RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Side Rearview Mirrors Not Keeping There Preset Memory

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-15, 11:49 AM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Rearview Mirrors Not Keeping There Preset Memory

So this has been becoming more and more annoying. Not only is it a distraction but I'm finding the mirrors out of there alignment while I'm already under way and driving along, (seriously unsafe). Not by like a lot but enough to notice that I'm looking at the big blue sky and part of the car behind me.

The back story is that my wife and I share this car and we both have our preset settings 1. for me 2. for her. Every time we switch presets gets out of whack. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks,

L
Old 03-06-15, 01:11 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you reset all the presets after a battery change? (seats, mirrors, sunroof, windows, cargo back door).
Old 03-06-15, 01:43 PM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Did you reset all the presets after a battery change? (seats, mirrors, sunroof, windows, cargo back door).
When you do a battery change and you don't plug in anything into the cigarette lighter you lose all presets and auto close window functions, Yes I get that. When I did the battery swap I reprogramed the settings into the seat and mirrors that I wanted and I cycled all the windows including sunroof, so that they operate be one touch again. That's all I did. I don't how you would reset the mirrors or the cargo door? The cargo door operates fine, it opens and closes with the remote button and by open/close button on the backdoor itself. How do I go about resetting the side mirrors?

Last edited by LexusLadi; 03-06-15 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-06-15, 03:10 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The side mirrors are set to their current position with the seat one touch driver buttons on the door (1,2,set). It sounds like you have done that, hopefully with the mirrors in the driving position when you pushed set.
Old 03-06-15, 04:22 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Just a thought... I noticed that when I fold in a mirror (parking on a narrow street) and then unfold it, it is out of alignment. I have to select the other memory setting and then mine to get the mirror back in alignment. Any chance you are regularly folding the mirrors?
Old 03-06-15, 05:08 PM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rainbird
The side mirrors are set to their current position with the seat one touch driver buttons on the door (1,2,set). It sounds like you have done that, hopefully with the mirrors in the driving position when you pushed set.
Of course it has the memory seats (Hybrid model almost every option), That's what I was saying its the strangest thing. My setting is 1. her's is 2. Sometime's oddly I'll get in the car and my setting (1). is off by a considerable amount, (only for the mirror's). She also noticed it on her setting (2.) So I have to reset the mirror to the correct height and then put in park (usually at a light and press and hold (set & 1. together for it to learn again).

Then a week will go by then preset will be off again.
Old 03-06-15, 05:10 PM
LexusLadi
Rookie

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
Just a thought... I noticed that when I fold in a mirror (parking on a narrow street) and then unfold it, it is out of alignment. I have to select the other memory setting and then mine to get the mirror back in alignment. Any chance you are regularly folding the mirrors?
No. But that's a good idea next time I'll try cycling to her setting and then back to mine and see if that works.
Old 03-16-15, 12:47 PM
LexusLadi
Rookie

So the fix is to keep pushing the preset button(1). So originally I'd push it once and all the other setting's would start and finish, (seat, steering wheel and right side mirror). But for some reason the left rear view mirror needs a little help. I need to keep pushing the button a couple times until finally it was at the correct presetting.
Old 03-17-15, 09:19 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

If that is what got your mirror to work then that means the actuator in your mirror is going out.
Old 03-14-16, 03:27 PM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2009 RX350. I preset my mirror/seats and in a few days the mirror tilts (small increments) by itself where it becomes noticeable and I will have to adjust it manually.

Does anyone have a fix or solution? It is really annoying to keep adjusting it every couple of days.

Thanks
Old 03-16-16, 11:19 AM
tbm5690
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this happen on the driver's side mirror...it also routinely won't tilt down when put in Reverse like it should...the passenger side functions fine. I'm thinking it can't be the motor if it works 100% fine when manually adjusting with the directional switch?
Old 03-17-16, 06:35 AM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No help here. But I've noticed that the driver's side rear view mirror get out of adjustment after backing up. The mirror doesn't point down as it should, but then when shifting into drive, the mirror rotates slightly upward and out of alignment.

It is as if the plastic gear in the mirror is stripped.
Old 03-21-16, 10:33 AM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GWD
No help here. But I've noticed that the driver's side rear view mirror get out of adjustment after backing up. The mirror doesn't point down as it should, but then when shifting into drive, the mirror rotates slightly upward and out of alignment.

It is as if the plastic gear in the mirror is stripped.
Yes, same here - it only happens on the driver's side rear view mirror and I think you're right about it happening after backing up.

I checked the screws under the mirror and it looks like everything is tighten properly.

If anyone has a solution, please share.

Thanks