RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx330 awd vs. Fwd

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 07:25 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by diverchris
I wish Lexus offered the FWD option in Canada; if that was the case I would have bought FWD over the AWD

Okay, I have to ask........Why? Personally I really like the AWD. And I noticed it is a much more even take off from the start. Where as the fwd the front end lifts more during take off. Plus better in snow/wet handling.
Old 09-11-20, 10:10 AM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Okay, I have to ask........Why? Personally I really like the AWD. And I noticed it is a much more even take off from the start. Where as the fwd the front end lifts more during take off. Plus better in snow/wet handling.
I love its better traction too!!! Vehicles with AWD/4WD are much safer without question.

Not sure if these small SUV 4wd/AWD work the same as my 4Runner but I bet it's same. Mine has Torsion 4wd on my 4Runner not AWD and has Yaw incorporated into my VSC. I know 2wd can't have the Yaw control but both All/4wd can.

With Yaw if your driving on wet/ice roads and you go over a wet/iced up overpass slick enough to make a vehicle slide around fast like black ice does, before you could react enough to actually lift your foot off your gas pedal the Yaw will have already decelerated & eccellerated whatever wheels needed & straightened your car back out for you.
It happens in a nano instant, most times before your tail even puckers up...lol Then your left asking "What just happened, I know I slid?"

Actually unless you know about having Yaw control on your vehicle many drivers may always wonder what angel was looking over them on that slick overpass that night? I'm sure there are many alive today simply left wondering exactly that?..lol

As I said it cant work on 2wd. Yaw can only work if it has AWD or 4wd as it brakes/speeds each wheel separately as needed to steer your car straight again. The steering itself is not actually overtaken so most never feel it much. Now newer electronic steering in cars may be that way today idk, but I really doubt it's changed? Mine is a 2007 non elect steering.

Yaw sensors are how airplanes fly during auto pilot so it's been safely used for yrs. I've never had any issues with the Yaw but people who lift 4wd's have had to reset the sensor at times. Very easy to do it yourself as the manual shows how.

I'd never go with 2wd again for the safety factor of it alone. Ive never replaced a wheel bearing on any Toy/Lex yet (owned 7) but I do have a front one going bad now but having 356k on my 4Runner with nothing but maintenance and normal wear items replaced so if that's changing them out a lot I can agree?..lol. Small price to pay for the life of your family anyway so I can accept it more often.

Last edited by 123go; 09-11-20 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-11-20, 07:24 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 433 Posts

My thought is a vehicle like these.....go w/ awd.
Old 09-13-20, 10:33 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
My thought is a vehicle like these.....go w/ awd.
i would tend to agree with this. My 07rx350 is awd. The only thing u may have to watch for with awd rxs is over time the transfer case seals can start to dry up and cause the transfer case to seep fluid. This is a issue currently on my rx. But i talked to one guy whos had a seeping transfer case for 10 years on his rx and hes just kept topping the fluid off every so often which is what i do at every oil change. i have the shop check and if needed top it off which they do for no charge for me.
Old 09-13-20, 05:18 PM
CarComp
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clunker
My wife and I will be buying an RX330 .
any reason why you aren't considering the 350? The 330 engine uses a timing belt that usually needs replaced as soon as you buy it (a valid trade in reason on RX330s just passing the 100k mark)

the RX350 is the same car, just a newer version and the engine uses a timing chain.

FWIW I have an 08 RX350 FWD and it's quite bulletproof. I have owned 4x4 in the past... AWD is maybe unnecessary unless you have snow more than half the year.
Old 09-14-20, 06:31 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I prefer FWD, Its lighter and less maintenance. I live in TN though.

The only bad thing is the tires do peel out in the rain.

Also most RXs sold in the south have FWD. A few AWD ones have migrated here over the years. And dealers sometimes keep a few new ones in their inventory for the people that just have to have it. Lexus of Memphis currently has 7 RXs in inventory only the hybrids are AWD.
Old 09-14-20, 07:46 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I prefer FWD, Its lighter and less maintenance. I live in TN though.

The only bad thing is the tires do peel out in the rain.

Also most RXs sold in the south have FWD. A few AWD ones have migrated here over the years. And dealers sometimes keep a few new ones in their inventory for the people that just have to have it. Lexus of Memphis currently has 7 RXs in inventory only the hybrids are AWD.
You just nailed it....awd has more traction & being a mid size do anything, go anytime on any road....I can understand mid size sedan's being fwd thou.....I'd also be looking at the '07-'09 350's as well. I was originally looking at 330's as well. There are positives & negatives w/ both engines... I would of gone w/ either one, depending on the colors & options. One of the last dealers I went to had 3 gen 2's, I drive the 350 as that one was easier to get out, a couple good pulls up the 520 told me to go w/ a 2gr vs a 3mz.....Also I'd open up your search radius as well...I took my time to find one......