RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 12-16-14, 12:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

Vibration in Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 10:11 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SBill
I have also experienced this vibration issue on my 2007 RX 350. It only occurs on the highway and it seems to be pretty random. Usually you can feel the steering wheel start to tighten and then it starts to gently vibrate and gets stronger the longer you drive until you have to pull over (I have captured it on video several times).

I took the car to two different dealers on multiple occasions (Westminster) and (Pleasanton) and was told to have the tires balanced, then check the rims, then get new tires, etc. I spent $1,200 on new Michelins which have been balanced at two separate shops, most recently Big O tires. But the problem persist.

This is very annoying and sometimes outright frightening, especially for my wife who shuttles two small kids around in this vehicle. It is especially disconcerting in that it only occurs at highway speeds. We travel between LA and SF often and it will be three or four hours into the trip before the shaking starts, we pull over, stop the car (but do not turn it off) and then merge back onto HWY 5 and it will be fine for the rest of the trip. Insane!

Another mechanic told me he thought it might be a defective ball bearing in the CV joint of the front axle, which means you need a new front axle. I mentioned this to the Lexus dealers but got no response. I am not inclined to spend another $1,500 on the vehicle unless I am sure that it will resolve the problem.

So my question to the forum is has anyone been able to fix the random vibration issue and if so what exactly did you do?
Look at my thread regarding vibration. If you have the same inconsistent, random, heavy vibration to which you have to pull off the road, then it is your Lower A Arm bushings. Have those checked asap. H Town Blue also did a write up on this - it was abbreviated. I plan to do a full DIY - I just haven't had the time to change them out yet.

When they go bad, they look like this. You can also see the oil from my power steering rack which has been leaking for 30k miles.

Last edited by alchemist; 08-05-13 at 06:41 AM.