RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power Steering rack problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-13, 12:57 PM
lexuskumar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering rack problem?

I have a 2006 RX 330 and I recently went to a nearby Toyota dealer for regular service.
After their inspection and diagnosis they concluded that the power steering rack is leaking and needs to be changed ($1500.00) and this is not even Lexus dealership yet. I am sure they will be quoting much higher.
I called up Lexus customer care and they claim that there was no safety recall and replacement campaign for 2006 model of RX 330.

Has anyone faced this problem? What are my options?

Once again it is so hard to believe that Lexus quality will require power steering rack replacement within 6 years from factory ?

Besides the rack they have list of other recommendations ranging from Ball Joint replacement to transmission flush. (Total of $4300.00)

Any help ?
Old 05-15-13, 02:25 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rack failure is a known issue on the 330, I had mine replaced at 73k. You can get factory refurb units and find a local shop and get out for 700-900 bucks if you shop around. You don't mention your mileage but ball joints might be a bit aggressive if you are under 100k.
Old 05-15-13, 05:47 PM
lexuskumar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Carver !
The current mileage is 102k miles.

Regarding steering rack - so its a known issues yet Lexus is not going to cover or compensate the repairing in part or any other way ?
Old 05-15-13, 07:04 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuskumar
Thanks Carver !
The current mileage is 102k miles.

Regarding steering rack - so its a known issues yet Lexus is not going to cover or compensate the repairing in part or any other way ?
Nope. It is a known problem as in that a good number of individuals have asked about this here at Club Lexus. No problems with my 2004. I guess they consider this a wear item and have felt no need to assist owners with these repairs due to the amount of time these vehicles are beyond the warranty when the problems are being seen.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...aking-oil.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-warranty.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...luid-leak.html
Old 05-16-13, 08:14 PM
ishee08
Driver School Candidate

Default lexus rx 330 power steering

I have a 2006 RX 330 and I recently went to a nearby Toyota dealer for regular service.
After their inspection and diagnosis they concluded that the power steering rack is leaking and needs to be changed ($1500.00) and this is not even Lexus dealership yet. I am sure they will be quoting much higher.
I called up Lexus customer care and they claim that there was no safety recall and replacement campaign for 2006 model of RX 330.

Once again it is so hard to believe that Lexus quality will require power steering rack replacement within 6 years from factory ?

Besides the rack they have list of other recommendations ranging from Ball Joint replacement to transmission flush. (Total of $4300.00)

Any help ?
Hi Kumar,
I have the same problem, few months ago went to lexus for an oil change and was told my power steering is leaking about ($1400 for repair). Coincidentally, while waiting for my service guy to return, another service rep told the lady sitting next to me her power steering rack is leaking and need replacement . Right there and then I became suspicious and made up my mind to say no and I will think it over. I took my lexus rx330 for brake check at my neighborhood NTB just few hours ago today , while checking the pads and rotors, I noticed some grease around the rack and one of the guys said to me, this is a known problem and his mom had the same problem with her rx350 and had to change the whole rack and pinion. Their price, $922.22 plus $282.00 labor. I was so upset . I bought mine lexus brand new and now going through this. I wonder how many other lexus rx owners have or are experiencing this? I think lexus should do the right thing and fix this issue for free. Ishee Kansas city, Mo.

I just saw this online : http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/55...ring-problems/

Last edited by ishee08; 05-16-13 at 08:36 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-08-13, 08:49 PM
maficrock
Driver School Candidate

A little bit late responding to your post but figured this would be helpful to others.

My wife's 2007 RX350 steering rack had a notch in it (fought you when turning). Yes, this was very scary coming out of a shopping center driveway and not being able to compensate in the right direction. Long story short, Lexus replaced the struts first before realizing it was the steering rack. This was December 2008. Mileage was about 40K.

September 2012 I take the car into Lexus for oil change and the service consultant attaches an invoice to my bill stating my steering rack is leaking and needs to be replaced (yes $1500).

May 2013 I take back to Lexus for another oil change, but have them double check the rack is leaking. This was confirmed.

Decided to call Lexus headquarters in Irvine last Friday to let them know of my situation and see if they would assist me on the replacement since the rack was replaced in 2008 and is only 5 years old. Received a call back today stating, they looked at my service history and offered to pay the labor charges as part of the replacement ($500). However, I would have to pay for the steering rack ($1,000) through Lexus. I'm sure most of you know that Sewell Lexus in Texas has discount parts if you are a Club Lexus member. Looked today and the cost of the rack with discount is $668 w/o tax. I sent an email to the manager at my local dealer to see if they had a problem with me purchasing the part through Sewell and having it shipped to them to install on my car. I also asked them if they would match this price but haven't received response yet. I personally don't believe they can.

To conclude, it doesn't cost anything to call Lexus customer care number and ask to see if they could assist with compensation. It helps if you are a good customer and routinely bring your vehicle in for service. Good luck!
Old 07-10-13, 10:26 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Hello All,
Same problem here, just bought the car and was reading up on CL for know problems with the RX, looked under and low and behold a minor leak, the PS fluid actually ate thru the boot.

gonna pull it out and take it to an indi shop to get it fixed, had to do the same to my 01 X5
Old 07-11-13, 03:04 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The right boot on our 07 has been damp for a couple years, a very small leak but nothing major. The level does not go down in the reservoir, at least not yet. When the leak gets worse, and I am sure it will, I will probably get a remanufactured unit from Rockauto for about $300 with a $125 core charge. It has a 3 year warranty. Not sure I will put it in myself, but may have an independent do it. Seems like Lexus would step up since it is obviously a consistent problem with these vehicles.
Old 07-11-13, 07:43 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine recently got diagnosed as having a leak. No leaks visible on the ground and no issues with steering yet (car has done 190000 km's).
Old 07-11-13, 09:46 PM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by nwfsnake
The right boot on our 07 has been damp for a couple years, a very small leak but nothing major. The level does not go down in the reservoir, at least not yet. When the leak gets worse, and I am sure it will, I will probably get a remanufactured unit from Rockauto for about $300 with a $125 core charge. It has a 3 year warranty. Not sure I will put it in myself, but may have an independent do it. Seems like Lexus would step up since it is obviously a consistent problem with these vehicles.

ROCKAUTO has definitely bailed me out a couple of times..lol when the problem gets worse I'm planning to DIY it. It can't possible be harder than an 01' X5...I had to drop the dang sub frame for that one...
Old 07-11-13, 09:51 PM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by draco
Mine recently got diagnosed as having a leak. No leaks visible on the ground and no issues with steering yet (car has done 190000 km's).
Good stuff..
Old 07-14-13, 02:27 PM
klno36
Driver School Candidate

Angry Power Steering Rack problem.

I am having this problem with my rake on my 2009 with 62,000 miles. My situation is somewhat complicated but needless to say I am still upset. My car was hit while parked and it was hit so hard it was pushed into the next car parked beside mine. It was repaired by the body shop recommended by Allstate. I think that was mistake number 1. I should have had it repaired by Lexus but they said it has a lifetime warranty as long as you own the car. While it was being repaired the auto body shop contacted me to say my brakes needed to be replaced so I told them that since it was near the 60,000 mile service I would have Lexus take of it. After the repair in May I took it to Lexus for the service and they discover one of the bearings were bad so I had to take it back to the repair shop to have it replaced a second time. Since then I have been really uneasy about the ride and have since taken it back to Lexus who has assured me that the car is fine. Last week the check engine light came on so I dropped it off and they indicated there was an oil sensor that was bad and the rack and pinion need to be replaced because it is leaking. I have a 2001 RX 300 that has never given me any problems and I am distraught about this issue. I am thinking the rack is somehow related to the accident but I may have a hard time proving it. The sensor I am not to sure about but nonetheless I am feeling caught between a rock and a hard place. My total cost to replace the rack is $1400 an 500 for the sensor. My regular service guy is out with back surgery and my claim is still open but my adjuster is on vacation. Can anyone offer any advice.

Any help ?
Old 07-15-13, 03:26 PM
klno36
Driver School Candidate

Ok, after many hours of agonizing over my 2009 RX350 I spoke to the Service Manager at my dealership and Lexus is going to cover the cost of the rack and pinion and also the oil exhaust sensor. The oil exhaust sensor was covered under the power train warranty. I was told that the rack and pinion leak is not a result of the accident but since it has low miles and I maintain my car in tip top condition they would take care of the repair. I will definitely be getting rid of it at the end of the month for a 2013 RX350.
Old 07-20-13, 05:53 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's sad so many people are having this problem; I believe it's willful blindness on Lexus/Toyota's part. The reason I'm stating this is there is no service interval for changing the PS fluid and if you are at the dealership and ask for the fluid to be changed to get the look:
Toyota racks never fail
The fluid never needs to be changed

There is no fluid change interval; yet when the rack is leaking it will happily be replaced at considerable expense to the customer.
For peace of mind I have my changed every 75k with synthetic ATF fluid. I hope this helps me out in the long run. Every time the fliud gets changed it is filthy. I get a local shop and have this done.
Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited by diverchris; 07-20-13 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-26-13, 08:54 PM
compdr59
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Did anyone hear about LSB-0107-12? Does it mention a rack repair procedure?

Vehicle: 2004 Lexus RX 330
Nature of Defect:
STEERING:GEAR BOX (OTHER THAN RACK AND PINION)
Bulletin Number:
LSB-0107-12 Bulletin Date:
Oct 2012
Summary:
LEXUS: STEERING GEAR ASSEMBLY MAY BE LEAKING OIL FROM BOOTS AND INFORMATION IS PROVIDED FOR REPAIR PROCEDURE. MODELS 2004-2009 RX330, RX350. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10050660 )

Quick Reply: Power Steering rack problem?