RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Control Arm Bushings Worn - newbie, what do I ask??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 07:32 AM
bcslexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Control Arm Bushings Worn - newbie, what do I ask??

I bought a used 2007 Lexus RX350, FWD, in December 2012 and had it looked over before I signed the papers by a non-biased mechanic. He said the control arm bushings would need to be replaced in the future, but not soon, just advised I have my mechanic keep an eye on them.

When I took the car in last month to my mechanic (a private mechanic, not a Lexus dealership), he said the control arm bushings on the right side are worn a lot more than the left side. He said on this Lexus, it would require removing the engine to replace the parts (?) and that because it was such a labor intensive job, and the left will eventually wear, that he advises I get both the left and right replaced at the same time.

He said I could wait awhile, but not to wait too long and to start saving my money.

I'm NOT a mechanical person, so I'm trying to educate myself before forking over the big bucks. Does this sound reasonable? Will he have to pull the engine? The car is FWD, does this mean I only need the work done on the front? What would be a rough cost estimate for this? What questions should I ask?

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-07-13, 08:10 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus bcslexus. I am not a mechanical person either, but I would certainly recommend you get a second opinion on this. Preferably from a Toyota or Lexus dealership. Use the "search this forum" function, there is a wealth of information that has been discussed previously.
Old 04-07-13, 08:22 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a link on replacement of bushings on control arm. HtownBlue knows the RX mechanics. I don't think there is much he hasn't worked on.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nary-tale.html
Old 04-07-13, 09:08 AM
bcslexus
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Thanks for the welcome and quick response, RainBird! I will definitely take it in for a second opinion. The link you supplied was also helpful - looks like my mechanic was being honest when he said he would have to move the engine to get down there. Thanks for the info!!! Very helpful.
Old 04-07-13, 09:03 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Remove the engine?
Are you in a 2012 RX? Maybe as they redesigned some things on the front end.

Here is what has to be done as I have done this job. Front Engine mount needs to be loosened (not taken out just the bolts loosened. Side engien mounts need to be taken out for clearnace to reach the control arm bolts. This is doen by dropping the sub frame (4 large bolts that are easy to do with an impact).

Once the side mounts are loosened and freed, you can do the entire control arm job easily because you can reach them.

My bushings went out so I understand your pain. Engine removal is a joke, Go to a different mechanic friend. Any mechanic worth his salt NEVER wants to remove an engine. EVER. Simply more work than its worth usually.
Old 04-08-13, 07:16 AM
bcslexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, HtownBlue. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm NOT mechanical, so I probably ASSumed the mechanic said he would have to pull the engine.

But I'm determined to be proactive about this repair and go in with as much info as possible; so I'll be printing out your comment and taking it with me to the shop so I know what I'm talking about. That information REALLY helps!

And as Rainbird suggested, I'm going to get a second opinion and quotes, as well.
Old 04-09-13, 08:37 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Dealer just changed mine at 90k. It would have been $1500 if not for warranty. Made the RX feel new again. The dash had an odd rattle behind the Nav system and that is now gone since the fix.
Old 04-09-13, 09:40 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HtownBlue

Here is what has to be done as I have done this job. Front Engine mount needs to be loosened (not taken out just the bolts loosened. Side engien mounts need to be taken out for clearnace to reach the control arm bolts. This is doen by dropping the sub frame (4 large bolts that are easy to do with an impact).

Once the side mounts are loosened and freed, you can do the entire control arm job easily because you can reach them.

My bushings went out so I understand your pain. Engine removal is a joke, Go to a different mechanic friend. Any mechanic worth his salt NEVER wants to remove an engine. EVER. Simply more work than its worth usually.
Your describe here is somehow different with what you described in this thread. I have a 08, if I only use the jack stand and work from under the truck, how much time you think that it will take with impact?
Old 04-09-13, 09:01 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdyd
Your describe here is somehow different with what you described in this thread. I have a 08, if I only use the jack stand and work from under the truck, how much time you think that it will take with impact?
I was abbreviating for the sake of time and sore eyes. HA!
You could do it with a jack and some stands, just going to take you a bit to loosen and reposition the sub frame and such. Not impossible by any means. I did this job on an 2004 RX (mine) and I think they kept the same design through the 06's. The 07's I think are almost the same though.
Old 08-20-13, 06:55 PM
bigdog100
Driver School Candidate

I am about to do this job on my 2004 rx330, should I order just the bushings or the whole arm? If so where should I order them from?

Old 08-20-13, 07:36 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdog100
I am about to do this job on my 2004 rx330, should I order just the bushings or the whole arm? If so where should I order them from?
I purchased just the bushings because i know a guy who has a 20 ton press and can press old ones out and new ones in. If you dont have this resource then buy the whole control arm. I would buy them from rock auto.
Old 08-20-13, 07:46 PM
bigdog100
Driver School Candidate

I just read your full post on the job, so nds like a ***** to do. I will buy the arms. Should I replace anything else while I have it all apart?

Is this the correct arm they have 5 of em http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2967336&cc=1421312

Originally Posted by alchemist
I purchased just the bushings because i know a guy who has a 20 ton press and can press old ones out and new ones in. If you dont have this resource then buy the whole control arm. I would buy them from rock auto.

Last edited by bigdog100; 08-20-13 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-21-13, 05:33 AM
alchemist
Instructor

I just read your full post on the job, so nds like a ***** to do. I will buy the arms. Should I replace anything else while I have it all apart?

Is this the correct arm they have 5 of em http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...336&cc=1421312

yes you can use that.
Old 08-21-13, 03:58 PM
bigdog100
Driver School Candidate

After I loosen engine mounts do I need to jack up the motor a bit to get clearance?

Old 08-21-13, 07:05 PM
alchemist
Instructor

After I loosen engine mounts do I need to jack up the motor a bit to get clearance?
Yes. Go read htownblue thread on this.

Quick Reply: Control Arm Bushings Worn - newbie, what do I ask??