RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Old problem, first time owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 05:40 PM
Laniconrad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old problem, first time owner

OnApril 3, 2014, I purchased a 2007 Lexus RX350 with 60,000 miles. It wasfirst driven in June or July of 2006, and I was told by numerous Lexus ownersthat Lexus was absolutely great about any problems I might have, Lexus wasfabulous about putting customer service and care first.
Sometimein mid-July, when my mechanic was changing the oil, he noticed the rack and pinionsteering was leaking. I did someresearch and discovered the leak was relatively common in the 2007 RX350 Lexus’and most owners found they didn’t need to do anything about the leak unless itwas severe. I chose not to fix it atthat time.
Inlate November, early December 2015, I noticed condensation behind both headlamplenses. The headlamp on the driver’sside was beginning to rust and the ballast had already been ruined. To fix the headlamps would require a full headlampassembly. I called a local dealership andwas told there was a voluntary recall or warranty…I don’t remember the exactwords.
Icalled corporate to inquire, someone took my information and I received a callback from someone in the department that handles these issues, it was then I learnedthat the voluntary recall had expired. Itwas good for nine (9) years. So from thetime the car was first driven in 2006) and the date I called was 6 months afterthe expiration date and there was nothing they were willing to do.
Nothing,“I’m so sorry but there is nothing we can do!” Really? Six (6) months too late for a vehicle that had 60,000 miles onit.
Now a car that I’vehad less than two (2) years currently with 80,000 miles, will require severalthousand dollars to fix the headlamps.
Old 01-14-16, 06:41 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a couple of thousand dollars if you want the dealer to replace I it. But if you go with aftermarket headlamps, and install them yourself, you can do if for $232. Assuming you dont have AFS headlamps, you can get the headlights on Amazon on the link below. There are DIY instructions on this site. Just do a search. Or you can pay a competent mechanic to do the work which should only be 2 hrs of labor. Either way, it's a lot cheaper than pay the dealership. I have some headlights I bought on Amazon but just haven't gotten around to installing them. They are good quality and will make my RX look new again.

Amazon.com: 04-06 Lexus RX330 07-09 RX350 06-09 RX400h Headlights Headlamps Pair Set: Automotive Amazon.com: 04-06 Lexus RX330 07-09 RX350 06-09 RX400h Headlights Headlamps Pair Set: Automotive

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...st-19-a-2.html
Attached Thumbnails Old problem, first time owner-20151124_143841.jpg   Old problem, first time owner-20151124_144147.jpg  

Last edited by LSBen; 01-14-16 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 08:27 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Old problem, first time owner

Consider headlamps from a wrecker and get a local garage to install them or diy.

Car-part.com. separate hid lamps are quoted at 350 and up.

Fwiw, I just returned a set of aftermarket headlamps from ebay. Same boxes as the poster above. They are decent if you are originally equipped with halogen lamps.
They will not work with cars equipped with hid or projection lenses. Your wire harness will not work.

Last edited by fastnoypi; 01-14-16 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-15-16, 06:02 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I would tell lexus that you called the dealer, they put you on a waiting list for new head lights, you never got a call, and you are just checking up on it now.
Old 01-15-16, 08:45 AM
LSBen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Consider headlamps from a wrecker and get a local garage to install them or diy.

Car-part.com. separate hid lamps are quoted at 350 and up.

Fwiw, I just returned a set of aftermarket headlamps from ebay. Same boxes as the poster above. They are decent if you are originally equipped with halogen lamps.
They will not work with cars equipped with hid or projection lenses. Your wire harness will not work.
Hi fastnoypi, I was wondering why the wiring harness would not work in your RX. Mine are HID and from what I can see, the existing wiring harness would slip thru the opening in the back cover and attach directly to the Existing HID bulb. If the opening is too small on the back cover, it would be simple enough to use a dremmel to make the hole a little bigger. That's the only issue I could see without actually having installed it yet. Or possibly reuse the existing back cover which has the wiring harness already slipped thru it
Attached Thumbnails Old problem, first time owner-20151214_144203.jpg  

Last edited by LSBen; 01-15-16 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-15-16, 10:03 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by LSBen
Hi fastnoypi, I was wondering why the wiring harness would not work in your RX. Mine are HID and from what I can see, the wiring harness would slip thru the opening in the back cover and attach directly to the Existing HID bulb. If the opening is too small on the back cover, it would be simple enough to use a dremmel to make the hole a little bigger. That's the only issue I could see without actually having installed it yet. Or possibly reuse the existing back cover which has the wiring harness already slipped thru it
the harness plugs simply would not fit with the bulbs provided. I suspect some of my oem pins have to do with level adjustment not found on the aftermarket lamps.
I bought them as a plug and play replacement and did not want to retrofit.

If it is not too much trouble for you, remove one oem lamp and try matching the harness to the bulbs. You do not need to remove a wheel but it would make removing the wheel well liner a lot easier if your driver handle is too long.
I hope you have a better experience with your aftermarkets.

Last edited by fastnoypi; 01-15-16 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-15-16, 10:29 AM
dmanwi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased a 2007 and the drivers side does get some condensation. The previous owner had it in and Lexus would not replace as it was 'normal'. It was delivered in December 2006 so I am now past the 9 years.

Wasn't there a thread that shows how to seal up the housings? I can't find it at the moment.
Old 01-15-16, 10:53 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by dmanwi
I just purchased a 2007 and the drivers side does get some condensation. The previous owner had it in and Lexus would not replace as it was 'normal'. It was delivered in December 2006 so I am now past the 9 years.

Wasn't there a thread that shows how to seal up the housings? I can't find it at the moment.
it was referenced in post #2
Old 01-15-16, 11:37 AM
LSBen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
the harness plugs simply would not fit with the bulbs provided. I suspect some of my oem pins have to do with level adjustment not found on the aftermarket lamps.
I bought them as a plug and play replacement and did not want to retrofit.

If it is not too much trouble for you, remove one oem lamp and try matching the harness to the bulbs. You do not need to remove a wheel but it would make removing the wheel well liner a lot easier if your driver handle is too long.
I hope you have a better experience with your aftermarkets.
The headlights I received is just the headlamp shell and does not come with new HID bulbs. My existing wiring harness will work the same with the existing HID bulbs. It sounds like you may have AFS headlamps that has a different internal figment for the bulb. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-15-16, 11:44 AM
LSBen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dmanwi

Yes. Essentially you remove the headlamp and use silicone around the headlight housing then reinstall. This is the approach I would use except that my lenses are badly aged, has UV light damage and looks only marginally better polished and sealed. See DIY instructions on the 2nd post as fastnoypi indicated.

Last edited by LSBen; 01-15-16 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 05:43 AM
jwrichter
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Laniconrad
OnApril 3, 2014, I purchased a 2007 Lexus RX350 with 60,000 miles. It wasfirst driven in June or July of 2006, and I was told by numerous Lexus ownersthat Lexus was absolutely great about any problems I might have, Lexus wasfabulous about putting customer service and care first.
Sometimein mid-July, when my mechanic was changing the oil, he noticed the rack and pinionsteering was leaking. I did someresearch and discovered the leak was relatively common in the 2007 RX350 Lexus’and most owners found they didn’t need to do anything about the leak unless itwas severe. I chose not to fix it atthat time.
Inlate November, early December 2015, I noticed condensation behind both headlamplenses. The headlamp on the driver’sside was beginning to rust and the ballast had already been ruined. To fix the headlamps would require a full headlampassembly. I called a local dealership andwas told there was a voluntary recall or warranty…I don’t remember the exactwords.
Icalled corporate to inquire, someone took my information and I received a callback from someone in the department that handles these issues, it was then I learnedthat the voluntary recall had expired. Itwas good for nine (9) years. So from thetime the car was first driven in 2006) and the date I called was 6 months afterthe expiration date and there was nothing they were willing to do.
Nothing,“I’m so sorry but there is nothing we can do!” Really? Six (6) months too late for a vehicle that had 60,000 miles onit.
Now a car that I’vehad less than two (2) years currently with 80,000 miles, will require severalthousand dollars to fix the headlamps.

Very simple fix, find a competent Lexus mechanic and have him take the lenses off and re- seal. There is an extensive thread on this with step by step instructions in this forum. The cost in only the labor and a $4.00 tube of sealant. I did this to my 2007 before the recall came out, 3 yrs ago with no problems after the repair.
Old 02-07-16, 01:33 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had headlight condensation issue but due to cracks in the glass. I fixed the cracks with Dollar Store super glue.
Old 02-08-16, 06:54 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..........

Condensation issue gets fixed for free by Lexus...........

Follow this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...densation.html
Old 02-08-16, 06:08 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Some of us are past the nine year warranty.
Old 02-09-16, 08:51 AM
dmanwi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine 2007 RX 350 first was driven in Dec 06 so it is now past the 9 year warranty. I know the previous owner had the lights looked at in the past 2 years and the dealer indicated they were not worthy or replacement. I have not tried to take it back in since I have had it.