RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx 330 with over 200k, reliable for college?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-16, 12:21 PM
Lizfarist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx 330 with over 200k, reliable for college?

Okay here's my sad love story with the 2004 RX 330,

2 years ago I went to my friends dealership while she was getting her BMW repaired, and I started looking around at the vehicles just for fun. Mostly BMWs, and then there was this little pearl in the middle of them all, (not kidding the paint color was pearl white). And I just had to test drive it. I didn't even pay attention to the L decal, I just had to get in it. Once in a fell in love and couldn't imagine not having it in my near future. I was driving a Ford Mustang at the time, and even though I adore my car because we've been through a lot, it's always been a love hate relationship with that car. Somethings always broken, and needs fixing.
I asked the owner what he wanted, of course 2 years ago they were asking 13k for them. I laughed so hard the dealer got angry. That's how much I paid for my mustang almost brand new. This Lexus had over 100k on it, and I couldn't imagine paying that much.
Needless to say I walked away.
Now 2 years later I've moved into the snowy terrain of MinneSNOWTA, and my poor mustang just isn't going to survive much longer if he has to drive in one more winter. It might as well be a little speed boat when it's on ice.
I remembered. My love for the Lexus and have started looking for my "winter car" if you're from the south like I am that may sound crazy, but it's normal up here to have a summer car, AND a winter car. I've found many 2004 RXs with over 100k and I even watched videos on how to haggle. I feel like I'm ready to go to the dealership and work my magic, but I don't want to low ball them, or get stuck with a lemon.

Can the great people of the Lexus community tell me what to watch out for with a Lexus of over 200k miles, and how low of an offer could I give?
The dealer wants 8k, but I'm prepared to pay 5k.

Thank you!
Old 06-18-16, 01:16 PM
numbafree
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Liz,
welcome to the forum. If you want to safe money, you should purchase the RX330 from a private seller. The dealer will never drop that low for a sale. ever. They have to do inspections and go through more hoops than a private seller. nada guide and kelley blue book are good starting points to figure out the market value.

You should make friends with someone that is handy with cars, or simply pay a mechanic to do an inspection.

I am female, I think you are as well. I wrench on all my own cars and motorcycles, but i don't know how to work on the engine, hoping to take a class for that.

Anyway, for me, I wouldn't buy a car with 200k miles on it. A tad high, and by then, the car might have had multiple owners.

150k miles is about the limit for me on cars. But if you want to buy a 200k car, it should have:

1) a new alternator

2) a new water pump and thermostat

3) a new timing belt.

4) relatively fresh fluids (rear differential, transfer case, tranny, engine, brake fluid, and coolant)

Maintenance history is key, so if the car doesn't have a paper history, I would wait, that is if I were you. For me, paperwork isn't as crucial, because I would do any work the car needed myself.

Fluids:

1) brake fluid should be a pale yellow in color, the darker the color (like a bottom fermenting lager) the older the brake fluid is, which is not good.

2) coolant: should not be cloudy or look like a milkshake. My coolant is orange in color, but you can research that and see what the preferred color coolant it is.

3) engine oil: check the level, it should be full, and not dirty.

4) transmission fluid: if it's new it should be red in color. check that from that dipstick.

5) personally I check the brake pads (front) just to see how much is left on them.

Out here n california a 200k miles RX330 goes for about $7000-$8000 depending on what the options are on the car.

good luck. be patient, don't get sucked into a specific car. there are MANY RX's to be had.