RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12 | 10:59 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kickin8
some of them also offer a loaner car for oil change as well......
Not in this part of FL. Anything under 2 hrs. worth of service, even on a new purchase, does not get you a loaner. Not even for recalls.
Old 08-21-12 | 11:20 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zoso08RX
Mine is only $58.xx

Service and cleaned inside and out, I think its worth it.

Mine is $39.55 for Synthetic blend Valvoline. And $62.55 for Mobil-1 @ my Lexus dealer.
Old 08-21-12 | 12:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXRX04
I would agree with this...If you can't afford the luxury price...then you probably shouldn't own the car. Dealerships are there to make money...is it high...of coarse it is...but trying buying a Ford and get the same service....just won't happen.
I am going to agree and disagree with you here, LEXRX04. First, I agree with you general overall statement. Too many individuals purchase an expensive vehicle and then cheap out on its care. I remember with the Acura NSX came out and then shortly afterwards owners were complaining the tires were wearing out at 10K miles. Well duh, it is an exotic sports car. They took no time to truly understand what they had purchased.

Where I will disagree with you is that not all Lexus dealerships offer Lexus quality service. Why should we pay the Lexus price if we are not getting that level of service? This is even more evident when local independent and/or Toyota shops have stepped up their services and facilities in such a manner that they would be indistinguishable from the Lexus experience. Take one local Toyota shop in my area. They have a nearly new facility. Waiting room has free Wi-Fi Internet, a very large screen TV, comfortable seating, free bottled water, etc. If you do not want to hang around they offer a shuttle service to the local mall or even the nearby resort and golf course. If I were to take my RX to the nearest Lexus dealership and the service is not eligible for a loaner trying to get a lift to a nearby office or some other nearby location is like trying to pull teeth.

So, it is not just a matter of how much you pay for your service. It has to do with what you get for that dollar and how you are treated. I would gladly pay more for quality service from Lexus. I just do not get it in my area. Do not know how the Ford folks do locally, however, I do know there are better dealerships than the local Lexus shops.
Old 08-21-12 | 01:08 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Wow I should be really feel lucky, the dealership that I go to for the recalls has star bucks coffee, chilled bottle water, donuts and bagels with a toaster, free wifi, big screen TV and even individuals privacy work desk so I can VPN back to the office and work while I wait. One other service area also have soda fountains too and a small play area for kids. Although my 3 years old boy would just rather go around the show room and sit inside each and everyone of the of high end $50K+ LS460 or SUVs Lexus that are on display and play inside with pushing buttons and pretend driving @_@ loaners are always available to me when needed except for oil change.
Old 08-21-12 | 02:03 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mowmow
Wow I should be really feel lucky, the dealership that I go to for the recalls has star bucks coffee, chilled bottle water, donuts and bagels with a toaster, free wifi, big screen TV and even individuals privacy work desk so I can VPN back to the office and work while I wait. One other service area also have soda fountains too and a small play area for kids. Although my 3 years old boy would just rather go around the show room and sit inside each and everyone of the of high end $50K+ LS460 or SUVs Lexus that are on display and play inside with pushing buttons and pretend driving @_@ loaners are always available to me when needed except for oil change.
I cannot speak too much regarding the topic of coffee, however, all the shops seem to have fresh brewed coffee from a major brand name. As much for the employees as for the customers. I have seen danish, donuts and bagels at the Lexus dealer, but I have also seen some variation at most locations. No play areas for kids in any of the locals I have used. My local independent has bottles of water and cans of soda free for the customers. Neither Lexus dealers local have any soda -- just bottles of water.

At one point in time the local Mercedes dealership offered free car washes on Saturdays for its customers. Sure, you were expected to tip, but they did a good job. Never saw this with Lexus.

Here is a question for the group... Can you call your Lexus dealership, ask to speak to someone in service regarding a question you have regarding your vehicle, and not be put on hold for more than 15 minutes (without the receptionist coming on several times to put you back on hold) or sent directly to a voice mailbox? And, if sent to voicemail, how soon after you leave a message will someone give you a call back? I found it not unusual if I called and left a message in the morning not to get a call back that day if at all.
Old 08-21-12 | 02:12 PM
relax221
Driver

Default 2006 rx oil change

Local lexus dealer just went to $100 for an oil change...i went to toyota with a coupon $24 and they washed the car also
Old 08-21-12 | 03:04 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

You know I understand about saving some change but in fact getting simple things done at the dealership is worth your wild cuz you know it's going to be done right. Not by a wyotech reject that graduated just because the school had no choice but it allow him.....and with being said forgot to screw the oil drain plug in all the way. That the type of service you get from the other place that are quick. don't mean to offend anyone just my experience.
Old 08-21-12 | 05:19 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vicsis250
You know I understand about saving some change but in fact getting simple things done at the dealership is worth your wild cuz you know it's going to be done right. Not by a wyotech reject that graduated just because the school had no choice but it allow him.....and with being said forgot to screw the oil drain plug in all the way. That the type of service you get from the other place that are quick. don't mean to offend anyone just my experience.
Not sure how your setup is there but around here you never see the service techs working on your vehicle. You have no idea if they are seasoned techs or young kids. Am going to guess they have the newest guys performing the oil changes and tire rotations.
Old 08-21-12 | 06:21 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Not sure how your setup is there but around here you never see the service techs working on your vehicle. You have no idea if they are seasoned techs or young kids. Am going to guess they have the newest guys performing the oil changes and tire rotations.
I agree, RX330inFL, I saw some very young looking guys acting immaturely in the service bay while I was walking by to the parts department. I'm not sure that those are the seasoned top-notch mechanics doing our oil changes and tire rotations.
I consider myself a "lexus-certified mechanic" too now since I'm able to do my own oil changes, filter changes, tire rotations, fluid changes, bakes and strut installation. At least I know when I do it, I do it right and with top-quality materials and according to the factory specifications (including torque on lugs nuts and bolts).
I have to admit though that when I did my transfer case fluid change, I couldn't loosen the drain bolt, so had the Lexus service do it. I brought my own gear oil and crush nuts, so they charged me for labor only - $52. Not bad, I'd say. I did enjoy my stay at the new Lexus facility (just opened 1 month ago!)
my 2 cents
Old 08-22-12 | 01:11 PM
alchemist
Instructor

I am going to agree and disagree with you here, LEXRX04. First, I agree with you general overall statement. Too many individuals purchase an expensive vehicle and then cheap out on its care. I remember with the Acura NSX came out and then shortly afterwards owners were complaining the tires were wearing out at 10K miles. Well duh, it is an exotic sports car. They took no time to truly understand what they had purchased.

Where I will disagree with you is that not all Lexus dealerships offer Lexus quality service. Why should we pay the Lexus price if we are not getting that level of service? This is even more evident when local independent and/or Toyota shops have stepped up their services and facilities in such a manner that they would be indistinguishable from the Lexus experience. Take one local Toyota shop in my area. They have a nearly new facility. Waiting room has free Wi-Fi Internet, a very large screen TV, comfortable seating, free bottled water, etc. If you do not want to hang around they offer a shuttle service to the local mall or even the nearby resort and golf course. If I were to take my RX to the nearest Lexus dealership and the service is not eligible for a loaner trying to get a lift to a nearby office or some other nearby location is like trying to pull teeth.

So, it is not just a matter of how much you pay for your service. It has to do with what you get for that dollar and how you are treated. I would gladly pay more for quality service from Lexus. I just do not get it in my area. Do not know how the Ford folks do locally, however, I do know there are better dealerships than the local Lexus shops.

I agree here but would also like to add that while I can afford the car as well as expensive oil changes I CHOOSE not to get it done by someone else even at Lexus because the level of service varies. I guarantee there isn't one technician at our local dealer that will do as thorough and clean a job as I would when changing the oil in our car. No one is going to care as much about your car as you do. Period. I use the best filter and oil and the cost savings is just a bonus.
Old 08-22-12 | 01:54 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Here is a question for the group... Can you call your Lexus dealership, ask to speak to someone in service regarding a question you have regarding your vehicle, and not be put on hold for more than 15 minutes (without the receptionist coming on several times to put you back on hold) or sent directly to a voice mailbox? And, if sent to voicemail, how soon after you leave a message will someone give you a call back? I found it not unusual if I called and left a message in the morning not to get a call back that day if at all.
Well I have been to the dealership for a number of years and know majority of the service advisers as well as the service manager in charge so depending on the time of the day I can get hold of someone in service within 15 mins, at other times I will have to wait just like everybody.
Old 08-24-12 | 09:22 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

C$91 + HST = C$103 for oil change in my local Lexus dealer. Includes a loaner, vacuum, and exterior wash.

Like someone here said, this is probably the only really good deal in Lexus.

Since I don't like rushing in the morning, I drop off my car the night before the appointment and pick it up on the way home the next day.

Of course, I think the service for this car is a just a tad better ..."never have to set foot in our service center. Ever."