RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power or Battery Connection Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-13, 07:35 AM
aschnell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power or Battery Connection Issue?

I have a 2005 RX330. When leaving work yesterday in 28 degree weather I realized I didn't let the car warm up enough and stopped at a light just a few feet away from the parking lot and the car powered off and back on quickly (I think). Everything (radio, heated seats, lights, etc) went off and back on for just seconds. Happened one more time and I noticed the indicator was well below COLD! So I pulled over and stayed on the side of the road for a few minutes to warm up.

I thought that was all it was until this morning. Warmed up the car before leaving. Drove 15 minutes to work, then after parking, couldn't LOCK the car! Assumed maybe the battery was dead in the keyfob (it's in the key??). Tried locking it from the inside the car and nothing. Normally the car locks itself after 30 seconds, but it didn't. Hid my GPS and anything else I could find, then waited outside another minute or two in the 18 degree cold and finally the key worked and it locked. I thought it all else failed, I would turn the key in the door and lock it, but didn't need to after all.

The big question is, why and will I be able to unlock it when I leave today?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-24-13, 08:17 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

As cold as it was it could be the battery, you should have it tested and look at the connections on the battery too.
Is it slow to start? Meaning the starter turns but it doesn't start right away? when my wifes battery on her 08 RX was going bad the starter would turn but it took longer for the engine to fire up, like maybe 10 seconds. I replace the battery and everything went back to normal fast start.
Old 12-24-13, 08:20 AM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

First check battery, then look towards alternator.
Old 12-24-13, 09:32 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

+1.....battery first
Old 12-24-13, 03:10 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, aschnell.

Agreed with the others that you should have the car's battery tested. Cold weather saps the life out of them. If you have a new battery installed you will most likely need to reset the window controls and the sunroof.

You should still be able to lock and unlock the doors from the driver's side using the actual key as in the old days even with a dead battery.

Yes, the battery for the key is inside and easy to change with a small Philips screwdriver. If you do not remember ever changing it now might be a good time to consider since we are coming up to the new year. Battery is just a standard CR2016. Discussed in your Owner's Manual:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...6U/pdf/1-1.pdf
Old 12-26-13, 07:36 AM
aschnell
Driver School Candidate

Default Power or Battery Issue?

Well, I have new problems for you! Didn't have any issues leaving on Tuesday, but yesterday after driving 40+ miles to our family. We stayed there for a few hours, started the car (warmed up), left and got about 1 mile down the road and my husband plugged his phone into the charger and it gave the signal that it was charging, then again and another two or three times, as if it were losing the charge in between. Then all the warning lights in the dash started flickering, the radio went off and even the direction on the rear view mirror was switching. I noticed the speedometer indicator moving from 20-60, 20-60, back and forth. So my husband said, let's pull over and turn it off and check things out.
I put the flashers on and pulled over. Then turned the car off and the flashers went off too. They checked the battery connection and said everything looked good. Tried to start the car and nothing. Not even a crank. Tried again and nothing. Sat for a few minutes and then the flashers came on without doing anything. Car started! Ran fine the rest of the way home and again this morning. Clock had to be re-set, but I didn't plug anything else in or turn even the seats or heater on!
I called Lexus this morning and they said to check the alternator. Does that sound right?
Old 12-26-13, 07:38 AM
aschnell
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to mention, I never have any problems starting right away (other than the issue yesterday when the dash was flickering). I've never had any issues with this car until now. Love my Lexus:-)
Old 12-26-13, 07:45 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Yes when the altternator is not charging the battery or the battery will not hold a charge there is not enough power to run all the electronics in the car.
If you have a multimeter check voltage at the battery with nothing on, should be 12 Volts. have someone start the car with volt meter on battery and check for how much voltage drop you have when engine is starting. You will see a small 1-2 volt drop and then it should come up to between 13.8-14.2 + or - a small amount once the engine starts. If the volts don't come up after starting your alternator is not putting out and is most likely the cause.
Old 12-26-13, 06:31 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

Again, have the battery tested. If the battery tests good, change your altenator. If your battery is over 5 years old, change that as well. Your problem is your battery or your altenator. Plain as that.
Old 12-31-13, 07:31 AM
aschnell
Driver School Candidate

Got a new battery (Die Hard) and it seems to be working great. Had the alternator tested too and it passed.

THANKS A MILLION!!! Happy New Year