RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Reset the key to default

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-12, 09:14 AM
ramshyd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reset the key to default

Any idea / suggestion on how to reset the 2009 RX 350 remote key's to default? My previous owner had customized settings, and I prefer the defaults. For example, the trunk opens with two key presses as the customized setting. I want the default hold & press once.

Help much appreciated!
Old 07-04-12, 09:29 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Remove the battery from the key, hopefully that would reset it to default.
Old 07-04-12, 03:40 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ramshyd
Any idea / suggestion on how to reset the 2009 RX 350 remote key's to default? My previous owner had customized settings, and I prefer the defaults. For example, the trunk opens with two key presses as the customized setting. I want the default hold & press once.

Help much appreciated!
Those settings are not 'in the key', but are set at the vehicle's computer IC. The dealer can reset. It may be that removing wires from the car's battery for a short while resets everything to default (I don't know) but you would also need to reset seat / radio settings and window / sunroof.
Old 07-05-12, 10:47 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the LPS (Lexus Personalized Settings) can only be set at the dealership, and I think they are committed to memory, every time they make a change. The only setting I believe "you" can change, is the way the doors unlock/lock in regards to vehicle movement, shifter changing gears and so on, and those instructions can all be found in the manual.

-Joe
Old 07-05-12, 12:59 PM
ramshyd
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thanks for all the replies.

Jamadeo - do you know how to change the settings that you mentioned? I am very interested in shifter changing gears.

My RX 2009 takes a long time to shift to next gear - so, my MPG might get a bit affected (my current mpg is 19 city, 24 hwy). Also, i feel there is NO coasting possible in my car. When i take off my foot from the pedal, there is a lot of breaking and the speeds go down quickly...

I wish the ride was like my 09 honda civic - beautiful coasting, and believe or not mpg of 38 on highways and 30 in city (Non - hybrid!)

So there are two questions here -

a) settings to modify the shifter changing gears
b) coasting - how to? put the vehicle in Neutral isn't something i feel right..

Ideas are welcome! This is absolutely a great place.
Old 07-05-12, 01:07 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are seeing the effects of the relatively high compression ration of 10.8 to 1.

This is why the mpg's for this much power out of 3.5 liters are pretty favorable compared to other makes.
Old 07-05-12, 02:44 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Help much appreciated!
Link below to a .pdf file provides what the standard and optional settings are, only programed by a scan tool. Hope it'll help.

http://lexus2.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/258/
Old 07-05-12, 02:48 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Jamadeo - do you know how to change the settings that you mentioned? I am very interested in shifter changing gears.

My RX 2009 takes a long time to shift to next gear - so, my MPG might get a bit affected (my current mpg is 19 city, 24 hwy). Also, i feel there is NO coasting possible in my car. When i take off my foot from the pedal, there is a lot of breaking and the speeds go down quickly...

I wish the ride was like my 09 honda civic - beautiful coasting, and believe or not mpg of 38 on highways and 30 in city (Non - hybrid!)

That was not what jamodeo was talking about. He was referring to the door automatically locking when you put the car in reverse and opening when you put the car in park. These are part of the settings on your Lexus.

Please read the Owner's Manual and the document posted by cartman57.
Old 07-05-12, 03:13 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comparing an apple to a watermelon, take into consideration size and design of both vehicles.

Your mileage 'seems' good, only way to know for sure is to have it mechanically checked to see if any brake caliper is not functioning correctly.
I miss my old 1976 AMC Pacer, big ol fishbowl with a 258 CID inline 6 that got 20 MPG, (that was then) fast forward 38 years later, not too much an improvement in MPG is there?
Old 07-05-12, 07:15 PM
ramshyd
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm yup.. any way the gear shifting based on speed can be altered? I prefer closer shorter gears. Also my civic gets to overdrive quickly.. is there a way i can achieve that in rx?
Old 07-05-12, 07:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmmm yup.. any way the gear shifting based on speed can be altered? I prefer closer shorter gears. Also my civic gets to overdrive quickly.. is there a way i can achieve that in rx?
No on both accounts. If that is what you were looking for in an RX you got the wrong vehicle.
Old 07-05-12, 08:33 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you test drive the RX before you bought it? It definitely shifts and drives differently than my two GM vehicles.

Mileage of 19/24 is pretty good for the size and power of this SUV, IMHO.
Old 07-06-12, 11:29 AM
ramshyd
Driver School Candidate

but i thought someone mentioned about programming the lexus on when to switch gears?! may not be possible by us, probably by the dealers?
i wont sweat on it, because i read elsewhere in the forum and looks like i am about at the right mpg. Thanks. First time SUV buyer after so many years with just sedans.