RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Sway Bar Link

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 12:07 PM
Chaitu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar Link

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I recently bought a 2008 Rx 350 AWD. With in a week after the purchase, I started hearing a loud rattling noise from the driver side wheel as if there was something interfering with the wheel's motion. I immediately took it to the dealer where I purchased it from and they said its a minor fix. They put a temporary fix on it and said it was okay to drive. I took it to a Lexus service center and found out that the sway bar linkage was broken and it posed a significant amount of safety hazard. The lexus mechanic was quite surprised to see the sway bar broken at the linkage. He believed that the linkage was already weak and should have been fixed by the dealership before selling. Fortunately, I had purchased a warranty on it which covered part of the cost. The dealership offered no assistance as it was sold "as is." I am pretty sure that me driving it to work for a week did not cause the sway bar to break. Has anyone ever experienced a problem like this?? Do I have a claim against the dealer?
Old 09-17-13, 12:36 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, Chaitu.

Unfortunately, in most states a used vehicle is sold "as is" such as in your case and it means just that. Why it is always a good recommendation to have any used vehicle checked out by an independent mechanic before purchase to look for any such hidden gremlins. Even the best of dealerships may miss something or who knows what the worst will try to get by the unsuspecting customer.

Now, the fact that their shop did a quick fix, whatever that means, instead of actually noting you had a broken part is a good indication to stay as far away from this dealership as possible in the future.
Old 09-17-13, 01:35 PM
Chaitu
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply!!
I acknowledge the fact that I should have been more prudent while making the purchase. However, since I test drove this car multiple times before the purchase and the overall probability of something being wrong in the sway bar is so low, I doubt if the mechanic review would have helped. Anyway as per the Washington laws when a product is sold with a warranty, the IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY cannot be waived. I am looking into it from a legal stand point. FYI, the name of the dealership is Auto-nation, they are pretty huge and offered me $200 in assistance (new development since my last post) for repairs which is approximately a quarter of the total cost.
Old 09-17-13, 01:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chaitu
Thanks for your reply!!
I acknowledge the fact that I should have been more prudent while making the purchase. However, since I test drove this car multiple times before the purchase and the overall probability of something being wrong in the sway bar is so low, I doubt if the mechanic review would have helped. Anyway as per the Washington laws when a product is sold with a warranty, the IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY cannot be waived. I am looking into it from a legal stand point. FYI, the name of the dealership is Auto-nation, they are pretty huge and offered me $200 in assistance (new development since my last post) for repairs which is approximately a quarter of the total cost.
Thanks for coming back with the update. Good thing to know about WA state law. Each state can be different so it is best to have an understanding of the laws for your area. I believe the MA state laws for used car sales are some of the toughest I have heard about as it applies to even individual sales IIRC.

As for AutoNation, am not a big fan of the company. They own the two local Lexus dealerships and have to say things went downhill after they took over from previous management. Hopefully, you can keep the pressure on them to make things right. Would ask them to pick up the repair costs beyond what the insurance paid. No reason for such a problem.
Old 09-17-13, 05:46 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for the record, a broken sway bar link is not a significant safety hazard. completely safe to drive with it broken, heck its safe to drive without the sway bar altogether.

its there for handling, not safety.

this of course does not mean that it should have been fixed prior to buying.
Old 09-17-13, 06:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kiwi
for the record, a broken sway bar link is not a significant safety hazard. completely safe to drive with it broken, heck its safe to drive without the sway bar altogether.

its there for handling, not safety.

this of course does not mean that it should have been fixed prior to buying.
Possible problems in high speed emergency situations. Not sure I would want to drive without it connected. However, I understand where you are coming from. Around town for a day or two would not be an issue at non-highway speeds.
Old 09-17-13, 06:59 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Possible problems in high speed emergency situations. Not sure I would want to drive without it connected. However, I understand where you are coming from. Around town for a day or two would not be an issue at non-highway speeds.
totally agree
Old 09-18-13, 09:59 AM
Chaitu
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comments!
I am no expert on swaybars but yes the temporary fix came right off as I entered the freeway. Just from the noise, it was very much apparent to me that something was coming in the way of my wheel. BTW the lexus service center mechanic took me into the workshop and showed me the cosmetic damage sustained by the rear side of the tire due to the hanging sway bar. If that's not hazardous I don't know what is...! I am pursuing this matter ...will keep anyone who is interested updated!