RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Please help... Coolant leak and just got the vehicle for 1 week

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 07:55 PM
Vinny18
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help... Coolant leak and just got the vehicle for 1 week

Hello Everyone, I'm new here and hope you guys can help a fellow RX owner out. I didn't notice it until a week after I bought it from the dealership. My 2009 RX350 is leaking coolant1 It's not a lot and it stops after a while but once I drive the next day it starts to leak again. I hope it's something minor such as a loose hose etc. I tried to look in the engine bay but can't find anything. It looks to be from the passenger side (see pic)
Please help... Coolant leak and just got the vehicle for 1 week-fxvplz8.jpg

This is from the undercarriage which I can't see much either.
Please help... Coolant leak and just got the vehicle for 1 week-ynznvts.jpg

Does anyone know what it could be. I haven't really worked on cars since high school doing oil changes and light mods etc. I want to try to fix myself if possible sinceI just spent $26000+tax and license already on this vehicle. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-01-13, 07:58 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you sure it's coolant and not the condensate from AC?
Old 08-01-13, 08:03 PM
Vinny18
Driver School Candidate

when I looked yesterday it had a green tint to it, I'll check again tomorrow and use some gloves to see if it really is coolant, Thanks
Old 08-01-13, 08:27 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Toyota / Lexus OEM coolant is reddish pink in color. The photo in post one looks to be water condensate from the A/C.

Last edited by Rainbird; 08-01-13 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added info...
Old 08-01-13, 08:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Toyota / Lexus coolant is red in color.
Very good point, however, I would confirm the color of the coolant in the system just in case the selling shop (or a shop the previous owner may have used) did switch coolants.

Vinny18, I would put a piece of white paper underneath your vehicle where the drip is coming from to help distinguish the color of the drip. Put a rock or two on the paper to keep it in place should you park outside to keep it from floating away on you. Also, take a peak in the overflow reservoir and the radiator itself to see what color coolant is in there and what the levels are which might indicate a leak. As Rainbird points out Toyota coolant is red.

Hopefully, it is just clear AC condensation.
Old 08-01-13, 09:18 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny18
Hello Everyone, I'm new here and hope you guys can help a fellow RX owner out. I didn't notice it until a week after I bought it from the dealership. My 2009 RX350 is leaking coolant1 It's not a lot and it stops after a while but once I drive the next day it starts to leak again. I hope it's something minor such as a loose hose etc. I tried to look in the engine bay but can't find anything. It looks to be from the passenger side (see pic)

This is from the undercarriage which I can't see much either.

Does anyone know what it could be. I haven't really worked on cars since high school doing oil changes and light mods etc. I want to try to fix myself if possible sinceI just spent $26000+tax and license already on this vehicle. Thanks in advance!
BTW, since you just recently paid $26K for this vehicle it wouldn't be a bad idea to run it past the shop you purchased from for them to throw it up on the lift for a look. Especially if this is truly a coolant leak after your inspection. If so, be sure to let them know that you just purchased and are not very happy about the leak.
Old 08-01-13, 09:23 PM
Rainbird

Just to clarify Toyota makes two coolants. One is "Toyota Long Life Red". It is silicate-free, high phosphate coolant. The other is Toyota Super Long Life "Pink". It is a silicate-free, phosphate coolant that only comes premixed 50/50. The long life red will turn a pinkish color when mixed with water (distilled only is recommended).
Old 08-01-13, 11:37 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

If you do have a problem, the Lexus powertrain warranty is 6 years, 70,000 miles. So as long as you are under 70K, the cooling system should be covered except possibly hoses which might be classified wear and tear items.
Old 08-02-13, 04:15 AM
RXPhil
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's AC condensation. Stick your finger in the puddle and look at the fluid. Is it water? If not what colour is it? Does it smell? How does it taste? (Don't do the last one) lol
Old 08-02-13, 07:50 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Or, go for a drive with the AC off. And, see if there is no more dripping.
Old 08-02-13, 10:30 AM
retiredguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With a puddle like that there surely would be a lower level in the coolant reservoir. Most likely condensate, but if it is coolant, look for a leaking water pump or pinhole in a hose. Watch that temp gauge until you find out for sure!
Old 08-02-13, 12:48 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

It IS from the A/C. Coolant will not leak from that area. That is the same spot as the a/c condensate drip hose.
Old 08-02-13, 02:08 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nervous new Lexus owners. In a couple of years you'll notice you haven't done anything except get the oil changed and you'll try to remember what it was like with your old car when you would plan your trips to the dealer based on the severity of whatever dribble, squeak, shudder had popped up since your last visit. Welcome to Lexus.
Old 08-02-13, 03:05 PM
Vinny18
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone thanks for all the input, When I first notice the dripping it might have been coincidence that there was another vehicle there that leaked coolant before that's why I notice the greenish coolant. Just checked again today and it seem to be clear. Seeing liquid drip from under the hood is never a good thing, especially when I just got the car and know nothing about the vehicle. So I was a little worried. I did check on Lexus records and the previous owners did bring it in the dealer for all the maintenance. Is it normal that there is that much condensation? I had cars with A/C before and never noticed a little puddle like that. You guys are great thanks for helping out the noob. Hopefully in time I'll be able to contribute to the community. I LOVE MY RX350!
Old 08-02-13, 03:09 PM
Vinny18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXPhil
It's AC condensation. Stick your finger in the puddle and look at the fluid. Is it water? If not what colour is it? Does it smell? How does it taste? (Don't do the last one) lol
Lol yeah, I know coolant is poisonous so I don't think I'll do that but I heard it suppose to be sweet.

Quick Reply: Please help... Coolant leak and just got the vehicle for 1 week