RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Alignment help needed please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 10:37 PM
Fahmed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment help needed please!

Hi Guys,

First time poster, but I've been following it for quite a while, usually I can find my info in past threads, this is the first time I couldn't

Car:
2004 RX330 with Air Suspension , 116,000 miles, Last alignment at 50-55,000 miles.

Problem
I went in to lexus for 4 new tires being mounted and balanced and a 4 wheel alignment.

I got a call from my service advisor stating that they couldn't do an alignment for the rear two wheels because the :" Rear toe arms and adjustment bolts are seized" and unfortunately the rear end is out of spec,.

He then said that both the toe arms and bolts would need to be replaced, and the cost of parts and labor was $985.

I'm not super familiar with alignment issues, but I know typically when a bolt is frozen they heat it up or they will cut it out and replace it. I'm not understanding why the toe arms would need to be replaced, especially since they never got the bolt off to check movement of the arm.

Am I wrong to think that just bolt needs to be replaced? Rather than just a toe arm?

Also, I know this is a long shot, but the car is currently set in the mode where it automatically lowers the "low" when put in park (air suspension), is it possible that being in the "low" mode would interfere with adjusting the bolts at all?

I've just never seen anything like this. If you guys could help me out I would appreciate it.
Old 08-01-12, 05:21 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Are you handy? Because $1000 for that work is crazy. You can get those parts for less than $300 total on ebay (OEM, Megan, etc.).

This is for 2nd Gen GS:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...l-arm-diy.html

I must be missing something here...
Old 08-01-12, 05:23 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

I personally would get my car back, hose those bolts down with deep creep:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/deep-creep.html

Let it sit over night then check myself to see if they are seized. Then report back.
Old 08-05-12, 01:50 PM
Fahmed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response, I picked the car up, and have been soaking it in PB Blaster, for the past few days, on Monday I'm gonna take it over to VS motorsports (Schaumburg) to see if they can do anything about the bolts, otherwise I'll get a quote on replacing the parts.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-12, 02:17 PM
ELITech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It is not uncommon with higher mileage RXs to have seized toe bolts and arms. It depends on the severity of rust if you can free them up or not. The worst case scenario is that the bolt seizes inside the bushing on the toe arm... Metal on metal seized up if you will. If it is this severe, chances are PB blaster will be no help, and the arms will have to be cut out.

I have seen both ends from the lightly rusted, and just need some good arm strength, to where I have had to cut them out.

It depends on whether or not you will be able to squeak by so to speak...
Old 08-05-12, 03:56 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ELITech
It is not uncommon with higher mileage RXs to have seized toe bolts and arms. It depends on the severity of rust if you can free them up or not. The worst case scenario is that the bolt seizes inside the bushing on the toe arm... Metal on metal seized up if you will. If it is this severe, chances are PB blaster will be no help, and the arms will have to be cut out.

I have seen both ends from the lightly rusted, and just need some good arm strength, to where I have had to cut them out.

It depends on whether or not you will be able to squeak by so to speak...
I ran into this problem on my '05 with 73k at the time. Fortunately, it's a Texas car (low rust) and it finally gave but I was not enjoying the proposed alternatives had it not.
Old 08-05-12, 08:55 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

I would go the pb blaster route and then if necessary take a torch to the area to heat it up and try to bust them loose.
Old 08-06-12, 05:57 PM
ELITech
Driver

Originally Posted by thomas1
I would go the pb blaster route and then if necessary take a torch to the area to heat it up and try to bust them loose.
Normally I would agree, but the torch idea is not a good option with the rubber bushings there. You run a high risk of destroying the bushings with the excess heat.
Old 08-06-12, 06:28 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure you get the print out from the alignment machine. hen you can see for yourself what the spec is versus what your car is.

if the rear is out a little, it wont make a big difference anyway.

and perhaps try a tre shop, with someone who does alignments all day
Old 08-06-12, 06:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ELITech
Normally I would agree, but the torch idea is not a good option with the rubber bushings there. You run a high risk of destroying the bushings with the excess heat.
Say nothing for the fact that these types of products have a tendency to catch fire should there be any appreciable residue when exposed to flame.
Old 08-07-12, 06:24 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

I understand, sorry forgot about the rubber bushings...maybe a hair dryer and and a little pb blaster....
Old 08-07-12, 05:24 PM
ELITech
Driver

Oh, and since someone mentioend it earlier... the rear toe spec for the RX is 0.12 each side. Note that is positive not negative....