RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Sunglasses Holder - source for parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 03:08 PM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can you go to a u pick junk yard?
google lkq
Old 02-09-18, 03:24 PM
charvak
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edwardh11
can you go to a u pick junk yard?
google lkq
Excellent question. This is one of those situations where replacing a part with OEM is a bad idea because it's a design flaw and you'll keep running into the same issue. I manage a fleet of 5+ cars and always use the best parts, try to maintain them as well as possible. I use OEM parts when they're superior. Had a rear quarter window crack recently due to something hitting it. Got OEM glass, clips, rubber molding, and even the ULEV sticker to go on it. But when I read that Honda idler pulleys keep failing, I bought an SKF pulley to see if it's made better. So yeah, you can go pull a new sunglass holder from the junk yard and it'll be just as weak as everyone else's. Or you can rebuild it with the stiffer spring and never worry about it again.
Old 02-14-18, 08:17 PM
white430s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunglasses Holder Door/Replace or Tug

I now automatically tug the catch button down into the 'ready to lock' position as soon as I open the door. It has been working fine for me for a year or so but not making it right is not part of my dna. I tried a little lube but that is not the problem. If I take the time to remove the component I may be able to come up with a good fix. However, while surfing ebay for a new headlight assembly ( buffing no longer satisfies me) I found a replacement from a 70k mile car for $60. Done. Well, until that one does the same thing. I will spend a little time on it in the interum and figure out a fix and post it. Chris
Old 02-23-18, 05:13 PM
monch
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue and resolved by stretching the original spring. Disassembled the whole lock mechanism and saw the spring obviously shrunk due to the age so could not properly push the lock mechanism out. Stretch enough to make it 1-2mm longer in resting position, and issue solved. Spent 20mins, 0 dollar fix, works for >6months. Agree that after some time it may fail again, but if originally it served 14 years I don't expect next failure to appear anytime soon. So far so good!
Old 02-26-18, 07:26 AM
white430s
Driver School Candidate

Default I found one on Ebay

I found one on eBay for $60. He parted out an 80k miIe LS. I origainally bought a passenger side headlight from him and realized I should have bought both when the much nicer than mine arrived. The driver side was sold before I could get it but I did buy the grill for $140 and he sold me the overhead module with sunglasses cubby for $60.
I will replace and experiment on my old one to find a good fix. Off the top of my head, just reversing the spring that opens the cubby to have it keep it closed would be better than obscuring the rear view mirror. My thought would be to use your finger nail to start it open and finger hold against the slight pressure of the spring to extract or store you glasses.

Originally Posted by daepp
The catch that holds my sunglasses holder closed has gone belly up. Any idea where to find used parts. The dealer want $1,000 for a new upper console - ouch!
Old 03-12-18, 07:57 AM
Bill C
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Please give me the Grainger part #, I tried to remove the entire upper compartment when I bought the 2007 in Sept 2009. Now with 158K miles, it's still the finest car I have ever driven and owned. I would love to fix the sunglass holder! Also do you just use hard plastic/nylon trim tools after removing the exposed screws to pry the whole compartment down. Any tricks I should know before I try again?
The first time I tried to remove it was to direct wire a Valentine V1 radar detector ( another very fine product) and just tucked the cable around the windshield frame. I am a retired EE, and have been working on cars for 66 years.Thank You
Old 03-12-18, 09:26 AM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

BILL: I don't have my RX any more, but I took that part off several times. My recollection is that the assembly is held in place by the two screws you mention, and by two spring clips on the sides of the assembly; I used nylon pry tools to help pull this piece down, although I guess you could do it by hand. Using the tools, push in on the sides rather than the front or back, and it should drop right into your hands. Unsnap the wire harness, and you are ready to go. (As I recall.)
(I put my V1 wiring into the car the same way you did, for a very nice and neat installation.)
Old 03-14-18, 10:10 AM
charvak
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill C
Please give me the Grainger part #, I tried to remove the entire upper compartment when I bought the 2007 in Sept 2009. Now with 158K miles, it's still the finest car I have ever driven and owned. I would love to fix the sunglass holder! Also do you just use hard plastic/nylon trim tools after removing the exposed screws to pry the whole compartment down. Any tricks I should know before I try again?
The first time I tried to remove it was to direct wire a Valentine V1 radar detector ( another very fine product) and just tucked the cable around the windshield frame. I am a retired EE, and have been working on cars for 66 years.Thank You
I use this spring: 1NCH3 https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...s-Spring-1NCH3
Old 08-28-22, 07:55 AM
broken470
1st Gear

Default Broken latch

Hi - I removed the map lamp assembly and found that the little plastic housing that holds the latch is broken. Is this part something I can order without buying a whole new assembly?

The black plastic piece is broken

The black plastic piece is broken.
Old 08-28-22, 08:48 AM
tfischer

I doubt it, but the parts dept at the dealership will be able to answer that question. I had trouble with mine, as well, and I think I fabricated some kind of a fix. The subsequent Lexus models I have owned since then do not have this holder, and I miss the convenience.
The following users liked this post:
broken470 (08-28-22)
Old 12-05-22, 06:19 AM
BOFF
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by broken470
Hi - I removed the map lamp assembly and found that the little plastic housing that holds the latch is broken. Is this part something I can order without buying a whole new assembly?

I'm not sure how a 3D printer works.
Any way of 3D Printing the replacement part?

God Bless,
David B.
Old 02-19-23, 01:56 PM
ERW
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daepp
The catch that holds my sunglasses holder closed has gone belly up. Any idea where to find used parts. The dealer want $1,000 for a new upper console - ouch!
how were you able to remove it and were you able to fix it? Same issue with a 2009 GX470.
Old 02-21-23, 03:57 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 251 Posts

I had that problem on my 07 and was able to resolve it by taking apart the latch and freeing it up with silicone. That was like 3 or so years ago. In my case the spring was OK.

I remember a thread where the op had a broken spring and located a spring to replace it Of course it was not through Lexus.
Old 08-27-23, 11:44 AM
ERW
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Inquiry

Originally Posted by broken470

How were you able to take that off? I think one just needs a spring as I can pull it down manually to lock it.
Old 08-27-23, 04:38 PM
tfischer

I had that problem on my RX many years ago, I took it apart and could not fix it. Upon inquiry, the Lexus folks informed me that I could purchase a replacement unit for the whole thing, but nothing else. The cost was far in excess of the utility value of the locking mechanism. I spent the next few years putting my sunglasses in there, and manually setting the latch. I thought nothing of it. I probably could have fabricated a fix, but it was not worth my time.
I got things to do.
The following users liked this post:
ERW (08-27-23)