RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 gets an Alpine 920HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 02:30 AM
carpot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very inspiring!

Nice work!

How much time (in hours) did it take for you and your friend to install?

Was all of the electrical done by integrated connectors, or was there a need for any splicing/soldering (or attaching connectors to the wire yourself)?

Do you have a sketch of a simple wiring diagram? Or perhaps the literature included within the Alpine package was sufficient?

Did you consider mounting the camera in the front? Would be nice ot have front and rear (hookups available to accomodate?). Perhaps there may be some wireless cameras that could be compatible?
Old 01-31-14, 05:34 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by carpot
Nice work!

How much time (in hours) did it take for you and your friend to install?

Was all of the electrical done by integrated connectors, or was there a need for any splicing/soldering (or attaching connectors to the wire yourself)?

Do you have a sketch of a simple wiring diagram? Or perhaps the literature included within the Alpine package was sufficient?

Did you consider mounting the camera in the front? Would be nice ot have front and rear (hookups available to accomodate?). Perhaps there may be some wireless cameras that could be compatible?
Thanks - all great questions carpot.

I would say it took us 8 hrs. Running the bluetooth mic and rear camera setup was the longest part.

My friend spliced everything - our directions were a combination of manual from Alpine (CD) and Axxess who makes the harnesses. They were helpful.

I did consider front camera but it was not a high priority so I punted. I am sure there are wired and wireless options here. It would also help my wife with her parking
I always back in so a rear camera is a must.

The other thing I may do in the future is link our already existing Invision rear DVD/entertainment head rests to the Alpine's output. Then we can control them from the front. Right now they run off FM signal and you have to put DVD in on top of them. We didnt have enough time to do this - only had one day to finish.

[/url]
Old 01-31-14, 10:39 AM
carpot
Driver School Candidate

I would like to do a similar setup, though probably with a lower cost / less functional centerpiece, such as:

1. A receiver (just to replace the stock one to be removed - are you using your stock amp or amp integrated in your Alpine?)
2. (streaming?) Blue Tooth for hands free phone cennectivity, so likely the mic, too,
3. rear view cam,and
4. if it had 'mirror device' feature, just tether my android to it, and use android navigation apps on the in-dash screen that way

Any suggestion for such a system?
Old 01-31-14, 12:01 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Is it easy to see while driving? It looks nice but seems pretty low to look at while driving.
Old 01-31-14, 12:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by carpot
I would like to do a similar setup, though probably with a lower cost / less functional centerpiece, such as:

1. A receiver (just to replace the stock one to be removed - are you using your stock amp or amp integrated in your Alpine?)
2. (streaming?) Blue Tooth for hands free phone cennectivity, so likely the mic, too,
3. rear view cam,and
4. if it had 'mirror device' feature, just tether my android to it, and use android navigation apps on the in-dash screen that way

Any suggestion for such a system?
With these systems you can keep the stock amp in place along with the existing speakers.

If you are looking to mirror an android device to a vehicle with existing NAV you are looking for something along the line of the following, however, it is not supported by the 2004 RX330 as it has an older infotainment system not supported as it has no Bluetooth, etc:

http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php

If you have a 2nd Generation RX and wish for a more modern upgrade then you are left replacing the existing cassette/CD/AM/FM receiver as done by alchemist, Carver, 1koolfella and others. The costs are what they are. For any of these systems you need to purchase the Double-Din faceplate along with the adapter cables to plug into the existing wiring harness and provide access to the steering wheel controls. All has been discussed before. First, you need to read Carver's writeup:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-dnx6960.html

Be sure to read all the way through this as there is also a writeup from 1koolfella who has a setup with the existing NAV.

Then, Packrat1's writeup:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-installs.html

Finally, the cheapest receiver replacement would take the form of the following from CJG:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-with-nav.html

There is a post in that last thread from RX330iPad showing his setup. More of its start here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...em-coming.html

There is plenty more here at CL if you care to search.
Old 01-31-14, 01:37 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Is it easy to see while driving? It looks nice but seems pretty low to look at while driving.
it's not bad. it is lower than the factory yes, but as far as i know there is no other option.