RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx330 - How to remove floor carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 08:16 AM
stevenmoua
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rx330 - How to remove floor carpet?

How do you remove the floor carpet on the Rx330? I'm planning to put some sound deadening material underneath the carpet.

Thanks
Old 08-28-12, 07:42 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

With some time and patience. I removed my car carpet due to a water leak I had and I wanted to dry the carpet properly. The following is what I can remember from when I did it. If you have any questions I will try and answer them. Sorry I don't have pictures.

As normal, you do this at your own risk and I nor anyone else can be held responsible for any damage or injury sustained to yourself, your vehicle or anything/anybody else.

1) Next is to remove the following the door sill plates (the ones that read Lexus when you open the door). These just require a tug up to dislodge them from the clips that they sit on for the rubber around the doors. Be careful pulling them up as they are connected to a wire to light the door up.
2) Once these are removed, remove the door seals by simply just pulling them free.
3) Next up, loosen and unbolt the front and passenger seat bolts. Move the seat backward to access the front bolts. Remove the plastic caps over the front bolts and loosen and remove. Move the seat forward to access the rear bolts, remove the plastic caps and loosen and remove the bolts.
4) Open the bonnet, and disconnect the negative cable on your battery.
5) Tilt the front seats backwards (effectively so they are leaning on the rear part of the seat rail). In other words, tip the seat backwards. Once done, each seat will have 3 plugs (1 is for the power, 1 is for the memory and 1 is for the airbag) that need to be removed. These are all just clipped in, so depress the small "lever" and pull out (gently) from the plug.
6) Remove the headrest from the top of the seats. This can be done by depressing the little plug at the point where the metal posts of the headrest and seat meet.
7) Gently lift the front seats out of the car. The passenger one should be fairly easy. The driver one can be a problem because of the steering wheel. This can be left until later (as I will describe later on). I just adjusted the seat before the battery was disconnected, so it was angled to come out. (Make sure you don't scratch your paint as the rails are sharp!).
8) Once the front passenger seat at least is out, remove the back seats.
9) On the base of the back seats (towards the front of the car) are 4 bolts. Loosen and remove those. You will need to remove the plastic clips first.
10) Move the back seats forward, by using the adjustment lever.
11) Get into the boot of your car and if you want remove the cargo cover to make life easier.
12) Remove the bolts that sit at the back of the seats (need a slightly longer ratchet to reach it). Loosen and unbolt.
13) Once all bolts are removed, fold the split-fold seats until they catch (i.e. use the level on the corners of the back of the rear seats to fold the seat). This compacts the seat so you can remove it.
14) Obviously this will be 2 pieces, the 40 split of the seat and the 60 split.
15) Pull these out of the car carefully (make sure you don't scratch your paint as the rails are sharp!).
16) In the passenger footwell, remove the black panel that lies horizontal with the car. This is where the courtesy light is attached to. This should just pop off with some persuasion.
17) Open & empty your glove box and turn the black screws that stop the glove box from going all the way open. These should just be a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and then pull in towards the glove box.
18) Once those are removed, remove the interior trim piece on the passenger footwell. There will be a bolt for where the glovebox attaches to the metal frame of the car (just below the glove box line).
19) Unscrew the glove box (about 3 screws).
20) Pull the glovebox out gently. It will require a bit of a tug to get out.
21) Remove the panel that extends from the gear selector surround (near the floor).
22) Do something very similar for the driver's side, however there is no additional bolt to be removed like the glove box one.
23) On the driver's side however, unclip the foot rest.
24) At this point, can just remember how to remove the gear selector surround.
25) You will need to remove the black trim around the gear selector, and then pop the wood trim around the gear selector off. Can't recall exactly how.
26) Once this wood piece has been removed, there will be 4 bolts underneath it that will allow it to be loosened so that you can move that whole bottom surround piece up to remove the carpet.
27) Remove the centre console. Use the lever and push it all the way back (to the back of the car). There are 2 panels either side that can be popped off. Once that is off, unscrew the bolts (3 each side) and also on the drivers side, unclip the spring for the level that normally allows you to move the centre console back and forth. Lift it up and disconnect the plug. Remove it from the car.
28) Unscrew the plastic floor piece that is underneath the centre console and lift up and out. Make sure to unplug the 12V charger at the front.
29) This one is an option, but between the front and rear doors, the cover behind the seatbelt can be detached to make moving the carpet under it out.
30) This should pretty much be it. Remove the carpet by folding it back and out of the car. Guide it around areas such as the gas and brake pedals.

Good luck. I do have a picture somewhere of what my car looked like without the carpet. Would be good to see some pics of the additional sound-deadening you are adding in and how this affected fuel use and most importantly noise in the car. Keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
MissTreesh (03-14-21)
Old 08-28-12, 07:48 AM
stevenmoua
Driver School Candidate

Oh gosh. How long did this take?
Old 08-28-12, 03:16 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone posted some pics a while ago that had everything removed, don't remember the subject or search words.
Thought he was redoing the amp system wiring. (?)
Old 08-28-12, 04:38 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cartman57
Someone posted some pics a while ago that had everything removed, don't remember the subject or search words.
Thought he was redoing the amp system wiring. (?)
I had also posted up a pic recently of everything removed.

Oh gosh. How long did this take?
Taking some time and care roughly 2-4 hours to pull everything out. When I did it, I was working mostly without a manual, but it's fairly simple if not time consuming to remove. It takes about the same amount of time to put everything back together again (possibly slightly longer).

It's not a difficult task to accomplish, but it's certainly not a 30 minute process. I managed to get the carpet out on a Saturday morning, have the carpet aired and dried during Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning (because of the water leak) and then installed into the car by late afternoon Sunday.
Old 08-28-12, 04:45 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Much of the interior noise can be reduced by sound proofing the trunk area. There are some postings on this forum with photos. One person used a fluffy white material that was not very effective. To do a proper job use something like Dyna-Mat.
Old 08-28-12, 04:51 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is the thread I mentioned above: "How to make your car quieter".

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-quieter.html
Old 08-29-12, 04:48 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Here are some pictures of what you would end up with. I do have some other pictures as well showing stuff around the gear shifter and some of the bolts on the seats.

Old 08-29-12, 06:45 AM
stevenmoua
Driver School Candidate

Yea, I added fatmat (sound deadening mat) to the trunk and to the front driver and passenger's door panel already. I just would like it a little bit more quieter, especially that road noise when driving on the highway. I also got new Comfortreads mounted last week, so that was a bit better too. I think adding the it to the floors would probably help.
Old 08-29-12, 04:04 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
I had also posted up a pic recently of everything removed.
You be the one! Couldn't find it though..............

Sounds more involved than it really is, did one in a Dakota 4 door a while ago that a friends kid opened a gallon of milk in the back seat while she was driving, smelled real good 3 days later