RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Possible new RX330 owner with a question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 09:24 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible new RX330 owner with a question.

The Title should have read RX330. Thanks.

'm thinking about buying the 04 RX330 for the wife. I've never had an SUV or similar type vehicle before, so my main question is about the difference between the AWD and FWD. I like the AWD but what would I miss if I got the FWD? I'm not planning on taking the car offroading. It will be driven just like any other 4 door sedan. Would I regret not getting the AWD or would I not even notice a difference? What about MPG between the two? The reason why I ask is because our one and only Lexus dealer in Hawaii (Oahu) said it might take 4-5 months if I special order a specific RX330. They have a few packages in stock now, but not all have AWD and they may not have the color combo I want in AWD. If I special order one I want to make sure that the AWD is worth the 4-5 month wait. Thanks.

On a side note, in Hawaii we don't get any navigation option for obvious reasons, but what suprised me is we don't get alot of the other options as well. No DVD entertainment system, no reverse camera, no tilt side mirrors, no active HID system (The one that moves left to right when turning), no 18" rim option, no air bag suspension. The only choice we have is base, premium package, and premium plus package. Anyway, the only thing I really wanted was the 18" rims and DVD entertainment system, but I guess I can get rims later and go aftermarket for the DVD system. Thanks.

Chris

Last edited by CK6Speed; 04-21-03 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-21-03, 09:57 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

given that you are in HI and don't plan on doing any type of offroading, i think FWD will be fine. i have an AWD, but that's for versatility on ski trips, etc. if you don't ever anticipate needing the AWD capability, you will probably never think about it again. i'm sure the FWD is also fully capable of handling mild off road conditions as well, just nothing too steep or slippery.

the mpg difference is 2 mpg city/hwy, in favor of the FWD. that's roughly 10% better than the AWD.

about those additional goodies, it is a shame that they don't offer those things in HI, but some are paired w/ other features, which is why you can't get them:

reverse camera - can only come with some type of screen, in this case, the nav screen, which HI is not going to get

AFS lighting and air suspension - can only come as part of the performance package, which is pretty limited in general at this time, even on the mainland.

as for the stock DVD and 18" rims, i'm sure the 18" will become available very shortly as a stand alone option and you'll probably be able to find them on e-bay in the near future once people start going aftermarket on their stock 18's. the stock DVD system is good, but i think there are others out there that are better. i have the stock DVD system, and although it's nice w/ the wireless headphones and all, i've seen a lot of other DVD installs on this forum which are very well done and fully integrated w/ the car's stereo.

bottom line though, you should get exactly what you want !! i confront this kind of decision every time i am looking for a car. and i know the feeling of "i wish i had . . ." if you really like something in particular, i wouldn't compromise too much.