RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Looking for feedback on brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 07:04 PM
Jdalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for feedback on brakes and rotors

Hi!

I just purchased a 2005 RX330 for my wife. We love the car and are excited to join the Lexus group. I have a Toyota Sequoia myself with a 190K and no problems. I love the reliability of a Toy/Lexus.

The only negative thing we found with the car before purchasing was the pulsing of the brakes. I change my own brakes and plan on changing these. I was thinking of buying centric rotors (maybe premium) and Bendix CQ pads (front & rear). I was looking for any advice from people who have had the same or other aftermarket rotors and pads on.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-13, 08:05 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lot of people won't use anything but OEM and others do well with a variety of premium brands, use what you're comfortable with. I would suggest you hand torque the lugs to 76 lbs, the air hammer is not your friend.
Old 04-10-13, 05:45 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use wagner roters and pads for 08 and has not felt any difference with original pads/rotors.
Old 04-10-13, 07:27 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I liked the Raybestos Advanced Technology pads and rotors.
Old 04-10-13, 11:11 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I Like KVR rotors. I have KVR carbon fibre pad which are horribly messy. I will use ceramic pads once they need replacing.
Old 04-11-13, 02:59 AM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdalex
Hi!

I just purchased a 2005 RX330 for my wife. We love the car and are excited to join the Lexus group. I have a Toyota Sequoia myself with a 190K and no problems. I love the reliability of a Toy/Lexus.

The only negative thing we found with the car before purchasing was the pulsing of the brakes. I change my own brakes and plan on changing these. I was thinking of buying centric rotors (maybe premium) and Bendix CQ pads (front & rear). I was looking for any advice from people who have had the same or other aftermarket rotors and pads on.

Thanks!
Several months ago I replaced all 4 corners with Centric rotors and Akebono pads from rockauto. Personally, I love Akebono pads (I think they may even be the OE supplier). Prior to replacing, all pads and rotors were original (~128,000 miles). The pedal feel, smoothness, and quietness were restored to "like new". I'm very happy with the results.

The OEM rotors have additional venting at the hub that the Centric rotors do not have, but I think this would only hinder braking performance under very severe, multiple hard stop-in-a-row type driving. For reference, the Highlander rotors, like centric, do not have this additional venting.

Centric "premium" rotors are about 1/2 our discounted price of OEM rotors on Sewell. Akebono pads vs. OEM are about the same. So, DIY with all OEM stuff will be ~$200 more ($50 per rotor).
Old 04-11-13, 04:02 AM
ISMELLRICE
Rookie

If brakemotive makes them foe the rx id suggest them..ive ordered them for 3 of my cars and for the price they cant be beat...no brakedust, smoorh braking,and very inexpensive
Old 04-11-13, 01:48 PM
Jdalex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for all the feedback.
Old 04-11-13, 01:49 PM
Jdalex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Formula271
Several months ago I replaced all 4 corners with Centric rotors and Akebono pads from rockauto. Personally, I love Akebono pads (I think they may even be the OE supplier). Prior to replacing, all pads and rotors were original (~128,000 miles). The pedal feel, smoothness, and quietness were restored to "like new". I'm very happy with the results.

The OEM rotors have additional venting at the hub that the Centric rotors do not have, but I think this would only hinder braking performance under very severe, multiple hard stop-in-a-row type driving. For reference, the Highlander rotors, like centric, do not have this additional venting.

Centric "premium" rotors are about 1/2 our discounted price of OEM rotors on Sewell. Akebono pads vs. OEM are about the same. So, DIY with all OEM stuff will be ~$200 more ($50 per rotor).

Did you use the premium rotors? Is there any difference other than the e-coating on the hub?
Old 04-11-13, 06:57 PM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdalex
Did you use the premium rotors? Is there any difference other than the e-coating on the hub?
I used the premium rotors, front and rear. In addition to e-coating, Rockauto lists "machine finished" and "mill balancing" under the info for the premium rotors vs. the economy rotors. I suspect, the only real difference is indeed the e-coating. As you've probably seen, the price of the "premium rotor" is basically double the price of the economy, no e-coating rotor.

I can say the finish has held up well for the ~1 year I"ve had them installed. I'll have to make an effort to take a look tomorrow at the visible e-coated areas with the wheels installed and judge whether I'd do it over with the premium rotors or save $90. The rear discs have more of a "hat" section that houses the rear e-brakes. I'm thinking this larger surface might be a bit distracting if "rust" colored. From a functional standpoint, I really doubt the "economy" centric rotors would be any less effective or robust than the "premium" ones.