RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anybody have the new laser cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 05:16 PM
drurywoodson
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Anybody have the new laser cruise control?

My salesman is telling me that Lexus is having problems with the adaptive laser cruise control and isn't going to be offering it this year. Does anybody know if this is true?

Also, he says they've decided not to offer the Lexus Link until they can get it upgraded to work on digital phone systems. Has anybody else heard this?
Old 04-29-03, 08:45 PM
Jedi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yep

I was told just the other day that I couldn't order the adaptive cruise control that I so badly wanted, as it was not available yet and they could not give me a definitive date either. As for the other one, don't know anything about as I didn't realy want it..sorry.

PS Where in Cali?

Last edited by Jedi; 05-03-03 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-29-03, 08:54 PM
drurywoodson
Rookie

Santa Clarita
Old 04-29-03, 08:56 PM
drurywoodson
Rookie

I was daydreaming at the Lexus site again today after I posted my question, and I noticed that they had changed the configurator. Cruise control is not an available option anymore when you are building your Lexus Rx.
Old 04-30-03, 07:46 AM
jpappas123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen it yet on the RX330. But I saw a new Sienna that had it at a Toyota dealer in Pittsburgh. Unfortunatly the vehicle was sold so I couldnt test drive it. But they did let me look inside.
Old 04-30-03, 07:17 PM
techlover
Driver School Candidate

Question

i have a rx330 on order with the laser cruise control option. its been 5 weeks and havent heard anything about it not being available. i hope i dont have a problem here as i really want this option. when someone gets a definitive answer from lexus please let me know. my salesman said he hadnt heard anything about a problem. he said it has been an option on the 430 for quite some time and it seems to work fine.. andy
Old 05-02-03, 05:27 PM
amontgom
Driver School Candidate

Default Laser Cruise Availability

I called both Lexus Customer Service and my dealer regarding this issue, since I also placed an order for a vehicle with this option. Customer Service was clueless as to this rumor, and they stated that this was still an available option on the RX330. (Laser Cruise is also still listed as an Individual factory option on the RX Price/Options page.) My dealer called Lexus specifically regarding my order, and it is still on schedule -- with Laser Cruise.

Andi
Old 05-02-03, 11:04 PM
Aristo8GS
Driver School Candidate

My dealer told me that none of the RX330s built for the US will have the adaptive cruise control for the time being. They never told me the reason why. Maybe they won't have it until they move production to Canada.
Old 05-03-03, 10:43 AM
lextek
Driver

Laser Cruise IS available on US models. Those of you wanting this option should have absolutely no problem at all getting it. Apparently a rumor has been started. DO keep in mind that if the laser head assembly located just below the front bumper takes some damage, usually by a rock/pebble, that it will sting. $3863.00, that price is for the LS430, im assuming that is a good ballpark figure for the RX330 as well. Hmm State Farm etc. will love these i bet!

Lextek.

Last edited by lextek; 05-03-03 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-03-03, 11:02 AM
drurywoodson
Rookie

I'll believe it's available when somebody on this forum says they've actually seen an Rx with the option mounted.

Also, +$3600 to fix seems a little steep for a $600 option.
Old 05-03-03, 11:21 AM
lextek
Driver

Not only have seen it, have used it. It's available.
Old 05-03-03, 11:30 AM
drurywoodson
Rookie

Well, that's different! You're saying you've seen and used it on an Rx330? What dealership was this at? In what part of the country?
Old 05-03-03, 01:46 PM
lextek
Driver

Yes, used it on an RX330 in Atlanta on seperate vehicles. I saw multiple adaptive laser cruise control equipped RX330's on seperate occasions. I feel 100% confident you and any perspective buyer looking to have this option on their vehicle will have it.

The vehicles are showing up at dealerships now with the laser cruise installed. I know this to be true in Atlanta, Houston and just about any dealership in Lexus' Southern Area.

It has been very dependable on the LS430's with minimal problems. The main ones being inoperative in hard rain, direct sunlight etc. Be sure to read everything in the owners manual and understand the limitations to the Adaptive Laser Cruise Control. I feel it will be just as dependable on the RX330 as the LS430.

Enjoy!
Old 05-31-03, 11:20 AM
Petrie2001
Rookie

what happens if the car in front of you switches lanes? does your car maintain the same speed? or does it alert you while at the same time slow down or speed up?

thanks,
peter.
Old 05-31-03, 09:11 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

I have it - and as a matter of fact just used it tonight - when a car is in front of you the cruise display shows a crude image of a car - kinda like a kid's drawing - when the car in front of you slows down the system will "alarm" and slow you down - when the car in front of you changes lanes the display goes blank. Another cool aspect of the cruise is you can increase your speed in increments of 5mph by pushing upward on the cruise stick.

Quick Reply: Anybody have the new laser cruise control?