RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Drove RX330 today

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 07:43 PM
radar guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Drove RX330 today

Much improved over the 2003. More responsive steering, better brakes and better acceleration throughout the legal speed range. It also seems to be quieter on the highway. The steering, although improved, does not provide all the feedback I would hope for, but it's acceptable and better than 2003. The electroluminescent instrument lighting is a little garish, but acceptable. The seats are comfortable and the leather is soft. I could live without the brushed aluminum surrounding the radio console. The power rear door is kind of neat and likely to be useful.

Slightly firmer ride than the 2003. It felt better controlled in the corners.

Minor nit. The heated seat control is a hard to grab small rotary ****.

The CT dealer had two test vehicles. Both were AWD, Premium Plus Package, 18" wheels, heated seat/rain sensing wiper package. One had the Nav/Camera package, the other did not. One had Michelin tires the other Goodyear Eagles. 30 days wait for delivery.

Last edited by radar guy; 03-25-03 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-26-03, 08:08 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Minor nit. The heated seat control is a hard to grab small rotary ****.
The heated seat controls pop out if you push on them. You then can dial your desired temperature and then push them back in out of the way.
Old 03-26-03, 10:18 AM
radar guy
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by CDN_Lexus
The heated seat controls pop out if you push on them. You then can dial your desired temperature and then push them back in out of the way.
True. But to turn them off, you have to pop them out again and rotate them CCW until you reach the off position. Minor nit, but . . .
Old 03-28-03, 03:52 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

I just test drove one also, just about 2 hours ago. Not all the "fuses" were hooked up, so didn't get to test the stereo.

The first thing I noticed and loved was the pretty deep exhaust note; a plus since I'm coming out of an IS (I hope! ) Acceleration was good, the ride was very smooth yet a little firm, which is good. Turn signal stalk was smooth & quiet, nicely lit gauges. I love the power tilt/telescoping steering column! I love the feel of the wood/leather steering wheel also. The rear does have that huge pillar creating a big blind spot, but I can live with that.

Can't wait 'till I get my MSilverRX w/ 18's!
Old 03-29-03, 12:59 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Went to the reception at our dealership last night. Two RX 330s on display. One was silver and the other white. Didn't really spend much time in those two because there were a lot of people around it, but our sales took us outside to see the RX 330 on display. It was equipped with the sport package and was the only one on display right now so didn't get a chance to test drive it yet because they weren't sure whether it's sold or not, but we checked it out though. The headlights are really impressive. I could see the headlights turn and I don't know whether it was when he unlocked the car or turned it on but the headlights turn left and right at start before shining straight ahead. Looked pretty cool. The mirrors tilt down when in reverse which is quite helpful sometimes. When the car was in Low mode, it looked pretty impressive as well. The gap seemed considerably smaller. The rear door is a big improvement too I think. It doesn't have the power rear but it seems a lot easier to open and close. The interior is really impressive too. When I first sat in the driver's seat, the interior made me feel like I was in a sedan instead of an SUV. I can't wait until our car arrives now . Hopefully it won't take until May because he said the sport package will take a little longer since most of the orders are equipped with the premuim packages.
Old 03-30-03, 07:40 PM
ivan111
Driver School Candidate

Is the center console real aluminum or fake?
Old 03-30-03, 07:56 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

FAKE.

I say that because that it's a little disappointing when you actually touch and feel the surface. I expected something more like the feel of metal, if only a thin foil. But instead the silver surface is like a piece of silver AV equipment. If you've ever checked out some of those silver colored stereo equipment or boomboxes, it's a painted plastic surface. If that's the case, I prefer the "wood" surface even though I really do like the silver look.
Old 03-31-03, 11:07 AM
white01
Driver

It's a painted silver surface - they would have done better by making thecli/audio control, and window switch surfaces in wood also. Another cost cutting measure in the interior rear-view mirror. The last generation has interior color rear-view mirrors that don't look like the kind you order from the back of MotorTrend. I am going to have to drive a 330 for performance impressions. I got a chance to take a thorough look at one -inside and out - before the dealership opened. I'm sure it's the better car, but I honestly thought I would like it more. I can't say I 'm entirely blown away. Albeit, all the ones I saw had 18's they didn't have Nav or Lev. One last observation that three pod dash cluster is not all that unique anymore witness the vibe/matrix ES/GS models. One last very minor nitpick - why do they take away the chrome insert away from the outside dash vents they remain on the two middle ones. I have no-doubt they improved the vehicle but I think they should have gone the distance - still no rear reading lights? I hate to say it but the original - at least for now - is still the most distinctive.
Old 03-31-03, 12:48 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I really can't believe how hung up everyone is over the metallic center console. My SC430, which has one of the highest quality interiors in the industry (even reviewers who don't like the car admit the interior is beautiful) has metallic-look stereo and HAV faces. LIke it or not, most of the redesigned cars coming on the market have metallic-look trim mixed with wood or with no wood at all (i.e. Infiniti FX). You name it... Mercedes, BMW, Audi... all have brightwork in the interior. So if you want the old school all-wood look, Jaguar will soon be your last bastion. I know design is subjective, but IMO it adds an element of sportiness to what would be an otherwise pretty but bland interior. Lexus has also taken another cue directly from the SC430 with the triple-pod instrument cluster.

And lest you wonder why I'm lurking around the RX message board, I also own an RX300. Wonderful car, but I think the interior in the new one is a vast improvement and brings the car into a new era of automotive design.

Old 03-31-03, 12:59 PM
ivan111
Driver School Candidate

So the center console it is painted metal not painted plastic?

The RX330 interior is very impressive, the quality of the materials are very high......The only SUV interior that i put above the RX330 is the Cayenne Turbo that has leather all over the dash and in the Console.....

Other than that the RX330 interior is right up there with the best in the businees......

From my part i like the metallic look of the center console.......The infiniti FX45 and other cars that have metallic trims are real aluminum not Fake ones......

Last edited by ivan111; 03-31-03 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-31-03, 02:26 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

RX has painted plastic, not real alum.

I think the highest quality interior (percieved quality ie: materials) is the VW Touareg by far. RX is a beaut!
Old 03-31-03, 10:52 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

To each, his/her own. I like the 330 interior!
Old 04-01-03, 12:36 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw the new RX at my dealer open house today. I don't think anybody has already mentioned that there are only cupholders for 4. and no ash trays (I don't smoke, but I thought this interesting). Also, spare tire is cranked down from the bottom of the car. Salesman thought that there may be an ashtray option since the Japanese are big smokers.

It looked to me like the black rubber duckie on the roof was indeed the new radio diversity antenna. Also, the rear spoiler is now integrated into the rear door and no longer an option.

My biggest peeve is that the CD player doesn't use magazines of CDs. I don't understand how customer research could have come up with that. They didn't have a model with the BAM (big a** moonroof) on display.

Refreshments were every bit as good as I was expecting.

Overall, I'm happy I have an RX300.
Old 04-01-03, 02:02 PM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by bob2200
I saw the new RX at my dealer open house today. I don't think anybody has already mentioned that there are only cupholders for 4. and no ash trays (I don't smoke, but I thought this interesting). Also, spare tire is cranked down from the bottom of the car. Salesman thought that there may be an ashtray option since the Japanese are big smokers.
The ash tray kit is a dealer accessory.
Accessories

There's actually 5 cup holders. 2 in the front console, 2 in the rear middle seat console, and 1 pop out one to the left of the steering wheel.

Overall, I'm happy I have an RX300.
As well you should be. They are very nice and I'm not sure the 330 would be enough of an upgrade if I owned a 300.

John

Last edited by j4ydubs; 04-01-03 at 02:05 PM.