RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Atermarket Sound System Experts Please Read!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 11:49 AM
RX330iPad
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation RX330 Atermarket Sound System Experts Please Read!

Hi everyone, I'm in the middle of having my 2006 RX330's audio system upgraded. I have the Pioneer Sound System (NON ML), Navigation (Backup Camera) and no DVD. I am going to install an iPad Mini (see my other post for more info) but need to replace the double din stock head unit first. Everything is taken care of, and they are installing but today when I called in to check on status, the installer is worried about losing the Navigation screen and backup camera!!!!!

I did my research and from what I know, we can remove the double din without affecting the other components (AC, NAV Screen, Backup Camera) etc, am I missing something?

Please advise so that I can help the installer, thank you!

Last edited by RX330iPad; 01-06-14 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 01:14 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a couple of RX specific harness available to retain those functions Metra and Beatsonic, Metra
is cheaper and less known but Beatsonic is a CL sponsor. Search with those names and you'll get a wealth of info. You might need a steering wheel kit as well.
Old 07-18-13, 01:34 PM
RX330iPad
Rookie

Thanks Carver, I've seen your input and installs during my search for the info.

I bought the following for steering wheels controls from crutchfield:
Axxess ASWC-1 Auto Sensing Steering Wheel Control Interface
Metra TYTO-1 Toyota Turn on interface

So it looks like steering wheel controls are covered, but what do we need to do to make sure that Nav screen and stock backup camera stay working? Any more info on that?

Appreciate the response.
Old 07-18-13, 02:30 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RX330iPad
Thanks Carver, I've seen your input and installs during my search for the info.

I bought the following for steering wheels controls from crutchfield:
Axxess ASWC-1 Auto Sensing Steering Wheel Control Interface
Metra TYTO-1 Toyota Turn on interface

So it looks like steering wheel controls are covered, but what do we need to do to make sure that Nav screen and stock backup camera stay working? Any more info on that?

Appreciate the response.
It get's sticky here, I do not know if the Metra harness retains those functions, I know there is a specific harness from Beatsonic that certainly does. Go look at the Beatsonic site to see the various harness' available to see what I'm talking about.

Reading over your posts I believe you are not planning to replace the head unit? Is that correct?
Old 07-18-13, 02:33 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

If you get stuck on this you might contact the guys at Beatsonic, they are incredibly helpful and responsive. They may be able to do something custom for your project, don't know.
Old 07-18-13, 02:37 PM
RX330iPad
Rookie

Ok, I will see if Beatsonic can help.

To answer your question, the stock Lexus double din head unit is gone, in its place will be a single DIN head unit (Sony MEXGS600 BT) and in front of that will be the Ipad Mini that will connect to the Sony head unit. So really, to keep it simple it is an install where the Lexus head unit is replaced with an aftermarket Sony single din.
Old 07-18-13, 02:59 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Then Beatsonic should be able to help. You might ask the Metra guys for help as well, see what they say. I'm sure this will come up again.
Old 07-18-13, 03:25 PM
RX330iPad
Rookie

I just talked to them again and it seems the issue had to do with the fact that power to the Navi/AC/Screen was channeled through the factory stereo, by removing that, you kill the connection and have to re-route it. They say they figured it out, so looks like no need for Beatsonic or Metra as I suspected. Thanks for the feedback, I've been waiting 3 months (since I started buying the items and all) for this to finish and was having an anxiety attack! Haha, pics/vids soon!

Last edited by RX330iPad; 07-18-13 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 12:56 AM
honeyham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 RX330, same system, same problem

Originally Posted by RX330iPad
I just talked to them again and it seems the issue had to do with the fact that power to the Navi/AC/Screen was channeled through the factory stereo, by removing that, you kill the connection and have to re-route it. They say they figured it out, so looks like no need for Beatsonic or Metra as I suspected. Thanks for the feedback, I've been waiting 3 months (since I started buying the items and all) for this to finish and was having an anxiety attack! Haha, pics/vids soon!
I ran into the same exact issue with my double DIN Pioneer setup that I ordered from Crutchfield as well. I'm assuming they sent me the same wiring harnesses they sent you because I had the same exact problems ...did you ever figure out a fix for the issue of AC/NAV and other limited functions? I'm so frustrated with it! Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 01-06-14, 09:35 PM
RX330iPad
Rookie

Originally Posted by honeyham
I ran into the same exact issue with my double DIN Pioneer setup that I ordered from Crutchfield as well. I'm assuming they sent me the same wiring harnesses they sent you because I had the same exact problems ...did you ever figure out a fix for the issue of AC/NAV and other limited functions? I'm so frustrated with it! Thanks in advance for any input.
Well, I know it is possible, as you can see here:

I'm afraid I can't provide more info in addition to what I said in the post prior to yours. I would be happy to share the name of the shop that did this for me in Texas, if you reference the video they should be able to remember.