RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power Rear Door Opening Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 02:30 PM
Oldsports
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I was determined to figure it out! When I woke up this morning I thought about the possibility of an incorrect installation. I thought I was careful when I originally installed them but apparently that was not the case. Very happy now that everything is working as it should - can't beat that for $45 and less than an hour's worth of effort!
Old 12-28-17, 04:15 PM
99magna
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spratt23
Well, the struts do not function at low outside temperatures. The door opens fine and stays open if the car is in the heated garage, is sitting in the sun, or the outside temperatures are above around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. If Charles Law explains this, then the maintenance people at Lexus need to read this and send out an advisory. I am done replacing struts; they work fine at the Lexus dealer because it is in a heated environment in the service area. As soon as I get them home, they fail when the temperatures cool.
I am sorry to bring back an old post, but I just had this immediately open then close on the power rear hatch door in the last 2 weeks since the outside temp was below 60-40 degree. Reading thru. all the rear hatch post problems in this forum, I think you are right about its might be temperature related. I do not think my struts are the problem because if I use the pad button at the rear hatch to open and lift the hatch up by myself. The hatch will stay up for as long as I leave it . I have never had this malfunction before since I own it new. For now I just use the rear pad button and wait until spring come around when the temp. about 60 deg and try it again with the power button on the key pad and the dash button.
Old 12-28-17, 05:46 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

stuffed struts will allow the door to open a small way, then close. Also sticky rubber seals will do this. Wipe the seals down with a silicon spray.

Last edited by tomr51; 12-28-17 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-30-17, 08:52 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Gas charged struts lose SOME of their function in colder temperature. I just replaced hood struts on wife's RX350 at only 54 000 miles as they won't hold hood up, unless pumped few times. It happened to be exactly when temperatures fell down to freezing. As you have sensor on tale gate, small strut function loss will trip sensor as now motor has to fight against "heavier" gate. I feel, they clearly under powered struts for rather very heavy hood and tailgate.
Old 01-01-18, 09:55 AM
99magna
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Gas charged struts lose SOME of their function in colder temperature. I just replaced hood struts on wife's RX350 at only 54 000 miles as they won't hold hood up, unless pumped few times. It happened to be exactly when temperatures fell down to freezing. As you have sensor on tale gate, small strut function loss will trip sensor as now motor has to fight against "heavier" gate. I feel, they clearly under powered struts for rather very heavy hood and tailgate.
Does your tail gate struts fail yet ?, my wife's 2009 RX350 only has about 52k miles like your with low miles. I had replaced the hood struts couples of time before on my BMW but that has nearly 150k miles. I was kinda disappointed that they fail already on these Lexus's struts. My Hood struts still working fine for now though. Did you replace those struts with OEM parts ?. Thanks for the infor and Happy Newyear to you.
Old 07-08-18, 04:01 AM
Krimitzas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my RX 400h 2006 in Greece with temperatures about 30 degrees Celsius. When I try to open the power back door either with remote key or with the button inside the car the result is that the tries to open for about 2 or 3 centimeters and then closes again. All other operations of the door work excellent. I put lithium grease on the struts (spray) but no result. The condition of the struts is excellent. Is there any idea (something like resetting/initialize the door) ?
Old 07-08-18, 04:28 AM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

try wiping the rubber seals around the door with a silicon spray. The rubber can get sticky and give the problem you are having.
Old 05-12-23, 09:54 AM
marksant4u
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange ghost in the machine

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
It sounds to me like the "pinch sensor" is being tripped. That is what stops the door from opening or closing if it feels too much resistance. This causes the door to immediately change direction to avoid crushing someone, or wacking the roof of your garage. As far as I know, there is no setting that would cause this to happen. It is strange that it works fine on the second attempt. I would def have the dealer take a look.
My issue is a little different. My hatch door has that starting/stopping problem, but only intermittently. I replaced the struts, so that shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it won't open or close. I just got back from a shopping trip to wo stores and it worked fine the first few times I opened and closed it but opening it to load from the last store it wouldn't close. I got home and it opened, but again it wouldn't close. What is going on?