RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New (to me) 2008 - pulling among other problems - could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 04:37 PM
sureshoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) 2008 - pulling among other problems - could use some advice

About 2 weeks ago, I purchased a CPO 2008 RX 400h and while I like the car - it's not been a good experience. I live in Cincinnati, OH and bought it at Germain Lexus of Easton in Columbus (about 100 miles away).

Literally within an hour of driving off the lot, a "Check System" light started going off. Turns out it was only a tire sensor - but I had to schedule two different services to get it fixed at a Lexus River Center in the Cinci area.

On a semi-positive note, while driving a few hours in it, I noticed a really annoying high pitched rattle. It turned out to be a weather strip that the River Center people diagnosed and fixed (even though rattles generally aren't covered).

On a more negative note - the car pulls hard to the left when you're going 40+ mph. If you set the wheel to center, sometimes (not always), it will snap left by 1-3 degrees - it's noticeable. I want to make a video of it... but that's a tad dangerous. It doesn't do it on the right.

I didn't notice it in test drives and after spending time looking at it - River Center says they don't see anything broke and they said it drives straight on a flat road - which I am not sure what roads they drove on because I have done it on newly paved roads. Either way, the CPO warranty doesn't cover it. I could have them do an alignment test, but I would have to pay. So maybe shame on me for not having a more thorough inspection prior to purchase - I mistakenly trusted the CPO. Guess I should know better.

Also, the car has about 50,000 miles on it and prior to selling it as a CPO they put new tires on it. When I asked if they had information on it being aligned - they said there was no mention of alignment. I'm not a car guy - but I thought you always aligned a car after putting on tires. These tires are brand new Michelins, although I have not tracked down the specific model yet.

I did contact Easton's service department and they weren't particularly enthusiastic - said they could look at it. It's basically an entire day for me to go up there, so it's quite difficult with a family. Plus, if I go up there and get the run around, it's a waste.

I touched base with Tire Discounters to see what they would charge to check the alignment, and it's free. I was thinking about going there to get a quick check and make a further decision.

So anyway - I realize cars will follow the road to some extent, but I would like to believe I know the difference - the wheel visibly goes left. I had an IS300 for 8 years and never saw anything like this and I have been driving the same roads. If I'm crazy or sounds semi unreasonable, feel free to tell me.

But, I guess I'm looking for some guidance on how to proceed. I am assuming there is no real risk in going to Tire Discounters for the alignment check - but not sure if there is any point.

Thoughts
Old 09-07-12, 05:07 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Used cars are normally sold "as is" but as you got the CPO you have some coverage. However, it does not cover tires nor alignments. So, unless the seller is willing to recheck everything you may be forced to do this on your own.

Get the alignment checked. That way at least you will know if that is the problem or not. Who knows how your RX was driven by the previous owner. They may have hit a curb. If OK, then you will want to have the tires rebalanced and rotated to see if the problem is there or if it goes away. Check that all the tires are the same and that they did not replace three and slipped the older spare in the mix. Also, have them check the condition of your spare tire while they are at it. Recheck all tire pressures as well. Is the steering wheel centered in alignment when you are going straight down the road or is it off to the side a bit?

If your RX was going to drift due to the road surface it is more likely to drift to the right as the high point is usually in the center sloping away from the median to allow water to run that direction towards the drainage. It will not run uphill.

You may spend a few dollars doing all this, however, you will at least know the condition your vehicle is in and will not have to take the word of the dealership.
Old 09-07-12, 08:28 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First Congrats on your vehicle.

I would get an alignment done at a reputable place, and you mentioned a place that would do it for free? So why not. Get a list of what they find and hopefully you can put that CPO to work for you. That old saying about an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure applies to vehicles also.

I've been told that some people will buy new tires to hide problems the vehicle is having. Alignment is one of those things that affect other areas of the vehicle, it's best to check it before you have to start replacing stuff.

If you want to video tape the alignment issue while driving, why don't you have a 2nd person go along with you to sit in the rear seat and record you while you drive?
Old 09-08-12, 05:40 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Alignment

You have a couple of Lexus dealers in your your area of Ohio.

If your not getting good service at the place you bought yours. I would take it to another.

This time dont bring a video. Ask to have one of the technicians drive the car while you ride along. This is what I did on mine. When I had a issue with the brakes.
Old 09-08-12, 07:56 PM
sureshoe
Driver School Candidate

As a quick update - I took it to Tire Discounters for a check. The car was slightly out of line (toward the right, which surprised me a bit). The tech also said one of the tires had a radial pull, but they don't generally consider that a defect ... not sure I completely understand. Anyway, for $90 they tweaked the alignment and rotated the suspect tire to the back (which is cheaper than driving to Columbus for me). The problem is gone.

I'm googling radial pull now... but it is a little surprising. Of course the problem will come back when the tire is rotated back up. Thanks guys for the suggestions - any other feedback would be welcomed.
Old 09-08-12, 08:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sureshoe
As a quick update - I took it to Tire Discounters for a check. The car was slightly out of line (toward the right, which surprised me a bit). The tech also said one of the tires had a radial pull, but they don't generally consider that a defect ... not sure I completely understand. Anyway, for $90 they tweaked the alignment and rotated the suspect tire to the back (which is cheaper than driving to Columbus for me). The problem is gone.

I'm googling radial pull now... but it is a little surprising. Of course the problem will come back when the tire is rotated back up. Thanks guys for the suggestions - any other feedback would be welcomed.
When the tires are rotated next time the ones on the back being moved to the front should be crossed to the other side. This helps in situations such as yours.
Old 09-10-12, 03:14 PM
Paul1307
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some new tires are only supposed to rotate in one direction, so beware when rotating! On the radial pull - many years ago, owned a Alfa that I put Pirelli's on. When going over one particular bridge that was a metal grid rather than being paved, it would pull and wander all over the place. Went back to the tire store and they replaced the tire for free. Problem gone! As to exactly what "Radial Pull" is exactly, I have no idea. So you might see if the dealer can get the tire replaced for you before you rotate it back up front again in 5,000 miles.
Old 09-12-12, 01:09 PM
Jumper73
Rookie

Radial pull is basically a manufacturer defect on new tire.

Very well explained article here: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/plug..._articleid=181

You would definitely want to bring this back to whoever purchased the new tires for you (I'm assuming original dealer) and ask for replacement. This is not something that's going to go away on it's own, although you'd feel less effect when the problem tire is placed in the back. Once it's rotated back up to front, you'll have this problem again.

Good luck.

p.s. If you have been riding on this new tire for a while, it might not be honored. I would get this to attention of dealer ASAP, unless you plan to replace the tire yourself in the future.
Old 09-12-12, 08:28 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not a car guy - but I thought you always aligned a car after putting on tires.
It's best practice but not everyone does. As you found out, you can't just assume that it was done. If in doubt, get the alignment checked. Don't assume that you have to use the dealer. Our dealer was actually trying to push an unnecessary alignment last time we went in for an oil change.
Old 09-13-12, 01:22 PM
Jumper73
Rookie

^I'd agree but just add, most shops would not do alignment but would "recommend" that you do. To be honest, unless these conditions are true you don't NEED to get an alignment for new tires:

- had irregular wear (inner/outer) on 1 or more tires.
- 4 tires have uneven wear (some more worn than others)
- haven't done alignment in a while (1+ years).

Now for the price(~$100), most people for peace of mind would get an alignment done if you were paying for the tires.

However if dealer replaced the tires to comply with CPO, they most likely would not have done the alignment (and probably would not do it EVEN IF they should've done it because of above conditions).

Again, if you have radial pull on new tire, it really doesn't matter if alignment was done or not by the dealer as it's a tire manufacturer defect which has nothing to do with alignment.
Old 09-14-12, 08:59 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

About 2 weeks ago, I purchased a CPO 2008 RX 400h and while I like the car - it's not been a good experience.
I too purchased a CPO 2008 RX 350 this past July, didnt have a good experience as well so were in the same boat

Literally within an hour of driving off the lot, a "Check System" light started going off. Turns out it was only a tire sensor - but I had to schedule two different services to get it fixed at a Lexus River Center in the Cinci area.
Can understand that, booking different services to get it fixed, but should of been fixed the FIRST time

On a more negative note - the car pulls hard to the left when you're going 40+ mph. If you set the wheel to center, sometimes (not always), it will snap left by 1-3 degrees - it's noticeable. I want to make a video of it... but that's a tad dangerous. It doesn't do it on the right.
Car pulling, there is a TSIB SU001-08 VEHICLE PULLING TO ONE SIDE on this issue about the alignment of the RX. Heres the link http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/...dPdf?id=140760 revised L-SB-0174-08

I didn't notice it in test drives and after spending time looking at it - River Center says they don't see anything broke and they said it drives straight on a flat road
that is bull. I understand there is a crown on the road, but River Center is giving you the run around

Either way, the CPO warranty doesn't cover it. I could have them do an alignment test, but I would have to pay. So maybe shame on me for not having a more thorough inspection prior to purchase - I mistakenly trusted the CPO. Guess I should know better.
Yes, CPO should cover it, they (Germain Lexus of Easton) performed a 160+ inspection so buying CPO is as good as buying a brand new car to them, this is what i've been told, so they are giving you falsified information. I was told within 30 days of purchasing the CPO car, if you find something wrong, they will fix it, free of charge.

Also, the car has about 50,000 miles on it and prior to selling it as a CPO they put new tires on it. When I asked if they had information on it being aligned - they said there was no mention of alignment. I'm not a car guy - but I thought you always aligned a car after putting on tires.
not necessarily. They should had balance the rim/tires and rotated them, that is the first thing they should of done. if you"re stilling having problems, an alignment is reccomended, but indeed there is a TSB on pulling hard.

I did contact Easton's service department and they weren't particularly enthusiastic - said they could look at it. It's basically an entire day for me to go up there, so it's quite difficult with a family. Plus, if I go up there and get the run around, it's a waste.
They should have been estatic to perform any fixes, since you just bought the car from them. Lexus service competent...? Some people just do not understand that taking days off just to bring this into attention, is an inconvienence. There are owners who completely have no problems on their lexus's and then, theres us who have problems. There motto is "pursuit to perfection" right? You can contact lexus CORPORATE to report their practices to them if they are not performing to lexus's standards. If you did pay for the alignment at another place, save the reciept and contact corporate and hopefully the easton dealership can pay for it in full or meet you in the middle. There SHOULD be some compensation for you and your family to go through this mess. You pratically just bought the car...

If I'm crazy or sounds semi unreasonable, feel free to tell me.
You are not crazy and i will give you affirmation that it is your right to stand firm and tell them to fix these problem(s) without being charge! Since you do have the powertrain warrenty till 70k, just be very adament if you have any future issues occur or you can go to another Lexus dealer that can better service you as oppose to the stealership which obviously lacks customer service satifsfaction. You know Germain Lexus of Easton should had fix the problems,but that is not the case b/c they are far from your right?? It may be difficult for another Lexus dealer to fix the problems in which they didnt sell the car the car to you. You can also search here on the forum on the past issues on our 2nd gen RX's and hopefully this can help you quite a bit. Any other issues, let us know, we're glad to help. Personally, IMO had to fight nail and tooth with my stealership, so you're not alone. Contact corporate, they should know if they are not operating like they should be. Its not a Honda (nothing against them :-)), this is Lexus, they have to uphold to their quality.

Last edited by StLucchese; 09-15-12 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-17-12, 09:22 AM
Paul1307
Driver School Candidate

I've posted this before: talk to the mechanic working on your vehicle. Neither they nor the service writer "is" the dealership or the dealer. Ask what the problem is; explain the problem to the mechanic. Show interest, not hostility; they just work there, they are not the person to get into a pee-ing contest with. If they don't show interest in their job ask for another mechanic to work on the vehicle. But communicate. I can't begin to tell you how many mechanics have gone out of their way to do a good, thorough job, or save me money on work that was optional but which they advised me not get done. It's all between you and the mechanic to sort out; everyone else is a distraction in the process. See it that way and see if it doesn't help. I've even had the head of the service department take a 45-minute drive around more than once when trying to duplicate a problem. Communicate with your mechanic in the same way you'd like someone to communicate with you in your job.