RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

would you buy used snow tire set?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 06:01 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would you buy used snow tire set?

Hi with the winter on the way

Would any1 recommend buying used set of snow tires? or is it worth it to just spend the extra dough and get original set from like a discount tire

if to buy used, I just have to look at the same tire size as Size: 225/65R17?

thoughts?
Old 11-04-13, 06:13 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive bought (& used) dozens of used tires over the years.
there are some great deals to be had with used tires.
a lot of times, youre getting a used tire with plenty of life/tread left
for many times less the original cost (i.e. $30 for a tire with 60% left, that was $150+ new)
as long as the tire has plenty of tread left, you should be good.
Old 11-04-13, 06:21 PM
RXPhil
Rookie

I only buy used rim and tire sets. You save a ton. You just gotta know what you're looking at. You can get decent deals on used tires at places that well used tires. Usually for a fraction of the price.

I bought a set of blizzaks on rims last year for $400 used them for a season. I just sold them for $500 and bought my new set for $460 which I could sell right now for $700 at least.

The trick is you gotta know what you're doing.
Old 11-04-13, 06:34 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

used tires are a hit and miss. i stretch and camber so ive bought used in the past.

some are good, some are bad.
Old 11-04-13, 06:51 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

what are the specs Id be looking for in snow tire set for the 08 rx350?
Old 11-04-13, 07:07 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

225/65 for 17's
235/55 for 18's

some1 correct me if im wrong.

it should also be on your driver door side.
Old 11-04-13, 07:31 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by carfan1111
Hi with the winter on the way

Would any1 recommend buying used set of snow tires? or is it worth it to just spend the extra dough and get original set from like a discount tire

if to buy used, I just have to look at the same tire size as Size: 225/65R17?

thoughts?
Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you feel the need to install winter snow tires on your RX? Can I assume you are in the northwest part of the state?

FWIW, I routinely stomp around PA from Bucks through Berks to Clearfield, Jefferson and Centre, as far north as McKean and as far west as Butler and Allegheny. Much of that is during the winter holiday season. While most of the snowbirds are traveling south to FL this time of year I get away and head back home to PA for extended stays during the winter. A lot of that is on the highways but there is also a great deal of driving on the winding backroads of the state and quite a bit at night. Routinely experience upwards of six inches of snow or so on unplowed backroads in my FWD RX330 and have not had an issue with my every day Bridgestone Alenza tires. Now granted, should you need to be out in conditions worse than that you might want to have snow tires on. I remember days in Bradford where the snow was so deep that after the roads had been plowed you couldn't see traffic coming from the crossroads when you came to an intersection. Was like driving in a tunnel.

If you feel the need to go the snow tire route a set of used tires, and yes 225/65R17 would be the size I would select, would be fine as long as they come from a reputable source. As mentioned previous they can come cheap. However, this time of year is probably the worst time to buy snow tires as the prices are quite high. Usually best to purchase at other times if possible. You might have started looking a few months back if you could. Would also recommend you consider another set of wheels if you plan on keeping your RX for an extended period of time and if you have storage space for the set of wheels and tires not in immediate use. In the long run it can be cheaper than paying to have your tires broken down and rebalanced several times each year.
Old 11-04-13, 08:13 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you feel the need to install winter snow tires on your RX? Can I assume you are in the northwest part of the state?

FWIW, I routinely stomp around PA from Bucks through Berks to Clearfield, Jefferson and Centre, as far north as McKean and as far west as Butler and Allegheny. Much of that is during the winter holiday season. While most of the snowbirds are traveling south to FL this time of year I get away and head back home to PA for extended stays during the winter. A lot of that is on the highways but there is also a great deal of driving on the winding backroads of the state and quite a bit at night. Routinely experience upwards of six inches of snow or so on unplowed backroads in my FWD RX330 and have not had an issue with my every day Bridgestone Alenza tires. Now granted, should you need to be out in conditions worse than that you might want to have snow tires on. I remember days in Bradford where the snow was so deep that after the roads had been plowed you couldn't see traffic coming from the crossroads when you came to an intersection. Was like driving in a tunnel.

If you feel the need to go the snow tire route a set of used tires, and yes 225/65R17 would be the size I would select, would be fine as long as they come from a reputable source. As mentioned previous they can come cheap. However, this time of year is probably the worst time to buy snow tires as the prices are quite high. Usually best to purchase at other times if possible. You might have started looking a few months back if you could. Would also recommend you consider another set of wheels if you plan on keeping your RX for an extended period of time and if you have storage space for the set of wheels and tires not in immediate use. In the long run it can be cheaper than paying to have your tires broken down and rebalanced several times each year.
i know where you are at...i make the runs from lewisburgh to OHIO on 80
I think your alenza are better than the michelin mxv4

i have no idea how long i will keep car, but I want to keep for now. I didnt know back couple months ago what I was going to do, as it was in accident in the summer time and wasnt sure how the repairs would go
Old 11-05-13, 03:22 AM
RXPhil
Rookie

You can also get 225/60-18.
Old 11-05-13, 07:04 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

My thoughts on used tires.

Rubber ages even when not being driven. If you drive the freeway or at highway speed, I'd recommend not mounting any tire older than 6 years of age. Snow tires, in particular, are prone to early failure as they sit unused for 7-9 months every year and this is surprisingly damaging to a tire as they are not flexing and releasing their anti-aging chemicals. The tires might look great as they are typically not used much but the rubber deteriorates and old rubber could cost you more than money, As snow tires are not used much they likely may have a lot of tread depth remaining, even 10 years out, and there is no non-destructive method to tell if an old tire is safe.

To determine the tires date of manufacture, look for the DOT string of letters and numbers on the sidewall. The last four numbers in the string tell you when the tire was born. The first two numbers identify the week in which the tire was made and the last two numbers the year.

So if the tire was made prior to 2007, I'd not feel safe on it at highway speed. I'd would not consider buying a tire that was even close to 6 years old as after 6 it will not be on one of my vehicles and I'd question just how good a deal a used tire might be if you can only get a year or two out of it before it might be unsafe.
Old 11-05-13, 07:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd buy all season tires used, but not snow tires. They already have a short life as it is, and are not good for many seasons. I'd buy new!
Old 11-05-13, 09:33 AM
carfan1111
Rookie

how does the tpms factor into all of this?
Old 11-05-13, 10:11 AM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You shouldn't have to worry about the tpms, at least on the 330. I know for a fact on the 330 that the tpms is abs sensor based, rather than wheel mounted sensors. I believe the 350 is the same way, someone else please chime in that knows for sure on the 350.
Old 11-05-13, 12:44 PM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by neelnaik
You shouldn't have to worry about the tpms, at least on the 330. I know for a fact on the 330 that the tpms is abs sensor based, rather than wheel mounted sensors. I believe the 350 is the same way, someone else please chime in that knows for sure on the 350.
RX350 is wheel mounted. Even the spare has one, ask me how I know.

The 350 has 2 settings for tpms so you can run 2 sets of tires with different sensors.
Old 11-10-13, 06:23 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

if I find a tire set of 225/65 for 17's or 235/55 for 18's

and they were on a different car, will they fit on the RX? is there something I should be looking for to make sure it does

thanks!

Quick Reply: would you buy used snow tire set?