RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bluetooth additions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 01:17 PM
AVWagner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth additions

Hi All,
I just bought my wife a 2004 RX330 with navi. Wondering what you've found to be the best solution to iPhone integration (with bluetooth or without, but please specify) and have you had any trouble with them, either communication or connection?

Thanks

BTW I'm fairly handy and technologically savvy so lay it on me.
Old 02-26-13, 12:00 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

This will work for you. I have not used it but it is getting good reviews for the price.

http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1
Old 02-26-13, 04:03 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smassey321
This will work for you. I have not used it but it is getting good reviews for the price.

http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1
I'm been looking for something like this to install on my 2004 Rx330 for awhile now. This one looks like it's in the upscale range and it's about $120. In term of performance and functionality, how's this product different than the $50-$80 range options?

Additionally, I want to do this project myself this summer (!!! after so many years!!) instead of going to an installer. What's the avg cost for this type of installation? Curious to know how much I'm saving if I were to do it myself.
Old 03-02-13, 05:59 AM
esz61
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AVWagner
Hi All,
I just bought my wife a 2004 RX330 with navi. Wondering what you've found to be the best solution to iPhone integration (with bluetooth or without, but please specify) and have you had any trouble with them, either communication or connection?

Thanks

BTW I'm fairly handy and technologically savvy so lay it on me.
Last weekend I installed the GROM-USB2P in my 2004 RX 330 (no navigation). I bought the bluetooth kit with the unit and the total cost was about $210 (including tax, shipping, and a $10 coupon I found online). Installation can be done in an hour but my installation took 3 hours because I ran the iPhone cable to the center console storage compartment (which requires complete removal of the center console). The unit works really well but it does have a few little quirks (which I can live with). There are two videos on YouTube that you could check out: one that shows the simple installation in a 2006 RX330 (search GROM RX330 on YouTube) and the other that shows operation of the unit on a Toyota head unit including bluetooth and phone (search GROM Toyota demo).

Let me know if you have any specific questions or would like to know anything about my installation.

Last edited by esz61; 03-02-13 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-03-13, 05:41 AM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by esz61
Last weekend I installed the GROM-USB2P in my 2004 RX 330 (no navigation)...
Thanks for the response.

Few questions on the GROM:
- Volume control from the phone AND the dashboard?
- Can I control track directly via bluetooth on my dashboard unit or my steering wheel?
- Can I pick up the phone or hangup the phone using my dashboard? (The USA unit can do it via seek track, which is very useful)
- Can I pick up a phone call using the seek track buttons if the radio is OFF?
- Auto switch over from a different source on incoming call?
- Any drop? Disconnection of bluetooth?
- Any functionality worth pointing out that the USA don't have?

Sorry, I realized that's a lot of questions. I compared the price and they both are about the same on the Bay (-+$5) and I really want to get the one that give me the best functionality. Thanks in advance!

I couldn't find the GROM's intrusctions video on youtube. I compare the two unit using these 2 videos below.
Old 03-04-13, 08:07 AM
esz61
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaneEnch
Thanks for the response.

Few questions on the GROM:
1) Volume control from the phone AND the dashboard?
2) Can I control track directly via bluetooth on my dashboard unit or my steering wheel?
3) Can I pick up the phone or hangup the phone using my dashboard? (The USA unit can do it via seek track, which is very useful)
4) Can I pick up a phone call using the seek track buttons if the radio is OFF?
5) Auto switch over from a different source on incoming call?
6) Any drop? Disconnection of bluetooth?
7) Any functionality worth pointing out that the USA don't have?

Sorry, I realized that's a lot of questions. I compared the price and they both are about the same on the Bay (-+$5) and I really want to get the one that give me the best functionality. Thanks in advance!
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes. You can answer the phone using the next track button on steering wheel or dash and hang up the phone using previous track button on steering wheel or dash.
4) Yes. When the radio is off and you get a call, it automatically turns the radio on and allows you to answer the call as you would if the radio were previously on.
5) Yes. The unit switches over to the incoming phone call regardless of what source you are listening to.
6) None that I've experienced.
7) I am not aware of the functionality of the USA unit so I can't compare it to the GROM unit. However, the unit allows voice dialing by pressing the "scan" button on the radio. On my iPhone 4s doing this activates Siri.

Here is the link to the GROM demo video I mentioned in my previous post:

Good luck!
Old 03-15-13, 06:24 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

I just got the GROM install today, and want to share my quick feedback.

- Installation was not so bad (1 hour for me) except that the cable wired to the glove box doesn't fit well. The glove box were semi-jam close because the wire is on it's way. I also can't seem to be able to locate another location to put it because the cable were short and the glove box were basically the only option.
- No drop in Bluetooth connection and it's very clear. However, the volume are much lower than other play type (CD, Tape, Radio). Normally, 12-15 setting would be sufficient. With the GROM, I have to raise to 20-23. Same volume setting on my iphone as before.
- I just had one instance of the CD/GORM button went 'dead' as I turn on my car. It just won't response when I hit CD, Switch CD, Load, etc, it just refuse to buzz. Once I turn off and restart the car and the button came back. I'll check GROM's site to see if that's common and need any firmware update.
- There is no Dash screen information as shown in the videos above - none. I just have "CD 1, track 1, 00:00". Again, I'll check the GROM site to see if I missed a step, but base on the video, it's suppose to pick up automatically.
- Connecting the unit with the iphone the first time was quite a pain. I have to restart my car and my phone a few time in order for the unit to connect. The first time it linked, it just don't work for some reason, I have to do it over a few time to get it to work.

Other than those mention above, everything else seem to be working as esz61 mentioned. I noticed in the forum that there are few other folks looking into this over the last few days. Hope this is useful for some of you guys.
Old 03-17-13, 06:17 PM
esz61
Driver School Candidate

I just got the GROM install today, and want to share my quick feedback.

- Installation was not so bad (1 hour for me) except that the cable wired to the glove box doesn't fit well. The glove box were semi-jam close because the wire is on it's way. I also can't seem to be able to locate another location to put it because the cable were short and the glove box were basically the only option.
- No drop in Bluetooth connection and it's very clear. However, the volume are much lower than other play type (CD, Tape, Radio). Normally, 12-15 setting would be sufficient. With the GROM, I have to raise to 20-23. Same volume setting on my iphone as before.
- I just had one instance of the CD/GORM button went 'dead' as I turn on my car. It just won't response when I hit CD, Switch CD, Load, etc, it just refuse to buzz. Once I turn off and restart the car and the button came back. I'll check GROM's site to see if that's common and need any firmware update.
- There is no Dash screen information as shown in the videos above - none. I just have "CD 1, track 1, 00:00". Again, I'll check the GROM site to see if I missed a step, but base on the video, it's suppose to pick up automatically.
- Connecting the unit with the iphone the first time was quite a pain. I have to restart my car and my phone a few time in order for the unit to connect. The first time it linked, it just don't work for some reason, I have to do it over a few time to get it to work.

Other than those mention above, everything else seem to be working as esz61 mentioned. I noticed in the forum that there are few other folks looking into this over the last few days. Hope this is useful for some of you guys.
SaneEnch - Which Grom unit did you get, the USB2P or the IPD3? I initially got the USB2P because I wanted to be able to play music from a USB connection but the unit is just not performing the way that I expected so I am exchanging it for an IPD3.

Instead of the glove box, you can locate the Grom unit behind the center kick-panel in the passenger side foot well. The panel can be easily removed by taking out 2 plastic screw-type connectors. Once you have the kick panel out, you can route the wiring harness from the back of your radio to the Grom unit which you will locate behind the radio and near the floor (this is most easily done with the kick-panel and the radio out). This way the Grom unit is out of sight but accessible (by just removing the kick-panel) in the event that you need to update the firmware, change cords, etc. You can then just run the iPod cable up to the glovebox. As I mentioned earlier, I ran my iPod cable to my center console ... very convenient.

Regarding the display of text on your radio (I believe that is what you're referring to when you say dash screen information), the Grom can run your iPod in 2 modes. In "Simple" mode, you put your CD player on DISC 1 and your radio display will just say "IPOD" and no track information will be available. If you change to DISC 2, the Grom unit will be in "Advanced" mode and you will be able to see artist and song title when you press the text button. The "Simple" and "Advanced" modes are described in the Grom user manual.

One other cool feature that I have discovered is that when you have your iPhone plugged into the Grom and you are in advanced mode (DISC 2), when you press and hold the SCAN button on your radio it will activate the iPhone voice command function (or Siri if you have an iPhone 4s or 5). You can then use voice commands to play music, get directions, etc. without having to pick up and fumble with your phone.
Old 03-18-13, 03:50 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your info, I got the GROM-IPD3 with the bluetooth dongle. Having tried numerous other AUX/USB/FM option, I simply wouldn't do any of them because the extra cable and bad reception was such a pain. Bluetooth was basically my last option before I give up.

I like your idea of putting the unit behind the center kick-panel under the foot. But I really shouldn't have the ever touch the unit once I have the bluetooth pair, I really want the unit to be out of sight. I managed to cut a small piece of the glove box that can fit the cable and now there cable no longer jam when the glove box is closing.

I will definitely try the "Advanced" and "Siri" mode when I have the chance.

One thing I noticed over the weekend is that the GROM unit does not work with my remote starter. If I use the remote starter to start the car, I would not have the CD/GROM option, the buttons on my radio and steering wheel simply would not allow me to switch over to CD/GROM mode. I live in NYC and use the remote starter a lot during the winter, this is a pain for me. Additionally, if you turn on the car but not igniting it, the unit would work, but once you ignite the car again, the CD/GROM option will be disable again. You basically have to turn the car off and turn it back on again to solve both these issue.

Other than that, I love the unit so far. The great reception and the ability to switch over track using my steering wheel is great!
Old 03-19-13, 03:47 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

I tried it over and over again, no way of getting the text on my radio unit to display the song from the iphone regardless if I'm in Disc 1 or Disc 2. I got it to show the word "iPod" or "BT Stream", but no song title. I look at the instruction video again and this is not in it. I do want to test out the caller ID display feature when I have the chance.
Old 03-20-13, 07:26 AM
esz61
Driver School Candidate

The song info text display only works when you have your iPhone physically plugged into the the Grom unit through the iPod interface cable. When you are streaming music over the Bluetooth connection, the radio display says either "IPOD" or "BT STREAM".
Old 03-20-13, 03:57 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for clarifying. I rather not have another cable than having the song title on the radio unit. Beside, I have it on the phone. I'll try out to see if I can get the caller ID to work via Bluetooth.

I probably should of just gotten the factory Bluetooth. I have an 04 330, don't recall if Bluetooth was an option then. I know it's an option for the later 350 model. I though I have everything except for the Mark Lev sound systems. Didn't know I missed the Bluetooth.
Old 03-20-13, 08:30 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I probably should of just gotten the factory Bluetooth. I have an 04 330, don't recall if Bluetooth was an option then. I know it's an option for the later 350 model. I though I have everything except for the Mark Lev sound systems. Didn't know I missed the Bluetooth.
The 2004 RX330 did not have Bluetooth as an option. The CD player will not play MP3s either. Some of the differences in the RX330 model years of production.