RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

18-inch tires on new RX330 maybe a problem in winter driving!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 03:57 AM
Hoosier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 18-inch tires on new RX330 maybe a problem in winter driving!

My wife has shown a tremendous interest in the new RX330 because of its height adjustable air suspension particularly the auto "kneel" position when engine is shut off to ease step in and step down. However, Lexus plans to bundle the optional low profile 18 inch tires with the air suspension package which is the basis of my concern for winter driving here in the snow regions since low profile tires handle poorly in wintery driving.

The standard tire on the new RX330 is 225/65SR17 M+S (current RX300 has 225/70SR16 M+S) and the optional tire that comes "standard" with the optional air suspension package is 235/55HR18 M+S. These low profile tires despite their M+S rating generally don't handle well in snow or slush. Our neighbor has a BMW X5 with the optional Sport Package that comes with the same 18-inch "M+S" tires. He can't even get up in his own driveway if there's any snow on it and handles poorly in snow and slush. BMW tells him his "problem" is because of those big 18 inch low profile tires. Our current 16 inch tires on the RX300 handle very well in snow and slush but I'm very concerned about safety and loss of traction if my wife gets the new RX330 with those big fat 18-inch tires. Your thoughts?

I don't really don't understand why Lexus is forcing customers to take the 18-inch tires when ordering the air suspension package. Makes no sense at all. I for one don't want the bigger tires for safety reason in wintery condition.
Old 02-01-03, 06:37 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Swap meet?

Good point, Hoosier - it seems Lexus is bundling several options into rather inconvenient "packages" in order to reduce production variation. Why the backup camera only with the Nav?

Myself, I like the idea of the adjustable ride height, but because I probably won't be entering any autocross events soon I'm not sure I will want to take the penalty of the 18s' harsher ride. I hadn't thought about performance in snow, but while it's not a concern here on the Gulf Coast, I occasionally drive in snow country in my travels.

Our solution may be fairly simple, since there will likely be a large number of 330 owners who want the "look" of the 18s without the expense of the air suspension. Arrange to swap those 18s back to your dealer for a set of 17s and cash. You may find yourself in a seller's market!

Last edited by Lil4X; 02-01-03 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-01-03, 07:34 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

i feel that the 18in wheels is a must to get. without them the 6 spoke rims look too much like a toyota from the pictures i've seen. but now that you mention the traction in snowy conditions, it's beginning to concern me. =( i wish you could get the 5 spoke rims on the 17 inch wheels.
Old 02-01-03, 08:32 AM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

just get a pair of steel wheels and snow tires for the winter, then in spring switch back to the 18's.
Old 02-01-03, 09:13 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Hey Hoo...

...How about this: Go for the 18s and I'll swap with you if you don't like them!

Old 02-01-03, 01:37 PM
Mind18
Driver

Originally posted by anonymous
i feel that the 18in wheels is a must to get. without them the 6 spoke rims look too much like a toyota from the pictures i've seen. but now that you mention the traction in snowy conditions, it's beginning to concern me. =( i wish you could get the 5 spoke rims on the 17 inch wheels.
I agree. 6 spoke lookes to similiar to the Highlander's rims.
Old 02-01-03, 09:33 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 01VaporBlueRX
just get a pair of steel wheels and snow tires for the winter, then in spring switch back to the 18's.
That's what I'd do.......
Old 02-02-03, 05:25 AM
scargo
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy RX330 drawbacks

We love our RX300 (1999) and we were really looking forward to the new 330. But there are 2 major drawbacks that make the 330 seem less desirable now: (1) it's 6 inches longer than the 300. In Manhattan that means hundreds less parking places, alot more time spent looking and alot more money spent on garages. (2) the 330 "low-profile" tires on 18-inch wheels make driving in snow more difficult -- changing wheels/tires every winter is not a desirable option.
We're now undecided about whether to get a 330.
Old 02-02-03, 07:38 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Unhappy

are there any reviews anywhere on those set of 18 inch tires? I wouldn't mind switching the tires when it comes to winter, but paying another $800 or so for new tires sucks. I wouldn't want to buy them from anywhere other than the dealer either.
Old 02-02-03, 07:45 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Very interesting topic, since the 18s are rated as All Season Tires, but may not be effective in snow due to it's low profile.

I would go with the 18's simply for the look and sportiness. But on the other hand, I want the RX330 for it's All Wheel drive for those snowy days. Why can't I have both?

I too am one of those that don't like swapping rims/tires for every winter season, so I am also torn, because I firmly believe the 18's make the new RX a better looking vehicle and is a must have also.

Maybe we should all just buy a new Toyota 4runner V8 Limited for around the same price. 4 wheel drive and it still looks great.
Old 02-02-03, 08:54 AM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

a set of 4 steel wheels would be about $175, and snow tires would be about $80-100. So thats about $495, but they will last a lot longer than one seasons use. Swapping wheels isnt very hard, you could just go down to a gas station and have them do it in about ten minutes.
Old 02-02-03, 04:01 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Exclamation scargo, I totally and wholeheartedly agree with you!!

Originally posted by scargo
We love our RX300 (1999) and we were really looking forward to the new 330. But there are 2 major drawbacks that make the 330 seem less desirable now: (1) it's 6 inches longer than the 300. In Manhattan that means hundreds less parking places, alot more time spent looking and alot more money spent on garages............
........Sometimes Lexus just does not have any idea what they're doing!! .......One one hand that guy, Danny Clements or whatever his name is (the Lexus VP guy) says in his own words "We don't have to be everything to everyone", when asked about the lack of a 3rd row seat, and on the other hand they go and increase the length of the RX by a WHOPPING 6 inches and the wheelbase by a WHOPPING 4 inches .......So, if they were anyways not going to put a 3rd row seat in there to cater to the "soccer-mom-needs-a-friggin-10-passenger-bus" crowd, why did they make it so friggin long?? Are they insane?? By doing this, neither are they serving the "bigger-is-better" crowd, nor are they catering to the "Personal-luxury-SUV" crowd. It just makes no sense to me!........Even here in the Los Angeles area, not only are parking spaces at a premium (more and more are becoming "compact-only" spaces ), but there are tons of super narrow roads and highways. This makes driving a "compact" vehicle with tidy dimensions a DREAM .........The existing RX was a "one-of-a-kind-SUV" that served this mission perfectly!! A luxurious, powerful SUV for those of us that don't need the FRIGGIN SIZE to carry loads of lumber to and from home depot everyday

That makes it just 2 friggin inches shorter than my MDX! ......Now, I'm really glad I bought the MDX and did not wait for the RX330 (FYI, I really did not need the MDX's size, but bought it because of the god-awesome-out-this-world voice acitivated Navigation System which leaves everything else out there, including the Lexus Navi IN THE DUST - I've EXTENSIVELY tested them out both)

Last edited by vicpai; 02-02-03 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-02-03, 04:30 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: scargo, I totally and wholeheartedly agree with you!!

Originally posted by vicpai
Even here in the Los Angeles area, not only are parking spaces at a premium (more and more are becoming "compact-only" spaces ), but there are tons of super narrow roads and highways. This makes driving a "compact" vehicle with tidy dimensions a DREAM
Length has no bearing on "super narrow roads and highways" unless one is driving sideways.

The new RX 330, at 72.6 inches, is only 1.1 inches wider than the RX 300.

A WHOPPING 1.1 inches! Shorter than the word "WHOPPING".

Width (in inches):
RX 300 71.5
QX4 72.4
ML 72.4
RX 330 72.6
JGC 72.6
X5 73.7
FX45 75.8 (mirrors folded)
MDX 77.0

Last edited by Daddy-O; 02-02-03 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-02-03, 04:42 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

would anyone have an idea of how much the sport package could possibly cost? i hope it won't be more than $4000 CDN.
Old 02-02-03, 05:16 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: scargo, I totally and wholeheartedly agree with you!!

Originally posted by vicpai
........Sometimes Lexus just does not have any idea what they're doing!! .......

That makes it just 2 friggin inches shorter than my MDX! ......Now, I'm really glad I bought the MDX and did not wait for the RX330 (FYI, I really did not need the MDX's size, but bought it because of the god-awesome-out-this-world voice acitivated Navigation System which leaves everything else out there, including the Lexus Navi IN THE DUST - I've EXTENSIVELY tested them out both)
The RX330 serves a certain segment of customer, that is why if you want 3rd row seating and other amenities you have the larger Lexus GX and LX offerring. Lexus can't make EVERYONE happy of course and there is no such thing as the perfect vehicle, but there is such a thing as being close to one.

Hmmmm.....an Acura MDX instead? Heck that bulky, unusually shaped, souped up Minivan, weird front end looking vehicle does has good features and probably is the best bang for the buck (Acura's are known for good value), however it's a matter of preference in the looks department and to be vain in the repuation dept, Acura still has not built the prestige as a Lexus, BMW, MB, Audi has, so if you are vain like most of us , Acura is a nice 2nd rate, entry level Luxury brand, and it's no Lexus.

This is the opinion of a former Acura owner (99TL) that stepped up to the big leagues with Lexus.

Quick Reply: 18-inch tires on new RX330 maybe a problem in winter driving!