RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Road trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 09:34 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Road trip

I just returned from the Florida Keys. I calculated the amount of fuel I pumped and the miles I drove; I was quite pleased that my RX filled with dive gear I managed to get 24.7 MPG. However the time between Orlando to Miami where I paced a 911 turbo between 90 to 100 MPH my mileage went down to 17 MPG.

While I was washing my RX I did notice something odd; infront of the roof rack cross beam on both the drivers' and passengers' side the clear coat paint is gone. Has anyone else experience this? And can anyone offer any suggestions?
Old 07-02-12, 09:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Your a braver soul than I am my friend. 90 - 100 mph?? Wow. As for the clear coat by the roof rack, what color is your RX? And just curious, what octane fuel did you use?
Old 07-02-12, 09:50 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

My RX is silver. For fuel I used Shell V-power with Lucas fuel treatment. As for the speed the RX was very stable minus the poor fuel economy
Old 07-02-12, 09:54 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you look in the owners manual for my 2007, it says to air up the 17 inch tires 2 more pounds if you plan in sustained driving of over 100 mph, so evidently the engineers think its ok.
Old 07-02-12, 10:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I leave the high speed driving for the German cars thanks.
Old 07-02-12, 10:42 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Lexus114 makes sense I just wanted to start vacation and diving a little faster I guess and I had the perfect car to distract traffic officers(911) I just stayed 1/4 mile back and watched for brake lights
Old 07-02-12, 10:47 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diverchris
Lexus114 makes sense I just wanted to start vacation and diving a little faster I guess and I had the perfect car to distract traffic officers(911) I just stayed 1/4 mile back and watched for brake lights

I`m sure the RX can handle it. Heck my 05 cruises much better on the highway than my 01 did. Probably the 5th gear has something to do with that. But I buy the Lexus`s for reliability & Comfort. And it seems as soon as I get up to any speed around here, I`m all the sudden hitting very bad spots on the roadway. I.e speed bump things, crack`s, uneven pavement etc.
Old 07-02-12, 12:47 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

That is the way to do it. Besides, if you are not doing 80MPH you risk getting run over.

I regularly have made trips back and forth from FL to PA and back. Perhaps 3K or more miles by the time I am done. You still have to keep an eye in the rearview mirror to make sure nothing sneaks up behind you and especially after passing entry ramps. As long as the wind is not blowing too much, the RX (at least mine) is quite stable as you near triple digit speeds. It actually hits a sweet spot somewhere around 85MPH. Usually run my Alenzas at 36PSI (cold) during those trips.

Those segments of interstate or turnpike between Miami and Orlando, depending on which you took, are fairly smooth. Is usually not too bad until you get to VA/WV as you are heading north depending on which route you take. Once I hit PA I take air out of my tires to deal with the bad roads and especially before I hit I-79 if taking the western route first.
Old 07-03-12, 08:44 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

I took I75 and Florida Turnpike- its a much easier drive than Pa WVa Va SC and so on
Old 07-04-12, 06:30 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

I have two words of advice for those taking such trips, from personal experience: Valentine One.
Don't leave home without it.
Old 07-04-12, 01:13 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
I have two words of advice for those taking such trips, from personal experience: Valentine One.
Don't leave home without it.
Illegal in Virginia and DC. Do they still enforce these laws?
Old 07-04-12, 06:14 PM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

I just drove through DC and Virginia; my V1 alerted me to several VA Troopers, but none of them stopped me to chat. It's pretty hard to get going fast in the District, so that's of no real import - although it is odd (or maybe ironic) that DC outlaws a detector while Federal law gives all citizens a right to receive any broadcast on any frequency that is out there in the ether.
On the other hand, my answer to your question is I don't know.
Old 07-05-12, 04:50 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

IMHO, I-75 in Florida is one of the worst roads to speed excessively on, particularly the area south of Tampa down towards Naples. It has way too many hidden areas for police to tuck their cruisers into and since it is mostly just two lanes in either direction, there frequent sudden slowdowns as vehicles enter and exit that road and the trucks amble over to the open lane. That has to be one of the roads with the highest number of rollovers in the US. Couple that with a vast number of old geezers cruising along at 50 in the passing lane in their mobile homes pulling their SUV behind them and you will be lucky to avoid running into them. Stay safe!
Old 07-05-12, 02:33 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

I would agree the I75 in Florida is horrible but the Turnpike is great.
But to get back on topic has anyone else noticed the clear coat paint missing around their roof rack near the cross-beams?
Chris
Old 07-05-12, 03:48 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would agree the I75 in Florida is horrible but the Turnpike is great.
But to get back on topic has anyone else noticed the clear coat paint missing around their roof rack near the cross-beams?
Chris
Would it be possible to post a picture?
Is it on the painted roof, cross or side rails?
Almost seems like the same problem someone has with the top of the side view mirror clearcoat peeling/flaking away.

Quick Reply: Road trip