RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 12:34 AM
SOB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience. I just joined "the club" to exercise my right to complain about Lexus/Toyota Corporation. I once thought they "walked on water" when it came to auto manufacturing and service.....NOT! I bought an 09 RX350, which just blew the lower oil line VVT-i and began the process of working my way through the Lexus Corporate "Complaint" Center. I was told, "I'm well within the mileage guidelines (100,000 mi. on mine) but that I was 3 months past the 10 year limit." Bull......! I asked for them to grant me a variance, putting a smiley face and kiss on the request.....Let's see, tomorrow, what happens? I will threaten to start a class action of all the folks "done wrong" by this oil line debacle that Lexus is trying to keep quiet. Not sure if my engine was "totaled," but worried about the lasting effects of running almost 5 quarts low. And not one Idiot light came on as the oil level sank!! Please restore the days of gauges, where we can read our own warning signs!!!
Old 08-06-19, 02:30 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by SOB
Sorry to hear about your experience. I just joined "the club" to exercise my right to complain about Lexus/Toyota Corporation. I once thought they "walked on water" when it came to auto manufacturing and service.....NOT! I bought an 09 RX350, which just blew the lower oil line VVT-i and began the process of working my way through the Lexus Corporate "Complaint" Center. I was told, "I'm well within the mileage guidelines (100,000 mi. on mine) but that I was 3 months past the 10 year limit." Bull......! I asked for them to grant me a variance, putting a smiley face and kiss on the request.....Let's see, tomorrow, what happens? I will threaten to start a class action of all the folks "done wrong" by this oil line debacle that Lexus is trying to keep quiet. Not sure if my engine was "totaled," but worried about the lasting effects of running almost 5 quarts low. And not one Idiot light came on as the oil level sank!! Please restore the days of gauges, where we can read our own warning signs!!!
Your not serious right its a 10 year old car there not going to cover anything and they shouldn't have to you bought a used car and it broke thats what happens with old cars they brake and need to be fixed.
The following users liked this post:
tawm (08-16-19)
Old 08-06-19, 06:00 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Your not serious right its a 10 year old car there not going to cover anything and they shouldn't have to you bought a used car and it broke thats what happens with old cars they brake and need to be fixed.
it should be a recall tho
Old 03-28-20, 05:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Well, working from home has given me much more time to do car stuff. We originally planned to trade the 2008 RX350 in, but after detailing it, polishing out the headlights, changing the brakes all around, putting on new tires, and changing the cam sensor, the car looks and drives as good as it did when we took it off the lot in late 2007.

That being said, the oil cooler hose is the original rubber and metal hose. The VVTI line was recalled early on, but the cooler line is original. It is not leaking/weeping, but paranoia has gotten the better of me, spending too much time on here I suppose, so I ordered a new one.

Total Cost:
Parts: $72 (oem)
Labor: $120
Etc.: $65 synthetic oil change.

It is a 2008 with the tow package and 160k miles.
Margate330 (03-28-20)
Old 03-28-20, 10:34 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by RXGS
Well, working from home has given me much more time to do car stuff. We originally planned to trade the 2008 RX350 in, but after detailing it, polishing out the headlights, changing the brakes all around, putting on new tires, and changing the cam sensor, the car looks and drives as good as it did when we took it off the lot in late 2007.

That being said, the oil cooler hose is the original rubber and metal hose. The VVTI line was recalled early on, but the cooler line is original. It is not leaking/weeping, but paranoia has gotten the better of me, spending too much time on here I suppose, so I ordered a new one.

Total Cost:

I can definately realate to that. lol
My biggest fear is a part failure on the highway 500 miles from home at Christmas time and leaves me stranded or worse yet nukes my engine. lol
Old 03-30-20, 06:14 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I can definately realate to that. lol
My biggest fear is a part failure on the highway 500 miles from home at Christmas time and leaves me stranded or worse yet nukes my engine. lol
You won't have the oil cooler or the rear bank vvt oil lines to deal w/ thou, being you have a 3mz motor.....
Margate330 (03-30-20)
Old 03-30-20, 09:50 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

True this and glad don't have to worry about it with the RX330 one less
ticking time bomb but I have 16yr old coolant lines to the heater
core that have me worried so I might have to special order.
Old 03-30-20, 04:30 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Margate330
True this and glad don't have to worry about it with the RX330 one less
ticking time bomb but I have 16yr old coolant lines to the heater
core that have me worried so I might have to special order.
Possibly checkout http://rockauto.com for those molded hoses & possibly have a couple spare vvt solenoids....
Old 04-03-20, 05:42 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Figured I’d include from the person who changed the part. Rubber was rock hard and seeping where the rubber lines went into the metal lines.
Old 04-05-20, 04:18 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Thats what I went w/ too. Picked up at work as well as the rear head vvt oil line, the morning of black Friday last November.....
Old 04-06-20, 10:51 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thread starter update

Look way back, I started this thread. As I described, I had my 07 RX towed to a Toyota dealer and they replaced the part. I was so upset that I vowed to get rid of the thing and buy a Range Rover (that's a joke, folks). Time passed and healed the wounds. I replaced the the complete suspension with new struts and the thing felt like new. Something older RXs need, its a heavy body on a Camry frame so you have to do it at some point. Expensive though.

Still in the family today and it has 310,000 km (almost 200,000 miles) and it's doing great. Indestructible engine, even after running with no oil for a short distance.
The following 2 users liked this post by truenorth:
BlackLexRX (04-06-20), RXGS (04-06-20)
Old 04-13-20, 08:44 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by truenorth
Look way back, I started this thread. As I described, I had my 07 RX towed to a Toyota dealer and they replaced the part. I was so upset that I vowed to get rid of the thing and buy a Range Rover (that's a joke, folks). Time passed and healed the wounds. I replaced the the complete suspension with new struts and the thing felt like new. Something older RXs need, its a heavy body on a Camry frame so you have to do it at some point. Expensive though.

Still in the family today and it has 310,000 km (almost 200,000 miles) and it's doing great. Indestructible engine, even after running with no oil for a short distance.
Thats great it didn't take the motor out....1st thing I had done as well as the bank 1 vvti line to steel....Thought the gen2's use the Hylander platform......
Old 04-14-20, 09:13 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Thats great it didn't take the motor out....1st thing I had done as well as the bank 1 vvti line to steel....Thought the gen2's use the Hylander platform......
Indeed!!! hes really lucky that running with no oil in fact didnt blow the engine and make it a useless paperweight. This makes me wonder if mine ever had this recall done. How can i check to see if that line ever has been switched out? I only ask because since my supposed temporary job loss and the fact that i was going to look into a different vehicle; the vehicle thing got dashed; and well so now I have to drive what I have which is better than having no vehicle at all.
Old 04-14-20, 03:27 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by matts6887
Indeed!!! hes really lucky that running with no oil in fact didnt blow the engine and make it a useless paperweight. This makes me wonder if mine ever had this recall done. How can i check to see if that line ever has been switched out? I only ask because since my supposed temporary job loss and the fact that i was going to look into a different vehicle; the vehicle thing got dashed; and well so now I have to drive what I have which is better than having no vehicle at all.
The recall that Lexus did at the time for the oil cooler hoses weren't steel, but rubber, similar to the oem ones. I bought the metal vvti/oil cooler lines as well as oil/filter the day we picked it up. If it was hoses were already swapped out before, I'd just return them, but they weren't as well as I had the p/s pump swapped out as well.
Old 04-14-20, 05:50 PM
Lexinerd
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXGS

Total Cost:

i agree with the paranoia. I changed mine too but at Toyota. Total bill $450. Mine is a 2009 pebble beach AWD with 115000

Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)