RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Wheel Bearing Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 06:19 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing Failure?

About two years ago when my 07 RX350 had 30k miles, I had a passenger rear tire pick up a screw off the street. I never noticed the tire pressure warning light and totally smoked the tire. Pulling over to the side, that tire rim could cook steaks. Ever since then I have had a droning noise from the rear of the vehicle. It has become much worse lately but only noticeable at speeds above 70mph and what is really strange is that if you let up of the throttle and noise disappears. Could this still be a failing wheel bearing? Of course my power train warranty has now expired. I complained to Lexus over a year ago but they said "couldn't duplicate the problem". (standard answer it appears). If I need to replace the wheel bearing should I do both of the rear ones or just the passenger rear?
Old 09-08-12, 06:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
About two years ago when my 07 RX350 had 30k miles, I had a passenger rear tire pick up a screw off the street. I never noticed the tire pressure warning light and totally smoked the tire. Pulling over to the side, that tire rim could cook steaks. Ever since then I have had a droning noise from the rear of the vehicle. It has become much worse lately but only noticeable at speeds above 70mph and what is really strange is that if you let up of the throttle and noise disappears. Could this still be a failing wheel bearing? Of course my power train warranty has now expired. I complained to Lexus over a year ago but they said "couldn't duplicate the problem". (standard answer it appears). If I need to replace the wheel bearing should I do both of the rear ones or just the passenger rear?
Regarding the source of the noise, very subjective. I would check tires first, rotating and crossing tires per a normal rotation to see if the problem goes away. Easy and cheap test. Personally, I have never had a wheel bearing issue where it was only noticeable at those speeds. Usually, was noticeable at much lower speeds.

I was always taught to replace these in pairs. Granted, I am an old-timer compared to many here. I grew up packing wheel bearings and rebuilding carburetors on the kitchen table as a kid.

Is your RX AWD? The rear wheel bearings on the AWD RX editions seems to be a weak spot. Usually when someone is complaining or asking here about wheel bearings that is the combination. So, while you are doing one you might as well do both.

For the rear, you would be purchasing new hub assemblies. Timken is a good brand if you are not going to purchase a Toyota/Lexus product.
Old 09-08-12, 08:14 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Regarding the source of the noise, very subjective. I would check tires first, rotating and crossing tires per a normal rotation to see if the problem goes away. Easy and cheap test. Personally, I have never had a wheel bearing issue where it was only noticeable at those speeds. Usually, was noticeable at much lower speeds.

I was always taught to replace these in pairs. Granted, I am an old-timer compared to many here. I grew up packing wheel bearings and rebuilding carburetors on the kitchen table as a kid.

Is your RX AWD? The rear wheel bearings on the AWD RX editions seems to be a weak spot. Usually when someone is complaining or asking here about wheel bearings that is the combination. So, while you are doing one you might as well do both.

For the rear, you would be purchasing new hub assemblies. Timken is a good brand if you are not going to purchase a Toyota/Lexus product.
This is a FWD model. This tire failure happened with the OEM Goodyear's at 29k. I replaced them with four Michelin MXV4. Present mileage is 59k and I rotate the tires every 5k. This symptom of letting off the gas and the noise goes away really is strange. I hope someone can give me a clue on that. BTW, your not the only old timer on this forum, One of my biggest regrets was selling my Ford Mustang that I bought new in 1965. People could actually work on their own cars back then.
Old 09-08-12, 08:44 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
This is a FWD model. This tire failure happened with the OEM Goodyear's at 29k. I replaced them with four Michelin MXV4. Present mileage is 59k and I rotate the tires every 5k. This symptom of letting off the gas and the noise goes away really is strange. I hope someone can give me a clue on that. BTW, your not the only old timer on this forum, One of my biggest regrets was selling my Ford Mustang that I bought new in 1965. People could actually work on their own cars back then.
Sounds more like a possible gear whine from the transmission. However, that is very much a guess. Trying to pinpoint the location of the noise is going to be tough. For now, give it some time and see how it goes as the weather starts to cool.
Old 09-09-12, 08:12 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wheel bearings would be a constant drone.
Old 09-09-12, 09:05 AM
lexusfan05
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you take off your feet while cruising at 70mph and the noise disappears, then it is more likely to be engine related. The wheels are still running, and the engine/transmission is still engaged, the only thing that is missing is the fuel supply to the engine. Have you tried revving up the engine while in park? It may be just a leak in the exhaust pipe that is getting worse over time. Another possibility is that the fuel pump is having trouble at high speed, which also lives in the rear portion of the car.