RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Please help! Humming noise when accelerating.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 03:45 PM
GotHeem
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fabchef
Hmmm ok? What kind of hesitation? I'm curious now. I had my tranny rebuilt last year. I notice usually when "crawling " in traffic, at around 15-20km/h...if i slowly accelerate, the revs slowly go up but car isn't really moving, then it upshifts and shifts well. If i come to a complete stop, though, and accelerate, it shifts through the gears perfectly.
off had, do you know where all the mounts are located? I can check mine out.
What you described is almost like mine. So when I slow down to around 10mph to make a turn, and later step on the gas pedal gently, it kind of revs up for a few seconds (2-3 seconds???) and then it “catches up” - not sure if that makes any sense. But it doesn’t do that all the time, not even half the time. My mech calls it a slip.

RE: the mounts: front mount is located directly in the front center-ish area behind the radiator at the bottom. The rear mount I believe is located also at the bottom but toward the back of the engine. I think my mech said it mounts both engine and the tranny. The transmission mount is on the drivers side - I think mech said it’s behind the drivers wheel well plastic shield.
Old 06-22-23, 04:37 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, mine happens kind of in the same situation as you described. I don't think mine is a slip, as i think it's not sure where it should be, or in which gear. As i said. If I'm accelerating from a dead stop, it shifts through the gears perfectly. I think also, i will do a tranny drain and fill and use toyota products (not sure what was put in).
as for the mounts, i've seen the big one at front bottom, bottom drivers side, the one next to oil filler cap. But not sure what else there is.
so did changing the mounts get rid of your Slippage?
Old 06-22-23, 09:13 PM
GotHeem
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fabchef
Yes, mine happens kind of in the same situation as you described. I don't think mine is a slip, as i think it's not sure where it should be, or in which gear. As i said. If I'm accelerating from a dead stop, it shifts through the gears perfectly. I think also, i will do a tranny drain and fill and use toyota products (not sure what was put in).
as for the mounts, i've seen the big one at front bottom, bottom drivers side, the one next to oil filler cap. But not sure what else there is.
so did changing the mounts get rid of your Slippage?
I still have the slipping once in a while. And like you, when I’m at a complete stop, it accelerates fine. I might just do a drain and fill for now.
Old 05-21-24, 08:34 AM
4xdog
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2008 RX 4WD with 78k miles has both of these issues, exactly as described.

The hum, or droning sound, seems to pulse a little. It's especially noticeable when the engine is under a modest load, as in accelerating gently up a hill. It seems to do it more when temperatures are about 70F than otherwise. No impacts on economy or driveability that I can see.

The transmission slip seems to be only noticeable when I go over a speed bump. There's one near my house that I drive regularly and if I touch the gas pedal immediately after the bump it takes a second for the transmission to catch up. If I wait a couple of seconds after the up-and-down, it behaves normally.

Thanks to those who have posted some ideas, especially for the hum. There's some stuff I hadn't thought about there, like engine mounts.