA-BIL good until the end of the year.
http://www.goldeagle.com/UserFiles/file/STA-BIL%20files/S_STABIL%20Marine$2Rebate3_11.pdf
Old 06-02-12, 11:13 AM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab
FWIW, here is a link to a $2.00 rebate on STA-BIL good until the end of the year.
http://www.goldeagle.com/UserFiles/file/STA-BIL%20files/S_STABIL%20Marine$2Rebate3_11.pdf

I'm printing one out now! thanks!

Quick Reply: Fuel Stabilizer