RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Install Eagle Eye After Market Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 08:23 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Install Eagle Eye After Market Tail Lights

Okay so the next "mod" is done. I have been bored with the rear look of the car and was looking to change the back up a bit. The "blackish-chrome" look with the silver duco needed to be broken up. So I went on a journey of finding various tail lights that I wanted for my car but the majority I found were not DOT/SAE marked meaning they weren't "street legal". So after searching and questions and questions I decided to go on a new set of tail lights. I am happy with them and love the new more modernised look it lends the rear vs the stock OEM lights.

I took some pictures and wrote a little guide here that frankly can be used by anyone to replace tail lights whether they be aftermarket or not. The only thing not in the picture is the wiring connections but they are pretty much plug and play.

The stock OEM look

Open the boot and remove the little panel (which you would normally access to change a broken light bulb. Once this is removed, you will see 3 bolts that need to be unscrewed. While you are here may as well unplug the lights (about 3-4 plugs to disconnect).

Another good thing to do is loosen this black plastic above the light. This helps with removing / installing as the plastic rest on a few notches on the actual tail light. Loosing it makes it easier to remove.

Main light removed. You might be able to see where the tail light and the black plastic sit.

Test fit. Notice the difference between the full black and the stock OEM look. The design is obviously RX400h.

Remove the hatch trim both upper and lower. When you remove the upper remove the light for the cargo area (just an unplug)

Remove the bolts for the inner light. There are 3 that hold these in. You will notice to the bottom of the picture the tail light bulb which will no longer be used.

Another view of the inner light bolts.

Stock lights removed

New tail lights installed (right)

New tail lights installed (left)

I found fitment spot on. I did have 1 issue with the passenger side (left for us Aussies) where the main light would not seat properly. Found that the padding on the replacement unit was causing it to not sit flush. The padding had to be removed to sit flush. I checked the stock lights and noticed that from factory the stock light on the passenger side did not have the padding and the right did.

I do have the lights out display on the dash and while it's there I will look to get some resistance thing to get rid of the "error" but for now it's more an annoyance than anything. The only drama I had with these lights was that I tightened 1 bolt and was a bit forceful breaking the thread on the light itself. I did also notice that 1 LED cover is a bit wobbly but other than that perfect fit.
Old 06-07-15, 08:32 AM
MerlinT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, thanks for sharing
Old 06-09-15, 06:20 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..............

How about sharing a pic of the tails lit up??
Old 12-06-15, 10:07 AM
BGinLA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

Thanks for the post ! Taking off my tail light. 3 bolts and 2 bulbs no problem, but there is a switch/plug as well for the life of me I can't seem to get off. Looks like pressure fit bit don't want to force it. Do you remember this switch and how you pulled if off??
It's the only thing left before pulling he lamp off clean. Thanks! Question

Originally Posted by draco
Okay so the next "mod" is done. I have been bored with the rear look of the car and was looking to change the back up a bit. The "blackish-chrome" look with the silver duco needed to be broken up. So I went on a journey of finding various tail lights that I wanted for my car but the majority I found were not DOT/SAE marked meaning they weren't "street legal". So after searching and questions and questions I decided to go on a new set of tail lights. I am happy with them and love the new more modernised look it lends the rear vs the stock OEM lights.

I took some pictures and wrote a little guide here that frankly can be used by anyone to replace tail lights whether they be aftermarket or not. The only thing not in the picture is the wiring connections but they are pretty much plug and play.

The stock OEM look

Open the boot and remove the little panel (which you would normally access to change a broken light bulb. Once this is removed, you will see 3 bolts that need to be unscrewed. While you are here may as well unplug the lights (about 3-4 plugs to disconnect).

Another good thing to do is loosen this black plastic above the light. This helps with removing / installing as the plastic rest on a few notches on the actual tail light. Loosing it makes it easier to remove.

Main light removed. You might be able to see where the tail light and the black plastic sit.

Test fit. Notice the difference between the full black and the stock OEM look. The design is obviously RX400h.

Remove the hatch trim both upper and lower. When you remove the upper remove the light for the cargo area (just an unplug)

Remove the bolts for the inner light. There are 3 that hold these in. You will notice to the bottom of the picture the tail light bulb which will no longer be used.

Another view of the inner light bolts.

Stock lights removed

New tail lights installed (right)

New tail lights installed (left)

I found fitment spot on. I did have 1 issue with the passenger side (left for us Aussies) where the main light would not seat properly. Found that the padding on the replacement unit was causing it to not sit flush. The padding had to be removed to sit flush. I checked the stock lights and noticed that from factory the stock light on the passenger side did not have the padding and the right did.

I do have the lights out display on the dash and while it's there I will look to get some resistance thing to get rid of the "error" but for now it's more an annoyance than anything. The only drama I had with these lights was that I tightened 1 bolt and was a bit forceful breaking the thread on the light itself. I did also notice that 1 LED cover is a bit wobbly but other than that perfect fit.
Old 12-06-15, 03:25 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't remember the exact one you might be referring to but for me the majority were a bit of a pain to remove. For me gentle wiggle while applying a little force to remove it.