RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

aftermarket rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 12:05 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwbizkid
Brakes and Tires are items I would never deviate from OEM on its a safety item IMHO. It's a Lexus not a KIA.....don't skimp on items that could save you or your loved ones.
Have to disagree. You can find better tires and brake pads and rotors than OEM, and for a better price to boot.
Old 08-09-12, 12:17 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Latest news.

Here is the latest. My local Toyota parts guy is willing to give me a discount on those Lexus branded items that also have Toyota applications. By the time I factor in shipping from Sewell (great prices btw but with cast iron parts like brake drums, shipping is murder!) he will be at the same or even slightly better with ONE EXCEPTION. According to Sewell their part number for a rear disc (aka rotor) is 424310E011 which he cannot find. Can anyone supply a different part number for a 2005 RX330 rear rotor/disc?

And, for those that said Brembo was a good part, I can find rears only but not fronts. Anyone have a source and part number for a Brembo front rotor for the same vehicle? Two different places list rears only.

thank you for all of your replies. I decided against Advance Auto/Auto Zone/Kelly's etc and will go with a name brand only. As an added note, I cannot find a Raybestos dealer, just repair shops that use those parts and Centric doesn't sell directly to the consumer. Odd.

Last edited by Grumpa72; 08-09-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 12:48 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I dug around and found this:

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...431-48041.html

Be sure to cross-check.

Here is what comes up for the part number you had:

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...431-0e011.html
Old 08-09-12, 12:54 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I dug around and found this:

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...431-48041.html

Be sure to cross-check.

Here is what comes up for the part number you had:

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...431-0e011.html
Thank you for the reply. The 4243148041 is listed as a front rotor on Sewells front axle section and a different number, 42431-0e011, for their rear axle and then, right above the rear axle part number is the same 48081 number you gave. I believe this is a typo since it is rare to have the same rotor front and rear because of the parking brake arrangement. That is why I was asking if someone had a different number, or at least one that Toyota can use.
Old 08-09-12, 01:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Thank you for the reply. The 4243148041 is listed as a front rotor on Sewells front axle section and a different number, 42431-0e011, for their rear axle and then, right above the rear axle part number is the same 48081 number you gave. I believe this is a typo since it is rare to have the same rotor front and rear because of the parking brake arrangement. That is why I was asking if someone had a different number, or at least one that Toyota can use.
Here is what Iron Toad has to say:

http://irontoad.com/Merchant2/mercha...Code=2005rx330
Old 08-09-12, 02:57 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Have to disagree. You can find better tires and brake pads and rotors than OEM, and for a better price to boot.
+1. Purchase famous brand and select what they call 'professional grade'. Last year I had to replace the front pads and I ordered Monroe CX1005. No difference comparing with OEM. One year and 15K miles later, Only 1mm has been consumed. I am very satisfied.
Old 08-11-12, 04:13 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Default Final post on this!

Yesterday I ordered OEM Lexus branded parts from Sewell. Even with shipping on the rotors, their price was better than my local Toyota dealer. Sewell was a tad under $50 cheaper than the local Toyota dealer. The parts should be here mid-week and will be installed the next day.

Side note - does anyone know the size of the bolt that gets threaded into the rotor holes that allow you to gently push the rotor off of the hub?

Thanks for all your comments. The final straw was for ordering Lexus branded parts was the inability to find a name brand, non-slotted, not drilled, OEM only style rotor that had a reputation to stand behind. Lexus isn't cheap but I don't mind spending good money on good parts.
Old 08-11-12, 05:19 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Yesterday I ordered OEM Lexus branded parts from Sewell. Even with shipping on the rotors, their price was better than my local Toyota dealer. Sewell was a tad under $50 cheaper than the local Toyota dealer. The parts should be here mid-week and will be installed the next day.

Side note - does anyone know the size of the bolt that gets threaded into the rotor holes that allow you to gently push the rotor off of the hub?

Thanks for all your comments. The final straw was for ordering Lexus branded parts was the inability to find a name brand, non-slotted, not drilled, OEM only style rotor that had a reputation to stand behind. Lexus isn't cheap but I don't mind spending good money on good parts.
Grumpa,
sorry I've missed your original post, and looks like you've already ordered the rotors. I would highly recommend Brembo (OEM) rotors (non-drilled and non-slotted) from Tire Rack. I've purchased all 4 from them 2 months ago. The part I liked about those is that the hubs (where they come in contact with the wheel) and the vent fins are painted with rust-resistant paint.
Last summer I did a rotor replacement on my 06 CRV and wet cheap ($30 each) from Autozone. The rotor fins and hubs are rusted now and the rotors look like crap (which doesn't influence the breaking performance).
If you'd like the factory look that won't rust - buy the painted ones.
As far as the push-bolts go, my CRV had those, but there are none on RX - the rotor just falls off the axle as soon as you remove the brake bracket.
Good luck!!!
Old 08-11-12, 05:23 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RockfordRX
Grumpa,
sorry I've missed your original post, and looks like you've already ordered the rotors. I would highly recommend Brembo (OEM) rotors (non-drilled and non-slotted) from Tire Rack. I've purchased all 4 from them 2 months ago. The part I liked about those is that the hubs (where they come in contact with the wheel) and the vent fins are painted with rust-resistant paint.
Last summer I did a rotor replacement on my 06 CRV and wet cheap ($30 each) from Autozone. The rotor fins and hubs are rusted now and the rotors look like crap (which doesn't influence the breaking performance).
As far as the push-bolts go, my CRV had those, but there are none on RX - the rotor just falls off the axle as soon as you remove the brake bracket.
Good luck!!!
I DID find Brembo's - but only for the rear. I went to a high end repair shop, Mercedes, Porches, Audis, BMWs, etc and they couldn't find anything other than rears either. Then I looked at Raybestos and found fronts only. Same thing with all of the name brands - I couldn't find a full set. I know that I will be happy with OEM, just a wee bit more money than aftermarket. Maybe I will do my own baked on paint for the hub!
Old 08-11-12, 08:26 PM
jconst6558
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RockfordRX
Grumpa,
Good luck!!!
The rotors will rust onto the axle hub and you'll need a couple of 8mm bolts to coax them off. As soon as the rust breaks loose, they'll fall off.
Old 08-12-12, 12:12 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jconst6558
The rotors will rust onto the axle hub and you'll need a couple of 8mm bolts to coax them off. As soon as the rust breaks loose, they'll fall off.
That is what I needed. Thank you.