RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

These stock speakers are killing me

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 10:23 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default These stock speakers are killing me

We this weekend I tackled my wife messed up stereo in her 2005 330. It's a non ML system with nav. I replaced the head unit with a nice alpine single din with a pocket underneath I also pu in an old but good sub and amp in. My problem is the stock pilar tweeters and mids get so distorted in painful to say the least. Has anyone had this problem yet? Also has anyone changed out there stock speakers? And if so can you tell me which ones you did and how it sounded afterwords. Thanks in advance👍
Old 04-04-16, 12:34 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by socal3
We this weekend I tackled my wife messed up stereo in her 2005 330. It's a non ML system with nav. I replaced the head unit with a nice alpine single din with a pocket underneath I also pu in an old but good sub and amp in. My problem is the stock pilar tweeters and mids get so distorted in painful to say the least. Has anyone had this problem yet? Also has anyone changed out there stock speakers? And if so can you tell me which ones you did and how it sounded afterwords. Thanks in advance👍
I would recommend these: Front doors - JBL GT7-6 http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All...ir=FFBrand|JBL
Rear doors - Rockford Fosgate Prime R1525X2 http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All...Brand|Rockford Fosgate

I provided those links (crutchfield) because you will be rest assured that the specified speakers will fit perfectly; moreover they come with all installation gears FOC free of charge.
Old 04-04-16, 12:50 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hisstojay
I would recommend these: Front doors - JBL GT7-6 http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All...ir=FFBrand|JBL
Rear doors - Rockford Fosgate Prime R1525X2 http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All...Brand|Rockford Fosgate

I provided those links (crutchfield) because you will be rest assured that the specified speakers will fit perfectly; moreover they come with all installation gears FOC free of charge.
You can as well get them on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+Prime+R1525X2
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...Ck%3AJBL+GT7-6

I guess they will be more cheaper on Amazon but I can't guarantee the installation accessories.....good luck.
Old 04-04-16, 05:24 AM
gasconguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also recommend removing the A pillars and disconnecting those damn dash speakers.
Old 04-04-16, 08:15 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gasconguy
I would also recommend removing the A pillars and disconnecting those damn dash speakers.
First off thanks for all the advice, I'm about to order the speakers today. Those dash speakers do look like they take a beating up there. Also any info on removal of the A pillars and which tweeters you used to upgrade them with. Also I forgot to add that the new speakers are just going to be a plug and play running off the alpine head unit that should be okay I hope.
Thanks Daniel.

Last edited by socal3; 04-04-16 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-04-16, 12:33 PM
gasconguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The A pillars, first off, have airbags in there, so disconnect the battery. They have a weird clip at the top and then a standard push-in clip mid way down. So you want to pull the pillar out toward to opposite door, and once the clips disengage (I broke both the top black ones and found them to be unnecessary), pull the pillar up toward the roof.

I did not replace these speakers; that would be a whole other process. I simply found the wiring harness that went into the little pillar speaker and unplugged it, killing both it and the dash speaker. Thank god too, it has been so much better.
Old 04-04-16, 02:00 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gasconguy
The A pillars, first off, have airbags in there, so disconnect the battery. They have a weird clip at the top and then a standard push-in clip mid way down. So you want to pull the pillar out toward to opposite door, and once the clips disengage (I broke both the top black ones and found them to be unnecessary), pull the pillar up toward the roof.

I did not replace these speakers; that would be a whole other process. I simply found the wiring harness that went into the little pillar speaker and unplugged it, killing both it and the dash speaker. Thank god too, it has been so much better.
Wow so your saying that the tweeter isn't accessible from taking the pillar off? That stinks. But I know what your saying the distortion in the stock speakers up there is horrible with this aftermarket head unit.
Old 04-04-16, 02:19 PM
uh2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't necessarily need to take the 3" squawkers out of the dash or disconnect them. I replaced the stock A pillar tweeters and the midrange in the doors with an Alpine component set and it sounds fine (unless your squawkers are blown).

Yes, the tweeter is accessible when you take the pillar off, but what gasconguy is trying to say is that the wires for the squawkers are accessible where the tweeter mount is. You can disconnect it from there if you need to.

This component set (Crutchfield was the cheapest when I ordered it in December) fits perfectly in all the stock locations:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS6...mnews=13318911

You really don't need anything in the rear doors. I just ended up disconnecting those at the amp. Personal preference as always, but with a proper amp and decent set of drivers up front you won't be noticing the sound from the rear doors.

EDIT: I removed the stock tweeters from their mount and reused the mount with the Alpine tweeters. Close fit, but it looks totally stock.
Old 04-04-16, 05:20 PM
Pepp
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Speakers

Hi,
I've always been a big fan of infinity speakers. They are a 3 ohm speaker that runs a true 4 ohm with the speaker wire. I own the infinity reference 6500cx components and they sound excellent. I have always dealt with Cruthfield and have had great service. You will save money when you add up all the equipment they give you. They will provide the necessary bracket needed and wire plugs so you don't have to cut your speaker wires. If interested it just so happens the ref 6500's are on sale from 249. To 149. (A fantastic deal) and no I don't work for Cruthfield, just recommend them. I also agree with uh2 that rear speakers aren't required. Your stereo is supposed to sound just like your at a concert with all the music coming from in front of you.

Last edited by Pepp; 04-04-16 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 04-05-16, 12:21 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

You can as well get them on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+Prime+R1525X2
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...Ck%3AJBL+GT7-6

I guess they will be more cheaper on Amazon but I can't guarantee the installation accessories.....good luck.

Originally Posted by Pepp
Hi,
I've always been a big fan of infinity speakers. They are a 3 ohm speaker that runs a true 4 ohm with the speaker wire. I own the infinity reference 6500cx components and they sound excellent. I have always dealt with Cruthfield and have had great service. You will save money when you add up all the equipment they give you. They will provide the necessary bracket needed and wire plugs so you don't have to cut your speaker wires. If interested it just so happens the ref 6500's are on sale from 249. To 149. (A fantastic deal) and no I don't work for Cruthfield, just recommend them. I also agree with uh2 that rear speakers aren't required. Your stereo is supposed to sound just like your at a concert with all the music coming from in front of you.
Pepp is right regarding Crutchfield!!!! I don't work for Crutchfield too but I can guarantee the services they render; besides all speakers come with all necessary accessories and fit perfectly without splicing any wires. I remember I got a pair of JVC speakers for my 2001 Mazda Millenia to replace the stock speakers. Easy installation with all the gears and the sound......SWEET!!!!!! Just check Crutchfield.
Old 04-06-16, 01:29 PM
uh2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pepp
Hi,
I used Infinity in my ...Infiniti MX35. Good stuff.