RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX 350 - Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 07:48 PM
StkMkt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RX 350 - Starting Problem

Three months back I purchased a 2008 RX 350 with around 32K miles. Everything was perfect and I was pleased with the car. Since I have to take an international trip, my car was kept idle for nearly 1 month. Yesterday when I started the SUV it cranks up and it doesn't start.

When it is in "ON", the dashboard lights are on, audio system is working, power windows are working.

Will it be a serious problem? Is the battery running out of charge? Has anyone else had this problem?

Please Help!
Old 09-19-12, 06:18 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

We would need more information to be of some help.
You say: "Yesterday when I started the SUV it cranks up and it doesn't start."
This is confusing. You say both that "I started the SUV" and "it doesn't start." If we take that to read that you tried unsuccessfully to start the RX, then the "cranking" information needs more detail. "Cranks up" is not a term I am familiar with. DId the engine turn over with the assistance of the starter motor and fail to start? That is cranking the engine. This shows that the battery and the starter are fine, and the problem is with the fuel or ignition system. If, upon turning the key to "start" you heard a clicking noise, that shows that the battery has some juice, but not enough to do the heavy job of turning over the engine. The dash lights would be working in this situation. Also, a full battery will allow the engine to start and the lights will not dim during the starting process. A weaker battery may still start the engine but if the lights dim during starting, the battery is weak and needs attention.
Your questions: "Will it be a serious problem?" - Serious is relative. You won't need a tow, probably only a jump, and maybe a new battery. I don't think that qualifies as serious.
"Is the battery running out of charge?" - Probably, but it's hard to tell from the vague information provided. A well charged healthy battery should allow a car to start after being idle for a month. Given the age of the car, it probably still has the original battery, and three to four years is a nice, long battery life. Seriously look into replacing it.
"Has anyone else had this problem?" - Yes. Lots.
Old 09-19-12, 11:48 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

probably the batery...have you tried jump start the car?
Old 09-19-12, 09:17 PM
StkMkt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
We would need more information to be of some help..
Thanks a lot for the details. Appreciate it.

Sorry about the vague information. I tried to start the vehicle, but unfortunately it makes some noise and it doesn't start. When I turn the key to start it makes some noise and the dashboard icons/lights dims.

Yes, it still has the original Lexus battery. Let me jump start to see if it works.
Old 09-20-12, 05:56 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

Jumping a battery that old might (and in this case probably will) get the engine started, and if you let it run long enough it might hold a charge long enough to start the car again tomorrow, but the days of that battery are numbered. If the jump start works, I would drive directly to a dealer, a Toyota shop, an Auto Zone or Pep Boys, etc and get a new battery. It's time for that, and what you want to eliminate more than non-starts is worrying about non-starts every day. Get this done now.
Do a search on this forum for battery ideas regarding replacements, although you will get too much information. For most of us, a properly sized battery will do just fine -- your dealer and any good parts store will have the info to match up their inventory to the specs of the original equipment. What you need to do is get the minimum specs and be sure that your replacement meets or exceeds those specs. A store trying to sell you something less is just saying it does not have the proper one in stock.
Happy motoring, and I hope that your expression "some noise" means that you can hear the solenoid pushing the starter motor gear into engaging but not having enough juice to turn the engine over. Generally this is perceived as a clicking noise.
Good luck.
Old 09-20-12, 08:39 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Many Lexus owners look at the OEM battery and think it's a maintenance free one. It is not. Pry up the two covers and add distilled water if needed before charging it.
Old 09-20-12, 02:55 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Many Lexus owners look at the OEM battery and think it's a maintenance free one. It is not. Pry up the two covers and add distilled water if needed before charging it.
Agreed -- it was not a sealed unit. What bugged me was that when my battery went bad and was inspected by myself, several of the cells were bone dry. So, it was more than likely never inspected by the dealership when I was taking my RX to them for its routine maintenance. Needless to say, was a bit put-out and reinforced the notion that I could not rely on the local dealership to properly look after my vehicle for the dollars I was spending.
Old 09-21-12, 11:19 AM
StkMkt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
Jumping a battery that old might (and in this case probably will) get the engine started, and if you let it run long enough it might hold a charge long enough to start the car again tomorrow, but the days of that battery are numbered. If the jump start works, I would drive directly to a dealer, a Toyota shop, an Auto Zone or Pep Boys, etc and get a new battery. It's time for that, and what you want to eliminate more than non-starts is worrying about non-starts every day. Get this done now.
Good luck.

Thank You all.

I did jump start and it works now. Planning to get the battery inspected/replaced from Auto shop this weekend.